The Cast: Thomas & Uber Cups Finals

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by Loh, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    This is the TC-UC Finals cast which will be featured in Sendai and Tokyo, Japan from April 28-May 7:

Defending Champions, China and Japan as Hosts will be competing in the Finals for both Cups.

Thomas Cup

Asia: Malaysia, India, Indonesia, S. Korea
    Europe: Denmark, Germany, England
    Pan-America: United States
    Oceania: New Zealand
    Africa: Winners of qualifers in Mauritius from Feb 19-22.

Uber Cup

Asia: S. Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong
    Europe: England, Holland, Germany
    Pan-America: United States
    Oceania: New Zealand
    Africa: Winners of qualifiers in Mauritius from Feb 19-22.

Before this, in the Melbourne Commonwealth Games from Mar 15-26, Malaysia, India, England, New Zealand, Singapore and maybe one of the African qualifiers (if it was formerly a British colony) will fight for honours against the other Commonwealth countries. Hong Kong used to be a member until she was returned to China in 1997.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Just to complete the picture, the country representing the African continent is none other than South Africa for both the TC and UC. With Morten Frost, the Danish legend, as their coach, it is not surprising that S. Africa is dominant there. But against the other countries which have qualified, S. Africa will find it tough going. :rolleyes:

It is interesting to note the BC poll done todate for the Uber Cup for the runner-up position, China being the foregone winner:

View Poll Results: who will be the runner-up in the 2006 Uber Cup?
    This poll will close on 03-05-2006 at 05:02 AM

Denmark 6 6.90%
    England 1 1.15%
    Japan 27 31.03%
    Korea 35 40.23%
    Malaysia 14 16.09%
    Netherlands 4 4.60%

The two main contenders, Japan and S. Korea, are definitely in the running. Although I have given my vote to Korea, I'm now having second thoughts - no thanks to the very convincing analysis by our pro-Japan friends. And with the advantage of playing on home ground, Japan seems to have an added ally. Japan's women singles players are not to trifle with and their two doubles pairs have been making waves in the recent past. Who else behind such impressive improvement but the legendary Korean coach, Park Joo Bong?

Two of the above poll countries did not make it to the finals, Malaysia and Denmark. In their place, are Taiwan and Germany. Of course, Singapore also made it for the first time in its history together with Hong Kong, representing the four countries from the Asian continent.

Taiwan will be the dark horse, I think, and will surprise many with their performance. ;)

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just want to confirm the play format..

..sorry folks if this has been answered before, but i just want to confirm the play order in this year's Thomas & Uber Cups edition..Are they different or the same??..And will they stay the same format throughout the whole tournament??..
    Thomas Cup : MS, MS, MS, MD, MD...??..or different order..
    Uber Cup : WS, WD, WS, WD, WS..??..or different order..

I've been getting mixed information for each Cup, so just want to get a confirmation it, thanks!-:)

#3 ctjcad, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Never mind...

Got my answer here...http://www.yonex-tuc.com/english/whattu/index.html..:p:)

#4 ctjcad, Apr 6, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  5. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

Complete roster list

Where can I find the complete roster list of all particpiating countries?

Thanks.