TUC Greece - 21 Point System

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by serviceover, Feb 21, 2006.

1. serviceover

serviceover Regular Member

Logistics
    I know the new scoring system has been discussed many times before, but I have just returned from the TUC in Greece and wanted to share my thoughts.

At first, like many I was sceptical about it. Would it provide the same excitement and thrills as before? Will the players “Play it safe” or go for it? Well, the players DIDN’T play it safe and YES there was excitement, tension, close battles and fantastic badminton. The match between Germany and Poland in the Qtr finals of the Thomas cup was absolutely gripping. It had comebacks, third games ending in the 2 point zone and went to the last game, in the doubles and Germany won the tie 3-2. Wow, it was great (the System, not so good if your Polish :D ).

Perhaps the IBF have got it right? Only time will tell.

2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Does one exciting tie in the whole event mean the system is great? :confused:

Wouldn't it have been at least as exciting if it had been in 3x15 scoring?

Of course badminton is and stays a good sport, and the style of play would need several years to radically change because of the scoring. (time for players/coaches to move to new power/speed training programs etc...)

After just one event of trial, obviously the players are still the same players with the same skills etc... so no big difference in playing style! (nor hierarchy)

3. serviceover

Logistics
    This tie was just one example of many good and exciting matches that were played using the new system. I'm not saying that it wouldnt have been as exciting with 3 x 15, but we have all asked if 3 x 21(rally) would be as exciting as conventional scoring....... based on Greece (and still with an open mind), I say yes...

4. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    OK, well it didn't seem so exciting from the results (many 5-0 or 4-1), but it is always more exciting to be in the hall...

5. serviceover

Logistics
    Even with conventional scoring, some ties would have been 5-0, 4-1 and in less than 2 hours......

6. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Yes I know.
    This is why european phase of Thomas/Uber Cup is not so exciting. Too much level difference between teams...

But the ties would have lasted longer though!

7. Mr. Fault

Mr. Fault Regular Member

IBF must be happy!

I guess that this was the whole reason to change - so as to make matches more TV 'time' friendly. There were no upsets, either at Team level or Player level, so, the more efficient time must be a positive benefit, mustn't it?

Of course, the most competitive match of the whole Event went on for over 4 hours. I cannot see how that could have been accomodated by any TV schedule. Does this then defeat the purpose?

I am sure that the IBF have the answer (!).

Was the European Zone of the T&U shown on TV? I guess that it was difficult to compete with AEK and Panathanaikos!!!!!!!!

Vive la differance!

8. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    The duration is not really the problem IMO.

TVs do show Davis Cup during three days, with very long matches etc...
    English TV even shows cricket which is probably the "worse" when it comes to duration! :p

On the other hand, french TV didn't even show one handball match, when France became european champion. Though the duration is perfectly short and predictable (2x30 min).

So no, this has nothing to do with duration, but more with whether they think it is a good financial move or not, to show badminton...