need help with the backhand smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by weirdperson, Feb 14, 2006.

1. weirdperson

weirdperson Regular Member

hi, i thought you people might like to give me some tips on the backhand smash.
    i don't do it alot, and when i actually have opportunities, i often hit the shuttle into the net:crying: , but once in a while i get it over, and when i do, very few people i played with can block it.:cool:
    i conclued that i have good power but bad angle.
    can u guys help me?:confused:

2. huynd

huynd Regular Member

I suppose you are not mistaking a backhand net kill with a backhand smash. If so, try overhead smash, it is much more powerfull. Backhand smash is used ocassionally, just to surprise your opponent.

3. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

There are quite a number of posts already on backhand smashing. Please learn to use the Search feature. ;)

Cheers!

4. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

is backhand smash even an important shot? Most people only do that shot when for some reason they can't hit a round the head... i don't think anyone really sets up for a backhand smash ... Poul Erik Larsen is probly the only player i've ever seen who did.

i guess if you have a badass one like keneth jonnassen you might get a few points out of it but most of the time they'll probly get it back anyhow since its always going to be weaker than a real smash

I think the only real advantage in being able to do that is wacking it really hard when you first make them expect a drop or weak return ... i dont really mean deception .. i just mean after they see you backhand drop a few times they'll expect it again and then you hit a hard one, that might have some effect.

5. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

easiest way is to do an around the head, its more powerful as well

6. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

better to to an around the head forehand shot. generates more power than any backhand smash plus you will see where your opponent is. doing a backhand shot forces you to turn your back.;)

7. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Actually a backhand smash is not as hard as everyone have expected.i could onli use my backhand to drop last time till i started training my wrist with a squash racket. My backhand smash is very sharp but onli medium power.i onli use it when the shuttle is too low to do an overhead stroke or when i m caught out of position.

i agree with the ppl here tat u should use the overhead stroke more to cover ur backhand weakness since u said it goes to the net sometimes den ur opponent will start forcing u to do the backhand.but however its useful when the shuttle is too low for a overhead stroke or caught out of position coz since when u do a backhand ur back will be facing ur opponent.

8. system32drivers

system32drivers Regular Member

9. weirdperson

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    aim higher :rolleyes:

11. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    The way i did a backhand smash a few years ago was to start with the basic backhand drop technique.
    You should be able to clear from back tramline to tramline to get the full effectiveness of the backhand smash.
    Then start by backhand drops, and gradually hit it harder and flatter and eventually you will be hitting flat drives and then aim to hit the shuttle at a higher point.

But i do not recommend it when playing actual games. It may make you look good but you will lose many points as everyone knows the forehand is the strongest, you might as well attempt an around the head smash.

12. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    same here. most of the time. u can't even "kill" your opponent with a single forehand overhead smash!
    as of doing a better backhand smash. the most important thing will be a correct gripping of a racket as well as the timing.
    i can do some pretty powerful backhand smashs during games ;) . u know, just for showing off! "u see? i can do that! can u?" :D :D :D

13. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    Can anyone here do a jumping backhand smash?:p haha

It freaks people out:eek:

14. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    Its doable but you may have a damn long recovery time

15. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

it's done very rarely when I have no other choice, recovery is not much longer than a normal backhand smash.

I can only perform this if opponent lifts from the net (back hand) cross court to my backhand. It is not a powerful smash. just very steep if it is to be effective.

16. weirdperson

hmmm.....
    anyways thanks 4 the replies, i helped me.

17. system32drivers

system32drivers Regular Member

if you have an email address, i can email this to you. the video is around 50.6 MB. so have an email address that can handle this usually gmail, will be able to cater this. if you donot have gmail. sent me your alternative email, and i will invite you so that you can register using gmail. if you have manged to get a copy of this. forget this thread.

18. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    yesterday, i had an argument with my partner cause he used too many backhand smash. So, i don't think it is a good thing to learn especailly in doubles.:p

19. weirdperson

lol
    anyways, i wasn't really usign b smash all that much. just when i really need to do it, i sometimes make mistakes. so you guys can stop sayign things like "dont use b smash, use forhand instead" or "b smash is weak". i just want to see some improvements on my b smash.

20. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

I beleive knowing how to backhand smash is important even if it is hardly used. The more shots you know and can perform well is an advantage. If you are hitting into the net alot than it is probably due to the shuttle being struck too far infront of you but in the case that you have your back turned(the shuttle is too far behind you) if that makes sense.hehe. Try to get more.....underneath it. Also try and experiment with slightly different grip to what you normaly use to do that shot.

I do disagree with some that this shot ' is not essential to know'...my oppinion.
    It is essential to know all possible shots you may have to play in a game!
    Even if it is hardly used.

The more weapons you have the better off you are. If I know an opponent who cannot backhand smash to save his life..........that is one shot I don't have to atticipate when I force him to do a back hand........He has one less option available to him.....and i know it!

My suggestion: Ask......... 'Gollum' I am pretty sure he is a Coach and can help you and prob show you links to footage or diagrams.:)