Stringing at 10&10 shop at Bras Besah...

Discussion in 'Market Place' started by *MuD*, Feb 13, 2006.

1. *MuD*

*MuD* Regular Member

Guys and Gals....anybody had experienced this incident before in the 10&10 shop at bras besah?? Coz last week i went for a restring for my rackets. I have been there a few times before...but always accompany my friends to string their rackets as i prefer to do mine at Artric for convenience sake. Somehow, its always a stringing job well done by 10&10 as seen from my friends' rackets and also judging from all the recommendations by all of u guys here. Hence last week, as i was going to shop at Bugis, i decided to bring along my rackets to be strung at 10&10.

However, it turned out to be horrendous. :mad: i was asking the rackets to be strung at 24Lbs...but in the end...the strings are moving all the places and some mains are tight, some are not...even the cross strings tensions are pretty uneven...can just use my fingers to move the strings easily anyway. :eek: The stringing is done by an unknown young guy whom i never seen before, not the usual young guy or the fat man dat i used to see when i accompany my friends go. Somemore, as i came back from my walk to and fro Bugis, my 2nd racket was in the midst of being strung. i inspected my first racket which has already been strung and to my astonishment, there are new scratches on the inside and outside of the frame.:eek: I quickly turn my attention to my 2nd racket which was strung almost 3/4 way to completion. I saw the stringer using the flat-headed screwdriver ( or some says "-" sign screwdriver) to pull the string out of the grommets away from the frame....and no wonder there are so many scratches on my rackets frames :mad: and i also realised alot of my grommets on both the rackets are also torn or damaged as a result. *both rackets of mine are in very good condition before being strung by him* and worst is that he also uses a mini version of the "ice-pick" shape tool and this creates a number of knocks on the inside of the frames, causing paint chips on the inside of the frames. :eek: I was totally devastated by then..just wana let him finiz and get the hell out of there and never gonna go there again to string anymore. :mad:

So, i hope none of u guys ever encounter my experience or just be wary whenever u goin down there to string rackets from now on. Thou the damages are purely aesthetics as like paintjobs, but yr heart will feel the pain as yr good condition pricy rackets get abused in this way. :(

2. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    10 & 10

Hi *MuD*,
    U frightened me man.:eek: I just told my friend to string my racket at this place last week. Got my racket back and found ok. It was strung by a girl. I told my friend to string at 25lbs at d place. Well, so far still ok.:p I think the boss was David if I am not mistaken. Just tell him to be careful or money back please.:cool:
    Lee:D

3. *MuD*

*MuD* Regular Member

Hi Notnimdab729, ya...10 n 10 stringing has always been quite ok as i had seen them strung my friends' rackets a few times before...but dat day i went...i did not see the usual young guy...i tink his name is ryan and also the fat man i supposed its david...but its the lady boss and this new young man (the stringer). But, i oredi bring my rackets there liao and from 10n10 good reputation as a stringer, i din bother to hesitate abit. :( and yet... both my rackets suffered all these abuse. dats y i decide to post this thread to ask all forumers here to be wary when u go restringing again at this place. Insist on the usual guys or perhaps the lady boss and dun suffer like me. :eek:

But glad dat yr racket turn out fine. :p

4. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    lady boss is there??i thought she suppose to be in hougang sports hall/ya the young guy string not bad.never encountered a lady stringer though

5. jimmy13654

jimmy13654 Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Hi *MUD*,

Very surprised to hear that you had this very unfortunate incident happens at 10 n 10 shop. I purchased most of the stuff there even though i stayed in AMK.
    Yes, its the fat guy,David that i used to deal with and he is the one who strings all my rackets.So far i'm satisfied with his service (automatic discount after purchase) despite knowing me by look only! i guess its not your day to be there but i'll definitely make sure that only David will do the stringing for me.
    Thx for highlighting this issue !

Jimmy[​IMG]

6. Arief

Arief Regular Member

If i'm not wrong... David told me about him going for holiday during Chinese New Year.. so that might be the reason why the lady boss and the other guy were there... maybe he's just temporary worker to replace David. most of the time I go there is during the weekend, and there will always be usual 3 of them there..

7. *MuD*

*MuD* Regular Member

Hmm...oh maybe dats y i never see david and i heard from the new guy dat ryan only works during weekends.....but the shop shld have showed more responsibility to take care of people's rackets. How can they let a total novice stringer string and create a big mess of the rackets string jobs and damages to the frames paintjobs. :( Dat's y i can say its very disappointing.....lost all confidence in this shop. :mad:

8. surge

surge Regular Member

ppl at 10n10 are mostly badminton players theeselves. you should show them the lousy string job and ask if they will accept as a player....i believe they will restring for you again....its not worth a bad reputation for $16....

try it and let us know...

