Comparing the Cab 20 to Hi-Qua 20

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by D-man2005, Feb 13, 2006.

1. D-man2005

D-man2005 Regular Member

I am thinking of buying a Hi-Qua 20. I heard that the Hi-Qua 20 is a clone of the original Cab 20. I searched this forum for a review of the Hi-Qua 20 and could not find any threads on the topic.

Has anyone used the Hi-Qua 20? How does is compare to the original Cab 20? The Cab 20 original suits my playing style and I am a die hard fan of oval head racquets. Any info would help before I make a purchase.

Since Cab 20 originals are so hard to come by and are still pricey, I am looking for an alternate racquet.

Thanks in advance,

Don

2. D-man2005

D-man2005 Regular Member

Hi Qua 20

Just bought the Hi Qua 20,:) I am waiting for it to arrive in the next few days. As soon as I test it out I will post a review.

Regards,

Don

3. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Cab 20 originals is still obtainable in the asian countries.

4. D-man2005

D-man2005 Regular Member

Hi Qua 20 Review

Okay guys, here is the review for the Hi Qua 20 compared to the Yonex Cab 20 original.

Racquet type: Hi Qua 20
    Specs: 4UG3 (Website states only come in 3UG3)
    Stiffness: Medium-Stiff
    Frame: Hi-Modulous Graphite
    Shaft: Hi-Modulous Graphite
    Balance: 275-285mm
    Recommed Max Tension: Main 18-20 Cross 20-22
    Strings: Yonex BG65 (Supplied)
    Tension: 20x22lbs, 4 knot method
    Grip: Original Grip removed and replaced with Black Knight replacement grip.
    Price: $54 USD

Visual Inspection and Impression:
    Colour scheme of the racquet makes it looks like a red Yonex Cab 20 original but definitely not a Cab 20. When the Original Grip was removed, I found the quality of the wood in the handle to be cheap pine and lead tape was used to add weight to the handle.:eek: The feel of the racquet is head light and definitely lighter than the Cab 20. The lightness of the racquet could be due to it being 4U even when the Hi Qua website states that it only comes in 3U.

Warm Ups:
    The racquet is definitely more flexible than the Cab 20. Initially it was a little hard to control, since i'm use to head heavy stiff racquets. After adjusting to the racquet conventional baseline to baseline shots were easier. I was able to keep my clears within the court, control my drops and have some decent net shots. Smashes had to be adjusted to compensate for the flexiblity. First few smashes hit the tape.

Game Time:
    It is a good defense racquet, manouverability was good and reaction time is fast due to head light. Power was decent and control was good. Vibration in the handle when a hard smashes is executed, handle definitely doesn't feel solid. This could be due to an biased opinion on the quality of the handle.

Conclusion:
    If you want a Yonex Cab 20, get a Yonex Cab 20. The Hi Qua 20 isn't a clone of the Cab 20, it only looks like one. Since I have issues with the quality of the handle, i'm not sure if I can trust that the frame and shaft are made out of hi-modulous graphite. It did stand up to 4 hours of punishment with no racquet clashes, just a few taps on the floor when digging. No chips or scratchs to report. The racquet is suitable for beginning and intermediate level of play.

Rate this Racquet:
    Feel: 5/10
    Control: 7/10
    Power: 7/10
    Defense: 8/10

An average racquet, will use the racquet to train my left arm.;) :D

Cheers,

Don