User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation 50th Freeman in San Diego

    I would like to bring to everyone's attention, especially those close to San Diego, the upcoming Dave Freeman tournament. This will be the 50th edition of the event and will be held 3rd, 4th and 5th of March. There are 3 flights -A, B and C as well as Senior categories. A participants will have a chance at the $2000 prize money.
    We are still taking entries. Please go to www.sandiegobadminton.org for all information as well as to submit entries online.
    We hope to have a large turnout to make the tournament a resounding success. Please spread the word.
    Thanks,
    Murali

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    OC,CA,USA
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murali
    I would like to bring to everyone's attention, especially those close to San Diego, the upcoming Dave Freeman tournament. This will be the 50th edition of the event and will be held 3rd, 4th and 5th of March. There are 3 flights -A, B and C as well as Senior categories. A participants will have a chance at the $2000 prize money.
    We are still taking entries. Please go to www.sandiegobadminton.org for all information as well as to submit entries online.
    We hope to have a large turnout to make the tournament a resounding success. Please spread the word.
    Thanks,
    Murali
    Murali,

    Why is it that the Entry Fee are so high compared to other tournaments ? That might be why the turn out is small .....

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation Is it Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by harimau
    Murali,

    Why is it that the Entry Fee are so high compared to other tournaments ? That might be why the turn out is small .....
    I am not sure I can agree, considering this is a USAB sanctioned Classic event. I have played in the Sr Nationals at Manhattan Beach as well as 2 or 3 tournaments at OCBC in the past year. Paid $25 each event at all these. Further, at the last Freeman in 2002, we charged $20 first event and $18 for subsequent events, so the increase is marginal.
    Wish we could charge much less but the renting the gym has become very expensive since the City of San Diego doubled their fee due to their severe financial difficulties. Add to this the T-shirts and birdies we provide. Wish we could also not insist on the USAB membership but it would be not be possible to have such an event with prize money to attract top players without the sanction.
    However compared to some other events, such as the ones at SGVBC and Bay Area open, I grant that it is on the high side.
    Keep those questions and entries coming!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    OC,CA,USA
    Posts
    393
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    With that kind of entry fees, you may have discouraged lots of people who usually play tournament for fun. One of the reasons why tournament like Bruins Opens were successful is because the entry fee is nominal so as the Bay Area Open too. They draw lots of high school players who are not in the workforce. So money is always an issue. In the past USBDF events, to encourage participations from high school players to join, those who are first timers and high school top players from each school are offered full sponsorship (Free entry and also receive free T-shirt).

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    16
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by harimau
    With that kind of entry fees, you may have discouraged lots of people who usually play tournament for fun. One of the reasons why tournament like Bruins Opens were successful is because the entry fee is nominal so as the Bay Area Open too. They draw lots of high school players who are not in the workforce. So money is always an issue. In the past USBDF events, to encourage participations from high school players to join, those who are first timers and high school top players from each school are offered full sponsorship (Free entry and also receive free T-shirt).
    Yes I agree the fee is high if you are a high schooler. Even working adults let alone college students in our club are complaining about it (with whom I disagree, however). Unfortunately SDBC does not have its own gym, so the rent really discourages us from giving anyone free entry. But we certainly should consider at least lowering the fee dramatically for high school kids to encourage them to enter. I will pass this along to the tournament committee and the SDBC board for consideration the next time. Thanks for your input.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    : 02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
  2. 50th post thank you gift: Badminton Strategy, Hitting Straight or Cross-Court?
    By RacketlonCanada in forum Techniques / Training
    Replies: 9
    : 07-07-2009, 01:22 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    : 01-06-2009, 12:32 PM
  4. Happy 50th Birthday Malaysia!
    By ants in forum Chit-Chat
    Replies: 10
    : 09-03-2007, 04:19 AM
  5. Dave Freeman 3/3/06-3/5/06
    By Vtec101 in forum USA West
    Replies: 0
    : 01-05-2006, 08:09 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •