User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backhand clear is not as difficult as some of you might think. From my experiences, there are some keys elements:

- Correct grip. Thumb should be placed on the bevel of the handle, not on the flat part. This facilitates supination.

- Loose your whole arm. Keep your arm close the the body before the swing. During the swing, your shoulder should stand still. Many people try to move the shoulder too early, that reduces the swing speed considerably.

The most difficult element of this strock is correct timing. So, on a bad day, i can only make it to half opponent's court :-D. But when on form, i can make it to the base line, even though the shuttle got behind me prior to the stroke. I am just 166 cm tall and my physical strength of below average. So I think every one can do it, just relax and focus on the timing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by __Lam
    but sometimes around the head doesnt have enough reach, so learn both, or just get crazy footwork so you can always hit a forehand
    hahah so true. if we all had amazing footword we wouldnt need these short cuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007
    Forget about backhand clear.
    Try to have the habit of fast footwork and using round the head clear.
    Much more effective.

Backhand clear tend to makes one lazy and always using backhand when a shot is place there whether it is fast or slow.

As for learning it, it is best to get a proper coach for technique.
    Round the head clear is is more effective but in singles it is very difficuilt to win without proper back hand. I too am weak in back hand clears. I was very poor in back hand but my regular practice on backhand clears has helped me to improve much.As W22C has said if he is willing to learn something new let him pracice back hand clears and learn it well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joonu
    Round the head clear is is more effective but in singles it is very difficuilt to win without proper back hand. I too am weak in back hand clears. I was very poor in back hand but my regular practice on backhand clears has helped me to improve much.As W22C has said if he is willing to learn something new let him pracice back hand clears and learn it well.
    It is fine to learn backhand if does not become a habit of taking backhand everytime the shuttle go backhand.
    Many people have this problem of doing so when they learn backhand even though the shot is high enough for a normal forehand shot.

Backhand is only for emergency when you got flick from the front.
    I only use it when I got flick and really have no time to use round the head but that is not often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi Jono Frog,

>> then simpley exten your arm up to reach for shuttle above your head - >> not
    >> to the side - uncock wrist and hit like a rebound action. your arm should >> not follow thru past your shoulder as this will cause injury and lose you
    >> power.

at what angle is the best optimal hit of the shuttle. can we consider that if the shuttle arrives at 11 o'clock thru 10 o'clock position - uncock wrist... Would this have the effect of like a forehand smash, with a pinging sound???!!

and if the shuttle is at a 9 o'clock position what play is suitable to return shuttle cock - high distance lobby to the back-court or sharp cross-court drop near the net???

i am currently training my backhand, i have a tennis backhand swing and trying to remove or rather improve on this to have that same pinging sound when i smash using my forehand...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hyun007
    It is fine to learn backhand if does not become a habit of taking backhand everytime the shuttle go backhand.
    Many people have this problem of doing so when they learn backhand even though the shot is high enough for a normal forehand shot.

Backhand is only for emergency when you got flick from the front.
    I only use it when I got flick and really have no time to use round the head but that is not often.
    Very good and wise mode of play.Shimotakimas may bear in mind this after learning well back hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i did a search for this and came up with a previous forum discussion on this. they actually gave a link to a site, that discussed how to tackle the backhand. (forenote: its in chinese or mandarin i think, anyway, action speaks louder than words.) i just download the file today so i think the link will not be broken.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f8ptfc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2