various tips needed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rajp25, Feb 19, 2006.

1. rajp25

rajp25 Regular Member

student
    i play singles and doubles, but i'm not sure of my level. my first question is how similar is singles play to doubles play? i have not gotten much match experience, but i feel at a loss right now during doubles play. i think my style of play is more suited to singles, but i was told by my dad that doubles is nearly the same game and simpler. what do u think?

my second question is concerning when one is to serve in singles. let's say i serve and the opponent returns with a drop shot. i find myself in the situation where i can not follow the rule of moving the hand up the grip when you're near the net. do i compromise control in my responding shot by not changing my grip?

in singles and doubles, what should the usage percentage of the clear be? in singles particularly, i've tried using clears exclusively, meaning few attack clears and mostly defensive. i should also add that my clears are not effective as i would like them to be.

that's all the questions for now, i'll post again if i think of anything else i could receive help in.

- thanks

#1 rajp25, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  2. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    They're two different games, with two different tactics and strategies.
    The skill of each of the players are only 1/4-1/2 the game. The other is the synergy/communication between two players. Where to stand, what kind of shots should I make, where is my zone and where is yours, would this shot allow your partner to react, etc.

In Singles match, it is not a rule! I don't change grip location.

If you have time, go for it, but you should note that changing grip location may result in you losing the proper grip point.

There's no clear cut answer to that.
    In doubles, the key aim is to always be on the attack, meaning reduced clears, more drive shot, net play and smashes. However, that's not to say that it's not allowed. You would do it if communications between two players break down (it can happen).

In Singles, using clears can help you regain your position, and change the pace. Move your opponents around, tire him/her out more than you. You should also use drop shots as a result. Exclusive use of clears make you a predictable player, and easy to beat. Some players can also smash really hard from the baseline.

3. rajp25

rajp25 Regular Member

student
    thank u for the tips. i had a vocab mistake by saying exclusively. i meant to say that i was going to use clears rarely as a last resort other than the occasional clear to mix thing up.

4. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    A couple of my singles games (social) was with a girl who plays similar to this.

The match becomes one sided, because I can easily predict the shots, at the same time, her use of defensive clear was actually advantageous to me, as it is forced, so I could, again, read the shots, and have enough time to go into position, and again, play chess in my head, or smash the shuttle really hard down the line. It also allows me to start changing pace to suit myself.

Later in the match, she changed strategy, performing more clears, less drops. This was a more effective strategy for her then, as I'm already accustomed to dropshots, etc. I lost :) (for the record, a close match with her = a win for me, because she's quite a bit better than me ;) )

This is a good example of a mix-up.

In singles, clear is not a big taboo. Always consider your opponent's position :). I have made the mistake of playing a lot of net plays (in order to improve), but the better shot choice was a clear, which I ignored.

5. rajp25

rajp25 Regular Member

student
    concerning fitness training....

some background: i've been curling 20 lb weights 6 sets of 30 reps, which i do periodically. i also do interval training of 200 free squats. i'm 16 years old male, 5'5" ft tall, and fairly slight build but i am not lacking in power.

when first attempting the bench press, how much weight do you suggest i start with? also with squats? looking through threads about pro fitness tests, these two exercises are necessary.

about skipping, does it make a difference if i do skipping without a jumprope? i know that a jumprope probably trains wrist muscles, but as far as the legs, would it give me the same results?

#5 rajp25, Feb 25, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2006