How to win when playing in opponent's homeground!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by mel_baddie, Feb 20, 2006.

1. mel_baddie

mel_baddie Regular Member

hi guys,

i play in the league and consider myself as an intermediate to advanced player. the problem is when we play off-wards in opponent's territory, i always seem not be able to play my normal game and end up losing to an opponent that i know i can beat:crying::mad::confused::eek::(. and when we play at home, my game style is different and i almost always win.

of course, the opponent have home advantage and we have to get used to playing in a new hall but how do one overcome this?

i think, with a new hall, one ist not really certain about placement and does not really dare to really hit the birdy near the lines. but are there other factors?

hope to hear some good replies from you all! thanks.

mel_baddie:)

2. alvinlai

alvinlai Regular Member

Legal Counsel
    I'd love to hear responses for this as I'm playing the knockout stages in East Anglia which is about 5 hours away. I hope to do well despite being tired from the journey. And a 5 hours journey back would be pleasant indeed with a win. Anyone with any views?

My previous experiences involves having a mini 5 point game with my team mates during the warm up sessions. This helps us to get use to the new court and the surroundings ie flooring, lighting, cheers from audiences, noice level etc. Plus this helps to warm up really well rather than just a stretching and hitting the shuttle to and fro and you won't lose out despite losing the 5 points game.

Another weird preference of mine is to bring a big bag with loads of personal stuffs. Shirts, mags, nail clippers, plastic bags, towels, pics, medication and so on. I feel more comfortable to have them with me in my away game as I might not get what I want when I need them. Better to be safe than sorry, and it puts your mind at ease. Using your team mates' stuffs might not be so comfy at times. I love to have my most comfy shirt to play in rather than my team shirt at times. It gives me more oommpphh~!

3. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    play and train at many many different places

and most importantly,

DONT THINK ABOUT IT. just play.
    it's very normal for a player to play below his level during competitions. it's the nerves... someone who can control his nerves is called "experienced" =)

4. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    play warm up. strokes. get the feel of the new surroundings:D

5. mel_baddie

hmm.. you are right. having a mini game before the singles should be good . i think also that my body is always cold when i start to play. hitting the ball to and fro is ok but not enough to get your body warmed up.

i too wear my own polo shirt when i am playing instead of the team shirt. the team shirt i find not very comfortable. ;)

and i guess i still need to have more match experience. i started playing again since september last year from a 7 year layoff. not coz of injury, but just so.

6. taber

taber Regular Member

Hm.. Never had that problem. Have you played in alot of tournaments before? That should help. I guess you can't do anything else than warm up and hit around.

7. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

I have exact same problem
    I'm not talking about playing bellow what I can, but about not being able to get into the game at all !!!
    I can swear some places I played the court was 1 meter long than the one of my club :confused: I would hit my best clear and return to base position, my opponent would return a drop, I rush forward but don't get even near reaching the shuttle.

even if he is better than me I should be able to return 1 drop from him.
    also lighting is a problem, it seems most foreighn halls I visit are much darker and I loose orientation in the court.

I do warm up with teamates but not sure how much it helps.
    I might try the short game advice, it might be better than simple shuttle hitting

10x

8. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    Some of the things the coach forced on us for away games when I was in Yr. 12:
    1. Warm up, jog along the gym, 5 mins, whilst watching the length and width of the court (mostly 3-4 courts side by side gyms).
    2. 5 minutes practicing service with the shuttles provided (we usually ask for older shuttles), the other party practices footwork, attempting to receive (but only collect), and adapt to lighting. Swap.
    3. Mini games for 5 mins, not full pace.

The goal of the exercise is to get used to the lighting, seeing the lines, and shuttle speed (I've played against a school using very fast shuttles).

9. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

The 5 minute mini-rally is a great idea but don't push yourself too much.

What you can try...

(1) practise serving several times because that will give you the confidence if you know your serves are tight to the net. Remember, good serves are critical to start the rally!

(2) during the warm-up clears, every sixth or seventh hit, your partner should let the shuttle fall, this way you can gage how close you are to the back lines

(3) half of your warm-ups should be done on one side of the court, then change sides with your partner to get a feel for the other side

(4) have a standard series of warm-up drills to get you and your partner ready for the real thing

(5a) take 30 seconds and scan your surroundings and take note of the ceiling, lights, wall colours, colour of the lines, etc

(5b) take another 30 seconds with your partner and discuss which would you prefer...to take serve or sides to maximize the court conditions

Cheers!

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Arrive at the venue much earlier than usual, say at least half an hour in advance to get used to the surroundings, especially court conditions. You need to warm up and play in the court beforehand as suggested by others.

Yes, bring along something that you feel much at home about, say listening to your favourite music or song with your earphones on.

Make sure you eat enough of energy food before your match at least 2 hours beforehand and drink before, during and after your match. If your match is delayed have a banana and sport drinks in between.

11. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

last time we arrived half an hour before the game we ended up waiting outside hald an hour for someone to open the gym :( :D

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Haha, yes this can happen. What did you all do then? Survey the neighbourhood? :D

13. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    One time, we arrived 30 mins early, they didn't let us in till 30 mins after :/

We couldn't go anywhere, because if we're late, it'll be considered default :mad:

14. mel_baddie

well...luckily we never had hat problem about waiting outside. as the hosts, the hall should be open at least 30 minutes before the league match begins. :)

15. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

well, I did nothing but wait, others smoked :rolleyes:

16. mel_baddie

haha
    wish i can smoke too but i try not to before a match. and also the others do not know that i smoke. if they do, i might get negative response from the team. :D

17. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

well, just had a game yesterday outside
    unfortunately I performed quite bad as usually :crying:
    not using any tactics at all, and far too many errors, just gave it away :(
    I can give many exuces like I came straight from studying/drived about 3hrs before the game, etc .... but I guess it also takes more experience to learn to keep focus when needed because we can't always be in best condition for games.
    hope to do better next time

18. mel_baddie

poor thing. yes..S*** happens. and we cannot always win all the time. :crying:
    i will have a home game on sunday.. let's hope and see what happens if i can confirm my theory.

where do you play yuval?

19. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

I am from Israel. I play in a non proffesional league, more for the practice than real competition at the moment ....