backhand weakness

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Shimotakimas, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Shimotakimas

Shimotakimas Regular Member

Hi. Im wondering if itll be a good idea or not to learn how to do a normal clear with my left hand (im right handed) so i dont have to do backhand clears anymore. i know it sounds close to impossible and maybe even foolish but wouldnt it be cool to see that in a game? my backhand clears tend to setup a perfect smash for the opponent. thanks for your ideas

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    If you're willing to learn something new, why not learn how to do backhand clears? You might fumble the racket when you switch over, versus just rotating the racket handle in a backhand clear.

-dave

3. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

yea...i say learn the backhand clear too...my backahnd clears used to land near the net but now its somewhere abit farther back of midcourt...not perfect but it's getting there :D

4. song.exe

song.exe Regular Member

Though it would be very intresting to see that in a match, I agree with the other two :p

Go learn your backhand clears :D

5. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    i also agree. its probably faster to learn the backhand clear than to learn a clear with your non-dominant hand clear anyway:D.

6. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    you want to be an ambidextrous player?:) ive had an opponent before who uses both hands, made him run all over the court sending it to his forehand then backhand then forehand...till he tires up and makes an unforced error. if your competing against an opponent with lower skill level than yours its nice watching somebody switching racket hands, but against the same level or higher level player it wont do you any good. better to learn backhand clears, practice hitting it properly and youll see it'll get stronger and stronger and eventually youll be able to make backhand clears from end to end and maybe you can practice your backhand smash.

7. Caloy

Caloy Regular Member

Hi glencomienda111 - i also know someone who plays like that. Maybe we are referring to the same person. The one i knew is 5'4", small frame and thin.

sorry out of topic but can't help to ask...:)

8. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    bro call me glen:) haba if you include my surname:D nope, he's kinda smaller and has a bigger frame.

9. Jono Frog

Jono Frog Regular Member

dairy warehouse distribution
    backhand clears

overhere in england i had an opponent once who switched to his left hand when i put a shot high and deep to his backhand . he smashed it back pretty hard and it took me a minute to figure out what had just happened.

as for backhand clears i invested in some proper coaching which helps because you know exactly what your doing wrong and you can concentrate on getting it right. allways use the correct technique - even if it doesnt work for a while - eventually you will see improvements. common shortcuts (bad techniques) are wrong grip, swinging the arm or not using enough wrist, back not fully turned to net, tensing up and not relaxing. the way in my view to do the backhand clear is:

make sure you have:

correct grip - altered thumb grip is best

loose relaxed grip and arm

follow shuttles flight with racket and pivot your body round in time to shuttles flight

as shuttle approaches, your back should be parallel to the net with right leg lunging to backhand corner slightly.

prior to hitting shuttle your racket arm is raised like your over exagerating checking time on your watch - elbow raised in the air, wrist cocked

then simpley exten your arm up to reach for shuttle above your head - not to the side - uncock wrist and hit like a rebound action. your arm should not follow thru past your shoulder as this will cause injury and lose you power.

also dont turn back out until the shot is complete.

if hit correctly you will hear the snap of the shuttle. distance comes with practice as your wrist gains strength, as long as you hit it correctly for now that is what you should be concentrating on.

dont try and put too much effort in to it, i describe it as a lazy shot - the power comes from the wrist so no need to put lots of effort in to swinging the arm - its the uncocking of the wrist that gives you power. your arm is simply extending your wrist to where shuttle is.

hope this helps

10. Caloy

Caloy Regular Member

I see, it's amazing to know that there are other ambidextrous badminton players like my friend. He's a fun to watch.

11. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

how to do it? keep trying to hit backhand clears with your left arm. i recommend you just practice getting a decent backhand, what happans if you accidently drop your racquet in hte middle of a game while switching hands? youd look kinda dumb:)

12. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    i once played an opponent who switched racket hands when i hit it to his backhand. his footwork wasnt good enough so he would always hit the bird late and pop it up.

i suggest learning the "around the head" motion in order to clear. learning backhand clear would be good also but i get penalized by my coach for using it. :D

13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

but sometimes around the head doesnt have enough reach, so learn both, or just get crazy footwork so you can always hit a forehand :D

14. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

yup. if you switch racket hand from right to left or vice versa, you'll have to switch your footwork also. footwork for right handed players is the exact opposite of left handed players. i think it would be very awkward and difficult to do unless you are a very gifted athlete. :p

15. hyun007

hyun007 Regular Member

Forget about backhand clear.
    Try to have the habit of fast footwork and using round the head clear.
    Much more effective.

Backhand clear tend to makes one lazy and always using backhand when a shot is place there whether it is fast or slow.

As for learning it, it is best to get a proper coach for technique.

16. germanOne

germanOne Regular Member

run faster, play forehand, thats it

17. Jono Frog

Jono Frog Regular Member

dairy warehouse distribution
    if you plsy st a high level around the head is sometimes impossible if your opponent catches you out so you need both shots really

18. huynd

huynd Regular Member

Backhand clear is not as difficult as some of you might think. From my experiences, there are some keys elements:

- Correct grip. Thumb should be placed on the bevel of the handle, not on the flat part. This facilitates supination.

- Loose your whole arm. Keep your arm close the the body before the swing. During the swing, your shoulder should stand still. Many people try to move the shoulder too early, that reduces the swing speed considerably.

The most difficult element of this strock is correct timing. So, on a bad day, i can only make it to half opponent's court :-D. But when on form, i can make it to the base line, even though the shuttle got behind me prior to the stroke. I am just 166 cm tall and my physical strength of below average. So I think every one can do it, just relax and focus on the timing.

19. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    hahah so true. if we all had amazing footword we wouldnt need these short cuts. :D

20. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Round the head clear is is more effective but in singles it is very difficuilt to win without proper back hand. I too am weak in back hand clears. I was very poor in back hand but my regular practice on backhand clears has helped me to improve much.As W22C has said if he is willing to learn something new let him pracice back hand clears and learn it well.