9. Sintec

Sintec Regular Member

From my experiences there, the young fellow is not a badminton player, he just acted as if he is one to be able to be working there, do you ever know that? He promote rackets without having reasonable explanation that i can accept. He just learned to string. You can't prolly blame him for bad stringing skill. To be precise, just stay in the shop and watch the guy string, he won't anyhow string it, if you watch him do it. That is what I always did there. Demand david to string for me. The quility is there, my string at 24lbs won't even move, its tight, till now it still won't soften.

As for the lady, i guess its david's wife. I'm not sure about her stringing skill.

I think the boss see this thread himself, he will be damn sad.

10. *MuD*

*MuD* Regular Member

Hi Sintec, so u also see this new young guy ar?? Din know he just learned how to string...but guess if he wanna practise his stringing skills, please dun try it out on other pple's rackets man. :( but knowing the shop's good reputation, i din bother to stay there n watch the guy string.

And Hi surge, oh...after seeing the way my rackets was strung, i did not have the confidence to even hit it the next morning in case more damage is done to the frame. (i missed my next morning game) i cut the strings straight dat night and went for restrung at another place the following night.. $$$.

11. Sintec

Sintec Regular Member

Yes i have seen the 2 young guys working there before, infact they came to learn stringing from david. Theres even more part timer working there too, just that we never seen them. Some(1 or 2) are national badminton players, which they don't come often to help david. You can't blame the boss for letting them strung your racket because, they are paid to do so.

12. kg_yew

kg_yew Regular Member

The lady is the wife of the REAL boss, anthony, who plays at hougang sports hall regularly...The "fat" guy, is just his employee although I heard someone said he told them he's the boss....Also overheard him talking to newbie customers that he used to thrash the indonesians while he was in competitive badminton...Well, this is the 1st time I heard someone in S'pore actually beat the indonesians, with wong soon kiat's victory over icuk sugiato being the exception...

13. espido

espido Regular Member

that new guy(ryan) caused 2 big paint chips on my racket. furthermore, i can tell that my racket is not strung by david, david usually use 2 knots stringing pattern. however when i got back my racket, i was surprised to see 4 knots.

also, the tension seems to be uneven, guess i wont be going back there anymore.

14. *MuD*

*MuD* Regular Member

Hi espido....dun tink the new guy is called ryan...its the usual young guy who is called ryan and from some previous threads, says that he is also a member here n plays for the cheers championship last year.

But really sad that yr racket was also damaged severely, and i tot i am the only victim so far. :( Did u see wat causes the paint chips?? i did saw how my 2nd racket was strung as he uses the - sign screwdriver to pull the strings and the ice-pick shaped tool to tug also, constantly knocking these 2 combination of tools against the frames, creating inner paint chips n scratches on the outside. :crying: and wats worst is the tension for mine is 24Lbs...as i can practically push apart the top 2 and also the bottom 2 cross-strings apart with my thumb n index finger. :eek:

i guess i knew why yr racket is 4 knots....coz my 1st racket is 2knots and 2nd racket is 4knots.....as for my 2nd racket as i was there seeing him strung, he strung the cross strings wrongly and only realising it towards the end :mad: ....thus he says he can correct it by using the 2 string method, 4knots method. i dun know much about stringing process...dats y just have to believe him lor. :eek:

15. surge

surge Regular Member

i once strung in a shop in queensway and it was like what you mentioned, loose strings randomly. i immediately cut the strings and go to another shop to restring it. :D

still think you should let them know about it cos no one is perfect, maybe yours is the 1 out of 1000 thatthey string badly.....then is actually not bad for them but just 'sway' for you.:(

16. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    oh really...ya i aalready know who is the boss.just curious who the lady is.ive seen him many times while im training in hg sportshall.hes not a bad player you know.he is tall tall white white wan...david is just an employee he tried bluff his way through to me that he was boss but i didnt want to pai seh him so i play along also:eek:

17. espido

espido Regular Member

ok, guess i mixed up the person. thanks for the correction.

18. espido

espido Regular Member

i left my racket there over the weekend and collected it on a wed. thus,i do not know what caused the paint chips.

19. Sintec

Sintec Regular Member

No, david strung my racket with 4 knots.

Wahahhaha, I totally agree with you. He always talk big words to customers.

#19 Sintec, Feb 15, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  20. Arief

Arief Regular Member

David is not the boss... as mentioned, the boss is Anthony, and the lady boss there is Anthony's wife, NOT David's wife... from what i know, David's wife have a beauty salon in orchard...

there are usually 2 young guys there during the weekend, one is a thai (ryan) and one is indonesian. both are players... but i really have no idea who is the young guy who string the racket so badly.

for the knots, it depends on your preference, you can request 4 knots or 2 knots..

well, that's what all i know about the shop...

#20 Arief, Feb 16, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2006