Li Mao still has a long way to go...

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by ye333, Feb 11, 2006.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

If he wants LCW to get on par with Lin and Hidayat...

Just watched the whole version of Lin vs. Lee in AE 2006.
    Lin Dan was really having fun with Lee. He was able to read
    every one of Lee's shots. Even when Lee was catching up and
    winning, it was just because Lee happened to hit several
    extremely high quality shots. And everyone knows that no
    one could keep doing shots of that quality. Now I understand
    why Lin was confident even when 6:13 in the last. During the
    whole match, seems Lin Dan hadn't ever thought of Lee as
    equal.

This is really a bad thing to Lee. He has to develop something
    that Lin Dan would worry about. Li Mao really has some hard
    work to do. :)

btw, Lee's smash is good, however after that, he rushed to
    the net kind of slow (compare to Lin Dan, or Arbi when in top form).
    Also, quite a few of Lee's net play involved unnecessary deception
    (Like Hafiz), which slow his speed down and Lin Dan usually just
    stand there and wait for Lee's final movement, ignoring all the
    deceptions.

#1 ye333, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
  2. hector

hector Regular Member

let's hope somebody can challenge the two masters. they have been dominating for so long. it is about time new challenger come in.
    lim cw looks quite promising at the moment, hope he doesn't end up like losers like hafiz/roslin hashim, rashid/misbun sidek ,wong ch,

heck . . . i am naming all the malaysian mens singles.

3. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Come on, people, give the guy some credit, he is currently world no. 2! Not many malaysians in the history of badminton get to that ranking or better. He is perfectly capable of beating top players if he puts his mind to it. After watching AE2006 Lee vs LD, I thought Lee's only problem was that he was making mistakes at crucial moments. This is not the first time where he collapses at crucial times and he probably knows he needs to work on that. he is a very hard worker, but unfortunately LD is not someone to trifle with since it is clear LD is also very strong and fast and with a serious killer instinct. More unlucky for the guy, he had to play in the same generation as Taufik Hidayat. But i don't think Taufik will be threatening his world ranking anytime soon...he can do it! Come on Lee, have faith in yourself and you'll get there!

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

WCH was number one in the world! He is a good player! just older now!

5. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I find it very hard to disagree with most that you have said.

With that in mid, Lin Dan was very wise NOT to TRY to exert superiority over Lee Chong Wei because he played conservatively & carefull ........ His win over LCW was still a very well matched fight...
    And I think if Lin Dan did try to Steamroll LCW, the result might have been very different... it's a good thing (for LD) that he knew better.

The Borneon BaddyNut.

6. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    WCH is no loser at all to me, ur probably a bigger one than he'll ever be, he has the right attitude and is the captain in the msian team, he has achieved wat most badminton player will never achieve in their life time, he has won silver in the World championships...

Back to Topic, i guess lee(btw, not lim) is still rather inexperience and when he plays seems to still have the junior looks and style which isnt very useful in world class scene, but Lee is a very determined and hard worker, and i guess thts wat brought him to the world no.2 he so worthly deserves, he still couldnt match taufik and lin dan i admit that but give him a year or 2, perfect his skills, gain more experince and most important keep up the high motivation and determination and he'd be challenging them soon

7. terry

terry Regular Member

Same wat i think here, i think LCW need more time for him to gain more experince. If he keep rolling, i believe he can be on top.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, mental strength and confidence building which comes with experience! :)

9. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

i dun think you saw the mens single finals in the last malaysian open then

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I should think LCW has gotten rid of the 'Kampong Boy' image (can only win on home ground). He has graduated onto the world stage by being World Rank no.2 now. But this status means nothing if he crumbles at the very crucial stage. That's when the mental resolve is still lacking and more exposures, esp against strong players, will hopefully correct this weakness. :)

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Mental Trainer to accompnay Msian Shuttlers

In any case, it was reported in The Star on Feb 11 that "for the first time, the Malaysian badminton team will be accompanied by a mental trainer for the Thomas-Uber Cup Asian Zone qualifying tournament. Previously the focus was only during the finals. Besides the psychologist, the BAM also have nutritionists, sports analysts, masseurs and experts on conditioning to enhance the athletes' prepartaion for manjor events."

