what TV to use for watching badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Apr 24, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this must be a strange question to ask, but i will ask it anyway...

for those who watch badminton on TV, be it broadcasted or from recorded tapes, what kind of TV setup do you use? what size TV? a normal CRT? plasma? rear projector? front projector?

in particular, i am interested knowing if anyone has used a projector, and if the larger screen (100+ inches) makes a difference?

i have been using a 27" TV for watching tapes. however, after i move to a new house with a bigger living room, i am thinking of getting a larger one. the first thing to consider is of course, "how would badminton look?" :)

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Hey Kwun, doesn't this belong in the EQUIPMENT forum?

;)

And to think that you're the administrator... tsk tsk tsk.

3. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

At home we have a 36" inch Sony Flatscreen Widescreen thingy....

BIG BIG improvement over our older TV which was of similar size, be sure to get a digital and not analogue and 133mhz for faster refresh rates, Now i can actually see the smashes and where they go rather then see they player hit the smash and all of a sudden the opponent picking it up from nowhere...hehe

Hope that helps, Ill try and get a picture of it or something so you can see what one i am talking about.

shaz

4. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

Try this

http://212.250.57.233/pro_runproduc...v&subCat=Digital+Widescreen+16:9&Ire=&CatID=1

heh good point Mag, rear progection screens are v good also, we were going to get a 60" rear projection TV but the problem with them is that u have to watch it totally straight on or at v slight angles, any further and the picture starts to deteriorate which sux cos when looked at straight on the pic quality is probly better then the digital widescreen ... lol.

Anyway hope that helps

5. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

remember to copy paste that link line by line into ie without any spaces, but im sure u know that alrdy

6. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

sorry that projection one was a 46 or so inch, not a 60, but saw a 60 which is pretty impressive :)

sorry for the continuous posts

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it depend on your viewing distance

8. Don

Don Regular Member

I watch it on a 36" Sony Vega. I can see the bird perfectly fine.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wierd....I'm just thinking of the same thing myself. A badminton friend recommended getting a projector though I don;t know what the quality is like.

Shaz, thanks for the suggestions on the plasma TV and digital.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

unless it is broadcasted in hdtv, watching copied copied version of VHS tapes on a high resolution medium is kind of overkill. At work, i can use one of their three 8'x17' digital projection monitor to watch anything (tv, internet, satellite, dvd, pal, ntsc, secam, etc).

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cooler,

i agree with you, i have been told that high resolution display will make bad quality media even worse.

i am actually interested to know if watching badminton on a big screen will enhance the experience. would you feel more immersed into the game? cooler, how about bring a badminton tape to work, watch it there and tell us if the size matters?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung, i have seen the plasma, they look absolutely excellent. very bright, excellent contrast and very very sharp.

unfortunately, they are also very expensive and beyond my price range. i think they are ideal for the smaller homes in HK. how big will your living room be?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hmm, the width is about 12 feet, length I can;t remember off hand.

If watching precorded tapes is a no-no, how about watching a cable TV transmission? Would that be enhanced? (Cable TV in HK is going digital)

14. Don

Don Regular Member

Digital is always better, but it also depends on your TV. I have pretty much lost the use for tapes. Recording digitally to the computer is much better and I can edit a splice where I see fit. Burning the videos to CD or eventual DVD will be amazing for archiving purposes.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

size do matter, so they say :)
    anyway, the optimum screen size is also dependent on the viewing distance.If u are talking about badminton tournaments, another criteria but less importance is how the tournament was shot by the tv camera, I have seen some with court size ranging from 1/2 to full size of the screen. No, i haven't yet use the work multi media room yet. I got shown how to use the remote control panel just last week.

16. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

heh i still record to tape :), mmm but watch it from digital cable and TV is digital also so it does make a difference, i find that video recording are of good quality though...

Cant wat for DVD-RW or something to come out mainstream so u can record straight to a DVD rather then tape :)

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Hey guys,

i got the projector set up. The screen width is 70".

Watching TV on the screen wasn;t so interesting.

Next step was to put some badminton on screen. Since it was video tape and I only got some miniscule speakers (soo to be upgraded), the 'big sceen badminton experience' wasn't too great.

Now, in order to watch TV transmissions of programmes (inc badminton), the signal has to go through the video recorder and out through a video RCA connector. apparently, I think I can get an improved image by using a S-VHS system and watching the programme via S-video connector.

The ultimate aim is to get these matches digitised properly and on to some form of disc format. :confused:
    something I am still puzzling over as to the practicalities and technicalities.

Unfortunately, just as I am ready to sit down and watch the next badminton transmission, I find the cable TV for my block won't be ready for another 6 months! How am I going to survive without going cold turkey?:mad:

18. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am looking at the same thing as well. the price of the unit has dropped from $800+ earlier in the year to $750 (on ebay). hopefully, by next year, it will go down even more.

i cannot wait to archive all my badminton tapes to DVDs. some of them have degraded significantly!

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Cheung,

it was a pity i didn't get a chance to see your projector in action. i still haven't made a decision on my tv/projector purchase after many months. right now i am trying to put off this big purchase as much as i can, the prices are always coming down. :)