new user with question. very old carlton boron

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by type R jai, Feb 20, 2006.

1. type R jai

type R jai Regular Member

hey guys new around here:)
    so just saying hi but ive also got a q question:cool:
    ive just picked up the game after a few years off and im really enjoying it again
    loads of fun when playing with people better than u are:D

anyway my question is wether i should ditch my racquet
    and is anyone here still using or did use the same raquest and what have they moved on to.

my racket is a still carlton boron
    shouldbe a right antique now
    its black head and shaft, leadin to a little bit of white just before the grip and its got flourescent orange strips on head and shaft with lots of little glimmering metal effect all over and the shaft is real flexible
    i remember it cost 80 pounds

now i understand loads of questions like this have been asked but this raquet was brought for me by my dad when i was 13 and im now 26:crying: :D :eek:

i just wanna know and here from players that have used the raquet and what they have moved onto and there thioughts??
    im keen on getting a yonex mp99 but al a bit reluctant as i feel my raquet is still holding up well when im using it,i really dont know how much better raquets have go better since i was 13:D

2. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    My first Pro-racket is Carlton Boron Classic, it is Black background with Blue decor and white wordings. It is a really good racket and I prefer it rather than Cab 20 and I also found many under 18 Hong Kong team were using this series of racket (other one is Kelvar Classic) at that moment (around 1989).

As per your description in colour, it should be powerflo line rather than Classic line.

Boron is quite weak, it must be broken within 2 years if you strung 22lbs or above with frequent playing every weeks. If I get a Boron Classic, I must keep it for collection rather than play it. IMO, MP 99 will be more powerful then those old technology (assume it is same level with Cab 20). But if you like flex shaft, just think about MP66 or MP77. We should choose a racket suit us rather than depending on references or endorsement.

The last Carlton Boron Racket should be Boron Hi-T (around 1997) and this racket should be made in England. I have searching it for many years, but........................the availability in Hong Kong is very low.

Is it possible to post a picture??

#2 forrestyung, Feb 20, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  3. type R jai

yes it is a powerflo series and ive had it strung wtih yonex bg65 to about 24lbs. i play quite well with it and i like the way it feel

too be honest i dont even know if i will play well with a hard shaft but im quite keen to get a new raquet ive been using this one for about 10 odd years now

ive read loads of reviews about boron being weak but mine is still in good shapeish, my origional carlton carbon powerflo as very weak once i restrung its the raquet practically colapse probably cos they over strung it

here are a few picks sorry for quality[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kob Thirapong likes this.
  4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    That racquet is fine, and more importantly: you're happy with it, so in my opinion there's absolutely no point in getting a new one just because this one's "old".

Happy playing!

5. type R jai

i guess your right
    whenever i use another racket i cant generate the same power or play shots half as well

i know people say u should never buy a racket cos its a good racket but sometimes ita phycological thing, having a good racket at hand may make u play more confidently ??

6. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    The racket is really cool.................

7. type R jai

thanks man

its a antique really
    i was thinknig about it and its veru old racket
    i actually got it when i was 12/13 which makes this tacket 13 years old
    i guess i should post it in the rare racket thread to see if anyone has used one or still owns one,

still wanna hear from some goood players as to what they think abiut this racket:p

8. A_F

A_F Regular Member

Electronics MFG
    Classic, yes it is...i just strung one of those Powerflo BR's up for a buddy who still has one...i also know 2 guys who have the blue/pink Powerflo too...they look so cool with the really round head.

AF

9. type R jai

really thats cool
    are they good players and let me know what your mate thinks of it
    like i said i strung mine to 24lbs and really like playing it, i can pretty much play any shop i chose and can generate loads of power when i hit it right in the sweet spot, but i quite fancy a yones muscle power 90/99 but not sure if its worthwhile

i use to have a purple powerflo carbon, it was actually racket before this it looked really nice with purple frame, flourescent yellow streaks instead of orange like my boron racket, i also strung it yellow it looked:D

#9 type R jai, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  10. runswimbike

runswimbike Regular Member

Student
    Do you mind posting a picture of your Carlton Boron Classic? From your description, I think I have one just like yours. It's my dad's and he doesn't recall much about it. I tried to do a search on google but to no avail. The nylon strings on my Carlton just gave way a few days ago and i'm thinking of re-stringing mine but i'm afraid the stringer might break the racket. Please advise if you can. I'll post a picture of my boron classic as soon as I get it photographed.

11. runswimbike

Student
    Here's my Carlton Boron Classic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://theninthmuse.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dsc08879a.jpg[/IMG
    [IMG]http://theninthmuse.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dsc08893a.jpg

Kob Thirapong likes this.
  12. runswimbike

Student
    I'm deeply sorry for the over-sized image. How can I delete it???

13. type R jai

Sorry for the old old thread revival but i thought i'd post something interesting about the Carlton. Possibly explains where the power comes from now as its supremely head heavy.

Rackets were weighed in grams on kitchen scales. All rackets are strung with BG65Ti. Original grip removed and re gripped with Karakal PU.

Carlton powerflo boron = 93g - Length 660mm - B.P 314mm
    Yonex Armotec AT700 = 99g (3UG3 UK Racket ) - Length 677mm - B.P 303mm
    Yonex Muscle Power MP99 = 98g (3UG3 UK Racket ) - Length 677mm - B.P 293mm

Having another session on sunday. Gonna dig out the Carlton. The shaft is about as flexible as the Armotec but its lighter and has a heavier head. Which explains why ive always felt it to be a light and powerful racket. Am i right in thinking its weight is similar to a wet 4U racket ?

anyone got one for sale ??

14. John Kay Familleza

John Kay Familleza New Member

Would like to buy your Carlton powerflo boron. Willing to pay for shipping.
    Thanks.

15. Prinz Achse

Prinz Achse New Member

Hi, which one are you searching for?
    I’ve got two different versions. The older one with black and white metallic paint and orange stripes/letters (blue endcap) called Powerflo BR. And the newer one (I think the latest model of the Powerflo series) with mat black and metallic silver gray paint and light golden stripe/letters (black endcap). This model is called Powerflo BR-Pro. I’ve got two of each in like new condition. All of those rackets are real one piece constructions with graphite handle.
    Let me know, if you’re interested. I may also show you some photos.

16. John Kay Familleza

I'm interested in the older Powerflo BR. May I please have photos?.
    Thank you.

17. Prinz Achse

Prinz Achse New Member

Here are some photos.
    The rackets are different although they seem to be one model. And it’s not only the imprint but also the stiffness. The model with the bigger letters is certainly stiffer overall (shaft and frame).
    And also the bags are slightly different.
    For more information/photos you may contact me directly: entri [at] web.de.

Attached Files:

18. John Kay Familleza

Tried making an account with web.de.
    My Google account stopped me from going forward because it might compromise the security/safety.

19. Alastair Gorton

Alastair Gorton New Member

Heya

Not sure if they are still available but I am trying to find an old Carlton Powerfo (I loved playing with mine back in the day) and would be interested in buying one of these if you still have them? Cheers Alastair

20. Prinz Achse

Prinz Achse New Member

Hi Alastair, my Powerflos are still available.
    You may contact me using the email address I mentioned above.