Seeking Advanced Level Coaching

Discussion in 'Singapore Coaching' started by Oldhand, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    For the past one month, I've been trying to find a good coach (in any part of the world) for a 16-year-old Indian boy who shows great promise. I've failed to find even a single lead. :confused:

The boy is already a very good player. His footwork is excellent, his recovery is good, his accuracy is good, his stamina is good, his smashes are piercing and his drops are spot-on but he still has a long way to go - and, with a bit of professional coaching, he should be able to make it to international tournament standard. :cool:

The ideal coach for this boy would be someone who has played at the international championship level, someone who would correct the boy's mistakes, teach him new workout and game techniques and also instill aggression and confidence in him.

The boy's annual holidays are beginning in March - and his parents are looking to send him abroad for a one-to-two-month-long advanced coaching session. Of course, he can also periodically return for additional sessions every few months.

I had promised his father that I'd get my friends in badmintoncentral to help out.

Please help :eek:.

PS: I'd posted a shorter version of this message earlier - but in the wrong forum. My apologies for any inconvenience I may have caused anyone. :)

2. alansd

alansd Regular Member

I may be wrong but as far as I am aware there is an advanced training centre in India which is run by gopi chand. I dont know if you have looked into this or not but maybe it could be your first port of call. This is a link to an article about it. I have no idea how close it is to you but I hope it helps a little.

http://www.hindu.com/2005/04/22/stories/2005042207952200.htm

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Not Really

I'm quite aware of this coaching centre but (as is endorsed by the newspaper article itself) they can't even pay their coaches now. I shudder to think what that means for the quality of the coaches now helping teach the youngsters there.

India produced a Padukone in the 70s (he peaked in the 80s) and then, 25 years later, produced a Gopichand. 25 years for one hopeful in a billion people!! Compare this with China or tiny Korea!

I wouldn't want this youngster to wait another 25 years or to end up a sorry prospect like the hundreds of Indian players that never got an opportunity to be trained further.

I'm seeking 'advanced' coaching. Not an occasional tip from a Gopichand in a well-meaning but poorly-planned academy that has struggling coaches.

Thanx mate for the pointer but I will have to skip this one. :eek:

4. alansd

alansd Regular Member

No problem, I know Tom John was mentioned in the article and he's excellent so assumed the coaching standard would still be of that quality. I am sure you ahve already considered this but have you tried the national associations of various top flight countries.Although most of the squads are national squads so someone from another country may have trouble getting a place. In europe Denmark may be you best bet, I have a friend who trained in maylasia for a few weeks so can ask him if I remember, also as far as I know its cheap (maybe not the case in europe, not that I know if thats an issue) Probably best to ask some of our members in the far east as they obviously have a higher standard than us europeans. Good luck though, this is the sort of oppertunity that we all wish we had as teenagers.
    Alan

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

None Out There?

Hi all,

I'm amazed and depressed by the lack of response from others. Is it that no one knows a professional badminton coaching academy or is it that such a facility doesn't exist anywhere outside India... or is it just that no one can be bothered to help another? :eek:

In contrast, a friend in this forum has sent me a couple of leads - these include the Orange County Badminton Club in Anaheim, USA; the International Badminton Academy in Copenhagen, Denmark; and BBE Sports in Beijing, China.

The first has an email address that is dead, the second has chosen not to respond to a query and the third has set me off on a hunt for a translator. :confused: Whew!

Please respond if you're in Malaysia or Indonesia or Denmark.
    It doesn't cost us anything to help this youngster do better.

Come on guys. :)

6. pangcus83

pangcus83 New Member

hi oldhand

hiz mr oldhand,

My name Pangcus,23 tis yr,im very passionate abt badminton n im coaching part time due to my national service commitment.
    Im very happy n touched tat at least someone out there like you is showing concern abt the future of your boy n also india national pride.
    As far as i know,right now in singapore theres no training academy,we have training centre here in sgp but this centre operates in a very commercialize system n becoz due to the school commitment of the players in singapore,studying alone takes up alot of time in singapore even during their holidays.
    But from what i know, i know msia have a training academy which is headed by misbun sidek,i dunnoe whether u heard of him anot but he won all england title when hes playing for the msia national team.I will try my best to get the contact for you n let you know asap.
    Nice to know u.Take care n keep in touch

7. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Very Nice Of You

Hi Pangcus,

It's incredibly nice of you to offer to help.
    Of course, I do know the Sidek brothers (who doesn't?).
    If you'll get me the contact information, I'll pursue it from my end.

