The smash

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Lee, Jun 7, 2000.

1. Lee

Lee Guest

<html>I am a beginner badminton player and I would like to know am I suppose to use the shoulder, forearm, wrist, or any other combination for a good smash
    </html>

2. help maybe

<html>I read somewhere that lifting your left hand(if you're a right hander) or your right hand(if you're a left hander) up when you want to smash helps to counterbalance your body and gives you a good position to smash. Try it!
    </html>

3. Re: help maybe

<html>Lifting the opposing arm provides more torque. There are a variety of smashes - backhand smashes, forehand smashes and the like. Each requires its own combination of muscles and movements. The backhand smash, for example, is largely a matter of snapping one's wrist, with the elbow following through. The forehand smahs is an overhead stroke, so obviously you are going to use your shoulder and arm. Basically the motions are the same as when you do an overhead lob, except that you do not hit the shuttle up, but angle your racket face downwards when you strike the shuttle and snap your wrist down as part of the follow through.<p>Try watching better players do the stroke and analyse their motions.<p>
    </html>