User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[UPDATE]
    I am starting to position my racket when recieving a smash higher now about stomach height. I have noticed very little difference from deflecting knee height smashes and with this i was able to but not all bend right down and do an over head return from head smashes.
    I felt really happy that i can at least get a few back.
    Now i just have to put it more into practice.

ALso i sometimes get in a muddle between doing an overhead drive or try a backhand drive down the line.
    They smash at me at/near my backhand side so i use the backhand grip to defend the smash. Whilst playing the rallies thay smash at my head whilst i have a backhand grip and i have a little habit of changing grip and trying the forehand drive.

Is it best to use the backhand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goku999
    [UPDATE]
    I am starting to position my racket when recieving a smash higher now about stomach height. I have noticed very little difference from deflecting knee height smashes and with this i was able to but not all bend right down and do an over head return from head smashes.
    I felt really happy that i can at least get a few back.
    Now i just have to put it more into practice.

ALso i sometimes get in a muddle between doing an overhead drive or try a backhand drive down the line.
    They smash at me at/near my backhand side so i use the backhand grip to defend the smash. Whilst playing the rallies thay smash at my head whilst i have a backhand grip and i have a little habit of changing grip and trying the forehand drive.

Is it best to use the backhand?
    Ultimately, it depends on much time you have to play your shot. From the sounds of it, you're not reading the head shot too well at the moment. There's no right or wrong when you're defending in this situation where you have little time to react. If you're already using a backhand grip, try to deflect the headshot downwards towards the tramline. You'll probably find that it's easier to push this to the mid-court tramline area in terms of depth.

As you encounter this more often, you'll be able to step in and turn the shot more into a drive return with more pace by timing the shot better from the wrist.

Try practising flat drives more often with a partner keeping he shuttle no higher than one foot or thirty centimetres higher than the net. Start by positioning yourselves about 1.5 metres from the service line in half of the court. Using a half open stance with your racquet foot forward practice controlling your flat drives with a manageable degree of pace, such that you can maintain a steady rally. You should practice this on both the forehand and backhand shots. Remember, this is a practice and you shouldn't be trying to "win" the rally. Also try not to put too much weight on the front foot. If it helps, think of the shot as a gentle rocking action with your weight moving forward into the shot and returning back in preparation for the return.

As you get better, begin to increase the pace. As your skill level improves with the pace, both of you should take half a step towards the net.

Taking this to another level, start equidistant from the net - again about 1.5metres behind the service line. Playing the drives, take turns with one person slowly stepping into the net over the course of three or four shots, whilst the other person moves back .... remembering to try and keep the same distance apart. Once you have reached the net, begin to move back and let your partner come into the net changing from a defensive shot to playing the drives. Keep repeating it.

Key point is...try to remain equidistant from each other at all times.

This helps you practise steping into a flat shot and defend in the same sequence. It also allows you to learn what to look for when turning defence into attack and vice versa.

Once again, as this improvesand your technique allows more control and power, you'll gain the confidence to return the headshot with interest and accuracy as it's not too far away from what you are practising.

What you are effectively learning to do is to come onto the shuttle even if it's coming onto you quickly and allowing this reaction shot to become more deliberate and second nature to you.

This is just one of many ways you could be practising.

I'm sure others will have their own opinions.

Hope it's useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

Is it okay to just tilt your head and torso a bit to the side and hit the shuttlecock like a backhand shot? Or there won't be enough time to react? I seem to remember being able to return a smash to the head like that. (Returned it as a clear to the back of my opponent's court!)

Is that a bad thing to do?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,

Is it okay to just tilt your head and torso a bit to the side and hit the shuttlecock like a backhand shot? Or there won't be enough time to react? I seem to remember being able to return a smash to the head like that. (Returned it as a clear to the back of my opponent's court!)

Is that a bad thing to do?
    Roadkill- I know what you mean.... we have the same problem before. What I did was continue that practice of defense coz its quite effective though thinking his next move would be a smash (directly to you or cross court), clear, flick, or fast drop. I always anticipate his move therefore return back to defense mode or in position very quickly. I don't mind what will be his next move but I do mind how am i going to return his 2nd or next shot. Anyways receiving a headsmash using backhand is quite impressive and can intimidate your opponent... don't worry, once you perfect that defense it would be easily for you to counter/receive all the smash with style.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If its a hard smash, and you're in the farther haft of the court the smash is out if it is directed at your head. Next time just dodge it and watch it go out .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lin Dan-Fan
    If its a hard smash, and you're in the farther haft of the court the smash is out if it is directed at your head. Next time just dodge it and watch it go out .
    This i think mainly applies to plastics as i always leave them because they go out but for feathers they somehow always find the back tramline.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3