From Doubles to single

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by songfuny, Feb 12, 2006.

1. songfuny

songfuny Regular Member

Hi ya every one ! i am 17 years old ! here is some of my experience of form Doubles to Single! I used to play single in my old school but then i left the school and i joinied a local badminton club. Everyone in the club is keen to Doubles rather than Single!
    Then i started to learn how to play doubles! At first i wasn't good but i have improved a lot in doubles. My Smash used to very good . but the people in the club told me not to smash all the time . I guess they don't want me to let them down because i always smash at the back court and then i lose mark. they told me just clear it!
    Ok now i got problem. Today i entried a match which is single match. i was very condfient before I went to the match . i thought i could win ! But not i lost it all ! I playe 4 people and i lost to them! the scored was 2-15, 0-15,3-15 and 7-15 the last one i played quite well! I was just like a fish out of water when i played the single !

Can anyone give me some advice how can i get my Good smash back and how to be a good single player?

Thank you

2. jayes

jayes Regular Member

Badminton specialty selling strings, grips, shuttl
    My advice is if you want to be good at something (be it a smash, playing single or double, whatever), you need to work on it, practice until you get better. If the environment is not conducive to your objectives/goals, find a different environment.

HTH.

Cheers. :)

3. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Stamina, placement, netplay and footwork is better than a smash in singles. You'll rarely see a singles player smash more than 3 times in any rally. Playing games give you alot of experience, but drills and practice would increase your skills ALOT more than just losing in games.

4. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

For a young player, it is an odd advice that your clubmate tell you not to smash in a double game. Maybe you can mix around with smash and clears now to get your consisent back.

5. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

I presume what you are saying is, when your doubles partner pressure you not to smash all the time, you lose your concentration and keep hitting the shuttle out or into the net and therefore lose the point. That's when your partner tells you to hit clears instead, is this correct?

When your partner tells you not to smash all the time, he means your opponents will know what to expect...shot after shot after shot...and they will tire you out.:crying: You need to improve your tactical skills by learning different shots such as drops and attacking clears, and placing those shots at different spots.

If all your shots are clears and smashes, then you have not learned all the fundamentals, and maybe that's why you have lost all your singles matches.

Then lessons, drills, and practise practise practise is what you need to be a better badminton player before you challenge yourself in singles. :)

Cheers!

6. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Agree with "Break-My-String".

Depend on how long you have been playing double.
    If you are already converted to double player style then you might have become a little lazy in covering full court.

In double, you only cover half court and hence there is less to travel to recovering base.
    You get to run less in double and hence your body and mind is not prepare to run/cover the single games.

Basically to be good what you were before, you need to train footwork and play more single games to let the body and mind get use to it again.

If your smash is good, you will not be loosing points.
    I will love my partner to keep smashing if he has good consistent power smash but not so if he is weak.
    Why they ask you to clear is most probably it is either you are not consistent or your smash is weak and predictable(they know where to defence it or even counter it).

As for getting your smash back, start training smashing.

Some people have this problem in thinking that they are good but in fact, they are not.

Also, many junior players who are very good at their age find it difficult to cope and even lose easily when playing against senior player with limited ability(bad strokes and bad movements). It is a different game when playing in senior level.

7. ripsnort

ripsnort New Member

You say you have only recently joined a badminton club. How often did you play before joining? Were the matches against people your age? It sounds like you may have come up against other juniors players who have most probably been playing at club level for a few years and are therefore more experienced than you and may been lucky enough to have had proper coaching, some at County level:rolleyes:

Don't feel down about losing. It was good experience for you. Joining a local badminton club is a good start to improving your game. You will be given some good advice and get to play a variety of people along with playing in league matches hopefully. Most clubs in the UK play in doubles leagues and not singles. Singles is usually played in junior tournaments and also at County level and above.

Badminton is not just about the quality of a smash. There are many more aspects to the game and it sounds like your fellow club members are encouraging you to try a variety of shots rather than discouraging you from smashing at all;)

Good luck!:cool:

8. songfuny

songfuny Regular Member

Omg! you are just spot on! they are all play for my town. I bet they got poper training. the match i played was junior match. So do i have to practies more single if i want to improve my single. now i think i am quite good at doubles ,but now ver good it is better than singles. i used to single good at single. i am quite upset about it! i want to play better in single! But that was my first match ever! i got alot of experence that i can't buy from anywhere which i think is the most vauleable thing i have got from this match! thank you for every one fab advice!!!