And separately reported was that the Malaysian team will shift their training base from Bukit Kiara (Stadium Juara), in which they have spent 3 years, to Bukit Jalil to reduce travelling time and to capitalize on the sports science facilities available at the National Sports Institute (NSI). Previously, the players stayed at Bukit Jalil and travelled to Bukit Kiara for training.

Apparently, this is the third time that the national players will be moving their training base. First, they moved from the Academay in Taman Maluri to Bukit Jalil. Then came the shift to Bukit Kiara. And now they're back to Bukit Jalil.

Now the BAM want to fully incorporate sports science in all aspects of the athletes' preparation to become world-beaters. By being at Bukit Jalil, the athletes will have better access to the sports science facilities. And these include medical and rehabilitaton centres, gymnasium and equipment to measure the player's physical conditons. With this move, the BAM players will be constantly monitored and their physicl fitness regularly reviewed.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    interesting that you have brought up the Lee vs. Lin match during the AE2006. i think it is a good match to illustrate the strength and weaknesses of both players.

Lee IMHO lost by two factors. his offense is weak, and his stamina is poor.

seldom do we see Lee make a killer smash from the rear, except perhaps for a handful. Lin Dan was really having fun pushing the shuttle to the rear and Lee was firstly, slow to move back, and then subsequently not able to put any pressure on Lin.

by the time they reached the 3rd game, Lee was exhausted while leading at 13. and then Lin ran away with the match.

Lin Dan on the other hand, has a pretty penetrating smash. and his stamina is excellent. however, he makes way too much mistakes and also he appears to be playing a bit too relaxed. as a result, he gave away too many points to Lee. he woke up at the end of the 3rd match, but to be frank, the match could've ended up much quicker.

13. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    his offense is weak? i thought he had one of the fastest smashes in the world championships last yr.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Sure, but if you were to measure the speed of his 'forced' smashes against Lin Dan, they would have registered quite low. As mentioned by Kwun, the problem was that Lee was not in a good positon to execute his big smash, maybe he did it in eagerness because of lack of stamina, etc and also because Lin forced him into such a situation. There were a couple of easy kills that Lee didn't even have the desire to perform maybe probably because of mental fatigue. If he had converted these, perhaps he would have prolonged the match to a rubber game.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    exactly. pure measured speed is just one factor. the other factor is whether you are able to execute it against an opponent. and the 3rd factor is how well you opponent can read it. Lee did at one point managed to send out a few really hard smashes, i think it was when he was at 14 in the 3rd game. Lin Dan on the other end of the court read everyone of them and the shuttle never saw the ground on Lin Dan's side.

16. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Not to worry so much about Lcw.Give him a year or two,he will be able to make himself the world champion.He needs to put on some more weight and muscle to pack more stinging smashes.Up till now,he has given Malaysia a decent dignity in world badminton.As for the match Lcw,did not have the extra energy to beat the player who was very determined not to lose.Lin dan showed the world his superiorty in all aspect of the game.

17. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Disagree that stamina is the factor. I think Lin looks even more tired than LCW during the rubber set and there were number of rallies is totally controlled by LCw, and Lin was following along only....
    Saw in some acticles that LCW encountered some leg cramps at the rubber, i think thats the big cause why he lost.....

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

comments from other players

Some cooments form other players from local press :

Xia Xuan Ze after getting a duck - Lee CW is still not on par with the top China players.

Chen Hong after losing AE- Lee CW will be the next Foo Kok Keong.

Only lost to Lee in Ae because of bad line judging etc (to which I wont add)

19. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Did Chen Hong say that LCW will be the next FKK? What did he mean by that?

20. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    I guess FKK was a very solid player but never able to challenge the 3 top players - Zhao, Yang, and Sugiarto.