badminton safety

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by DivingBirdie, Feb 12, 2006.

1. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    today i just played badminton.

my doubles partner who was at the back smashed the shuttle onto my EAR. Hard

it was bruised and started becoming red and hot. lol

so far this is one of the more serious injuries i got from the sport.

on previous occasions. i got whacked by my partner's racket before, knee-ed by my partner while i was squatting. twisted my arm. twisted my legs. hit in the eye by shuttle.

surprisingly this shuttle-onto-ear accident is quite a severe one compared to those listed

what are the injuries u guys ever got from badminton?

2. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

student/ working in sport shop/ stringing
    i use to always get hit on the back from my old partner.

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

same here,
    I'm quite tall. and my partner wasn't..he made a (quite hard) attempt at cross smashing....it hurt

4. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

in mixed i have hit my parnter a few times, it's normally because i have gone for some flashy crosscourt drive or my parntner has got to near the net and forgot to duck down.

5. jerby

jerby Regular Member

shé forgot to duck down?:confused:

so it her fault and she should've known you where gonna go beserk on a low shot and drive it at here hat?:D

joking, joking. happened to me today. i was standing at teh front and my partner got a short lift. I heard a Bang and thought "nice, a smash"
    Only to find the shuttle hovering high in mid court...he cleared, I was so lost and ducked for a smash....weird...

6. event

event Regular Member

I was at the front and turned around shouting out on a wide push. My partner ignored my call and broke his Ti10 on my head. I saw it coming but as you know, there isn't much time to react to something like that.

However, I have caused by far the most damage when I've been on the court: both to myself and to my partner. I've hit some dangerous low cross-court drops that have hit my partners in the back. One of my worst was in high school when I smashed right at a girl's sternum. I think her partner's loose lift came from the left and I tried to direct my smash to the right but didn't see her standing at the net. She was crying and had a big red welt where the shuttle had hit. I felt awful but she returned to the court after a few minutes. I guess she was too inexperienced to duck or protect herself and I was too inexperienced to direct or pull my smashes properly.

As for injuring myself, I often hit my own fingers on flick serves. I don't set up for returning smashes and sometimes hit my legs trying to hit the bird between my legs. I've even hit my knees following through after a smash.

Apparently in Ontario (or at least the part I'm in now), high school badminton players are being required to wear protective eyegear.

7. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

at a tournament yesterday, i saw someone go for the shuttle, miss, and instead hit his partner with his racket, breaking the racket in the process!

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    this always happens when you play certain inexperienced people. they stand close to the net in the middle, so even trying to smash into the open court behind them, often end up hitting very close to their face :rolleyes:

9. Jakob_92

Jakob_92 Regular Member

I smashed my partner on the neck. It was a perfect smash, a big part of his neck is blue:p

10. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    one of my partners during a mens doubles match smashed his racket into my back...it hurt for quite some time but luckily hes not one of those body builder types.;)

during my high school season last year i would predict i got hit in the face atleast once per game...maybe my head is big and the shuttle has no where else to go. :p

11. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    you really own:D

when i just started playing i often whacked my knees or even my d*** while following through after a smash too:eek:

12. lindanfan

lindanfan Regular Member

i can vouch that it hurts when you hit yourself in those places;)

the other day i went to return a smash that was coming towards my right shin, i have no idea how i managed it but i whacked the back of my leg proper hard, i had a whole racket head imprint on my leg for a couple of days:p