Running problem

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Darma Sucipto, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hey guys...
    i have a problem here. its about running.. Besides badminton, i also runs for school actually. I am running 400m, 800m & 1500m.
    I can maintain my speed along the run actually. but the trouble comes when its about 90m+ away from the finishing line. Generally is we have to use up all our energy to sprint to the finish line. My problem is when i am about to reach finish line, my legs have no more energy to sprint. My breathing is still alright and can push somemore. but my leg is like stoping me to increase my speed because its not strong enough!:eek:
    I know the problem obviously is my leg not strong enough. but what kind of good workout on my leg to strenghten it? is it cycling, weightlifting etc?.. how long and often should i do?
    thanks a lot...

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Don't think leg strength is the problem but rather it's technique & lactate build up. If you want to do strength the squat excercise is the best. I train with/alongside national track champions and most of the time they're either squating or don't know what it's called in english right now but it's for upperbody so it's not really relevant to your question. How much & how long is a bit wieght dependant so better ask your teacher/coach. G'luck!
    You can still breathe after 390 meters :eek: :D Then you better start a bit quicker next time ;)

3. Darma Sucipto

what kind of squats? is it squat down and stand up for few seconds?? the one i am doing now is jogging 30 minutes every morning and do alot of legs workout in the gym. I dont have a running coach because i am more concentrating in my badminton now. I do train badminton everyday, but i just take running for fun and for my phisical fitness. yeah...i just want to know a little bit of running skills... so, am i doing the right things?

4. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I used to do running for my school in the local county school based events.

the following is just my opinion, I may not be entirely correct, nor if I give any advice, do you have to necessarily follow it or take it for truth.

- I think partially you need to mentally KNOW you can sprint. Don't think you're too tired to run, don't think "oh it'll be like last race where I couldn't do it the last 100 or 90m", you have to really WANT to win in running, it's probably the only sport I was ever ultra-competitive in (in terms of the NEED to win)

Other than that, Sprinting is leg Muscle power not necessarily the fitness of that muscle which is more important for Long distance running. To build up strength in sprinting, squatting with weights was quite effective, not too heavy though, something like (depending on your age & strength!) 5KG on each arm was good for me, I could do 10/15kg but that wasn't very efficient back then. Tecnique is important on that so as to not injure yourself. I did something like sets of 30, then wait (i trained my arms also so did that in the break), then another set of 30. Or you could decline in sets, e.g. start of, do 40, break, do 30, break, do 20, break, do 10, then done.

I also used to do a lot of Rowing, we had a cheap rowing machine bought by the rest of my family which I used once every night. Very good exercise.

Remember you need a good diet and lots of protein intake for muscle building and repair though, and lots of carbs Before the run to ensure you have energy.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

http://www.strengthcats.com/classictrackfield.htm
    First part looks pretty good. Deadlift is what I was looking for. Trying to find some more sites right now. You're doing more middle distance events than pure sprint so best to look for middle distance training programs. Will combine better with badminton as well :) Running technique though is totally different so better not change that even though it's essential for sprinting.
    I see nothing wrong with what you're doing as far as badminton is concerned but there have been alot of threads for that so you can always pick up some more ideas there.

#5 demolidor, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  6. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

7. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I'd also like to add, there are entire techniques to running those races. My PE teacher always taught me to Sprint the first 100M of the 400M race for example, slow to a very fast jogging pace keeping in front/up with the rest, and then sprint the last 100M again.

You might want to ask your physical education teacher for such advice if they haven't already told your class or whatever. Asking never hurts, and it's free!

8. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    When your tired, the only thing that matters then is your determination. Push harder.

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yep totally correct. Michael Johnson always says that: get up to speed in the first 100, relax on the back straight but keep your pace, speed up a bit in the bend and then allout on the last 100........

"Jeremy Wariner's 400m tips
    I'm Jeremy Wariner the Olympic 400m champ and these are my tips.
    Stay focused at the start and block out the crowd and other athletes.
    Go out hard and look for the person in the lane in front.
    You'll be hurting at the end but work hard and think about the finish line. "
    Video

More stuff ( :eek: too much info):
    "Message:
    Im 14 years old and i run a 400 in 53 seconds... really if you look at the 400 its a sprint endurance race. I have a training guide from Clyde Hart (Trained Michael Johnson, Darrold Williamson, and Jeremy Wariner). You want to work on your endurance as much as you train on your sprints. For endurance do the thing Pre's high school coach told him to do in his spare time... run to one telephone pole then sprint to the next one. Then for sprints do alot of 50's and 100's. A good way to run a 400 is to get out hard your first 60 Meters, shoot out the turn into the backstretch and remain your speed and position. If your not infront the last turn is the most important part cus its your chance to get infront if you run hard enough, then basically just use up the rest of your energy the last 100." Pretty usefull stuff from this page more on it: http://www.american-trackandfield.com/messageboard/messages/239.html

#9 demolidor, Feb 10, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  10. Darma Sucipto

thanks guys and girls!!!

11. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Or the glory and hot babes waiting for you at the finish line ? (assuming you come in first of course) :D