I have played a lot of badminton in Sinagpore... at the Whampoa CC, at two places in Jurong, at Kallang and at Spottiswoode Park. The level of play at Spottiswoode was quite high... and I did enjoy myself.

Someone mentioned that Zhao Jinhua is a coach somewhere iin Singapore. Is this true?

Thanks again.

8. ToddieO

ToddieO Regular Member

Lighting, grip work, stagehand, bartender, student
    Help with training

Hello Oldhand, I gave you some information that may have not been correct? Orange county BC is at WWW.Ocbadmintonclub.com. You may want to contact through badmintoncentral members; extremenanopowe or fishnetwen*yi they both seem to know coaches in Malaysia. I know the danish site works, I checked into going there! I hope these others can help you and the future star! good luck. Todd

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Oldhand

Glad to note you've played at so many places in Singapore. You must have stayed here for quite a while.

Regarding Zhao Jianhua, he left Singapore for China sometime ago as his wife prefers to be near her mother with their young boy. Understand that Zhao is helping his brother-in-law in his coaching academy.

Misbun Sidek's badminton club is known as "Nusa Mahsuri" and you can find out more about the club from their website, which I searched from Google:

http://bulutangkis.web.infoseek.co.jp/nusa/

A very influential member of this forum is ants, who may be able to asist you more if you could PM him.

All the best from Singapore! :D

10. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Moderate Success

Just wanted all you guys to know that I finally found a place for this boy... he is now training in Malaysia at Misbun Sidek's place. I had also tried other academies in Anaheim, Los Angeles and in Denmark but I found them to be too expensive.

Incidentally, we're planning to set up an international coaching facility here in India... perhaps we'll offer training and game-coaching at rates as low as $5 an hour (compare this with $40 to $60 an hour elsewhere)!

I will let you know how this is going.
    Thanks again to those who helped find a place for this boy.

11. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Hi Oldhand,

Glad to hear that the boy has found a place to train. It's a good start. I hope he can be the next Padukone or better.

In case he decided to pursue a career out of Badminton and managed to represent India in the future tournament, please post us the name of the boy so that we can see a champion in the making.

All the best.

12. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Thanks

Sure. Will keep you posted.
    Thanks for the good wishes too.

13. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

I am from India. I still dont understand where you want that kid to be coached exactly... If he is financially sound and has not problems with visa there are hundreds of coaching academies which can be obtained with just a search (just try google) of badminton clubs all over the world. If you believed that Indias Gopi chand had problems then you are wrong its just too much competition and once the young kids and students get to ages 20 and above most of them have to leave the arena just because badminton wont pay their food and cloth (most cant even afford the costly yonex shuttles) or they have extra pressure to study and pursue a career in academia, engineering and so on. as simple as that. If your kid can afford to continue to work on badminton forever then I would see no problem with Gopi Chand or just any other local club in India, Only the top seeded players who play international tournaments are hired by top companies mostly for publicity and so on. If you have the talent.... people and die hard coaches here would die to coach you..... so next time plesae do a lil bit of inside research before you conclude hard on anything.

#13 chikkubhai, Sep 2, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

A million thanks to Pangcus and Loh.
    That website tip (and your good wishes) was what did the trick.

Chikkubhai could very well re-read my post of June 17.
    I believe everyone else has found it illuminating enough.

15. Antiiies

Antiiies Regular Member

student / badminton player
    any news about the boy?

16. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

As far as I know, he's progressing well.
    He has taken a short break to meet academic requirements.
    I hope we will finally see something of his talent this year :rolleyes:

17. Superstar

Superstar Regular Member

Since he is so good as you have mentioned, why don't you try to send him to SBA. Saw your location in Singapore.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I don't think it is as simple as that. :)

That talented Indian teenager may aspire to play for India one day since I assume he is an Indian citizen. Then, I would think he should apply to join the India Badminton national squad instead, that is if he feels confident enough to be accepted!

Of course Indian Badminton seems to be still in disarray with competing forces. ;) That may be a cause of concern for him and his parents who support him all the way.

19. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

Did he participate in any tournaments? :)
    Also, it's been exactly 2 years since this thread was created! xD

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Yes, he did... and the results were indeed good.

I don't have the family's permission yet to give out his name.
    However, this should change when he moves into the pro league :)