Sweetspot size...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Kelvin, Apr 12, 2001.

1. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Well it's been mentioned already I think... but I'm going to ask you people again...

What are your opinions concerning the different sizes in the sweet spots of the various isometric racquet heads that Yonex, and other companies offer?

Is one design more effective than the other, in terms of power generated?
    Also is one type of design stronger than the other?
    Yonex users know this is true... but not all Yonex's are created equally as there are variations in the isometric head sizes through out the line up...
    What about other users out there who are using Wilson, Yang Yang, Carlton, Prince, Winex, and other manufacturers out there?
    Have you experienced any preferrable variations in the head shape of your racquets, that you would like to share?
    I honestly am a hardcore oval headshape fan... but I must admit that some of the isometric or larger frames have their charm, as they do have some effective means in changing our play.

One example (and I hope you don't mind my using you...)
    Kwun, I know used to or still uses racquets with traditional oval headshapes.
    However as of late... he has spoken very highly of recent releases MP 77 in the Yonex line... (I myself am becoming quite intrigued with the product, just because of the pictures... haha :lol: )
    That got me thinking about how well, or poorly I've been playing with my own racquet (Ti10) with the isometric headshape...
    I realized it took a lot more effort on my behalf to take advantage of the power, and versatility that the racquet has to offer... and to tell you the truth, I am still quite satisfied with my purchase. :)
    Anywho... before I go off track... any answers to my questions above would be quite welcome.
    Thanks,
    -Kelvin

2. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    I personally don't find any affect on the amount of power in the shots with the different head shapes but i do find that the racket head shape does affect consistency.

SORRY IF THIS APPEARS TWICE. I ACCIDENTALLY HIT POST.......

Anyway i find that you can hit more consistently with Isometric heads.....

3. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Actually, i do find that i am able to get more power from a larger sweet spot. THis is because i can hit it in the right spot very consistantly...with oval, there are times where i miss the sweet spot and therefore have a weak smash. ANyway the best experience i have had with enlarged sweet spot racquets is the Prince Y frame stuff. ITS REALLY GOOD.
    haha i find it better than iso...too bad they dont make it anymore "[

4. harry

harry Guest

I have prince rackets and they have that Y shape to it, it gives a pretty big sweet spot due to it's big rim area. I'm pretty sure that the hitting area is bigger than the isometric shape. Since I started off playing badminton with prince rackets I can barely hit anything with oval-shaped rackets but isometric's okay for me thatz why I was considering lately to get a tiSP, ti7, ti8 or somthing like that but I still have another prince racket that's almost at perfect condition so I'm just gonna play with that instead cos it has a very low dense string pattern with long strings and big hitting area/sweet spot and I've heard that every and any of these features gives good power and I'm looking forward to more power in my smashes and swings =)

5. kabuki

kabuki Regular Member

Hrm my racket has an isometric head shape which yonex advertised as having a larger sweet spot. Recently I've been trying to figure out more closely where my sweet spot is and i find its really small. Is it a byproduct of a stringer's stringing style? Or is it perhaps string type?

Or do people find that their sweet spot increases with use?
    I' m sort a getting the feeling that despite having this racket for quite some time I havn't been utilizing the racket properly as only recently i've been more inclined in trying to hit that sweet spot.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Normally, in an Oval head, your sweet spot is bang right in the centre and with the isometric head, the sweetspot is high up (due to the shape). A factor that will impact the size of the sweet spot is your string tension. The higher the tension, the small the sweet spot. And no, I don't have the numbers to say that if your tension is at 20lbs, your sweet spot should be this size for an oval, iso, etc. Another factor is your string gauge, the thinner your string, the smaller the sweet spot becomes.

7. kabuki

kabuki Regular Member

Interesting, the only thing i find odd is that my sweet spot doesn't seem to be dead center of the isometric head but rather blow center. And yes it is quite small i believe but the guage of my string is pretty large and albeit durable lol compared to ones i've seen that look like very fine filaments.

Perhaps I should try a new set of strings but, there really is nothing wrong with this one, so no reason to waste 30 bucks

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    it's hard to define a sweet spot,
    it isnt a sharp black and white boundary

9. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

i found that by gently bouncing the stringbed around on my wrist, i can find where the sweetspot is.
    someone we know, takes thread and uses it to "draw" a box around the sweetspot area. its pretty unique... he said on the more productive side of it being used is to keep the strings from shifting.

10. hahahalol

hahahalol Regular Member

to me....i think that if u play with a bigger sweetspot racket and u hit it dead centre of the sweetspot u wont get as much power than if u do the same with a racket that has a smaller sweetspot....this is becuz a smaller sweetspot has a more concentrated area, while the concentrated area of the bigger sweetspot have to spread out more since it's bigger...please dont get mad if u dont agree :eek:

11. kabuki

kabuki Regular Member

I think someone else mentioned that a smaller sweet spot has to do with stringing at a higher tension. But the advertised fact by yonex is that an isometric head shape is supposed to produce a larger sweet spot compared to a traditional head at the same tension.

I find that if i push with my thumbs against the strings evenly that there is a spot that is not as tense and thus I can push it more than other areas. That i believe is my sweet spot. Also playing and trying purposely to hit that spot gives u that nice "Bang" sound, with power, and more speed. I also finding that hitting that area also seems to give more control as you know where u''re hitting compared to say if u have bad coordination and always clank it off the rim :)

My question that no one seems to have yet answer is...does the stringing method ie. the technical procedure or pattern in stringing alter the location or size and location of the sweet spot? It seems to me that every person/stringer has their own style and machinery and methods that it would seem most likely that would occur.

#11 kabuki, Apr 2, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  12. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

yea, there are lots of stringing habits to affect the sweetspot.
    skipping crosses at the top or bottom is the most commonly used technique to do such a thing.

i personally find hitting off-center produces more control. for net play, i mean.
    the sweetspot results in the shuttle being far too bouncy and unpredictable, even at 26lbs, in such cases.

13. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

My experience is that Yonex ISO series have a smaller sweetspot than say the MP or Ti series. By the sweetspot, I'm referring to the area on the string bed where power delievered to the shuttle is roughly maximum. It could be that at low tension, only a small part of the string bed is stiff for the sweetspot, but at higher tension, more of the string bed is stiff and that I consider as the sweetspot.

Black Knight's Power Channel series seem to have a very large sweetspot. Most of the string bed feels uniformly stiff.

14. kabuki

kabuki Regular Member

That is true but i guess you can argue that one can have a large sweet spot but do not have the proper technique/strength in relation to the string tension to utilize all of the sweet spot and have that desired trampoline effect at its maximum.