Help on how to choose the right badminton shoes?!

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by NCH2006, Feb 14, 2006.

1. NCH2006

NCH2006 New Member

Hi,

I'm a new member to this forum. I've started palying badminton last summer and stopped in October due to holiday seasons and hurt my toe nails.

Both of my big toes hurt and the toe nails (top shell) came off. Can anyone help me what was I doing wrong? I was wearing my New Balance Tennis Shoes Ankle top. Please give me adivse what should I be looking for when buying a new badminton shoes so my toe nails wouldn't come off and my toes won't be bruised and hurt after playing a few games. :confused: Thank you!!!

2. sunofabeach

sunofabeach Regular Member

sounds like they were too small for you. your shoes should fit nice and comfy but have a little room in the toes. oh, and don't forget to keep your toenails trimmed :D

3. lex1437

lex1437 Regular Member

tennis shoes are hard sole and dont bend well .
    i should try something softer , asics has good but expensive shoes.
    alternatively , u can try jogging shoes with good cushion inside, but get those that is not really heel high , get flatter shoes to reduce risking ankle injuries.
    thats what i think , cos i've tried a few badminton shoes , and they dont perform as well as other shoes.. hmm , just what i think.
    i tried yonex shb 89 , and i dont like it , hard from the inside , compared to my fila max point 2 .
    im looking at nike airmax 360 as my next target.

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I don't think jogging shoes could be as good as badminton shoes (from reputable brands). One key feature for badminton shoes is the grip, which most jogging shoes lack of. A cheaper alternate solution could be cross-training shoes, which provide a bit more grip than most jogging ones, and designed for in-door (court) usage.

Besides the shoe factor, correct technique (i.e. footwork) can also reduce the chance of "black toe nail", as well as other injuries. ;)

5. NCH2006

NCH2006 New Member

shoes

Thanks very much for your advice!:)

6. ToddieO

ToddieO Regular Member

Lighting, grip work, stagehand, bartender, student
    badminton shoes

Nch26,

I just purchased a pair of New Balance running shoes, the sales man measured my foot and gave me a pair of shoes 1/2 size larger than my normal shoes? I tried them on and said they feel a bit large?? I have had the same size foot for over 20 years, he said this is the way New Balance shoes should fit! If your toe nails fell off then maybe your foot was moving in the shoe?? Also one thing to consider is toe care, cutting and trimming your toe nails. Sports can put tremendous amountof pressure on the feet and toes, keeping the nails short will help them stay healthy. Working on foot work drills, shadow drills will help your movement on the court. A lighter foot work may relieve stress also. Good luck and keep those toes in good health. :cool: