User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is my Yonex Armortec 800 Offensive broken?

I recently purchased an Armortec 800 Offensive off of ebay. In another thread I posted pictures to confirm it's authenticity. It has all the signs of being authentic, and if it is a fake, it is a damn good fake. I compared it to a real Yonex MusclePower 99 and all of the characteristics are similar (fonts, shape, size, grommets, etc.). That being said, I am certain that the Armortec I have is authentic.

I got it strung with Ashaway MicroLegend XL @ 22 lbs at a local sports store (Sports Experts). The strings broke after a 10 minute warm-up and I realized it was because one of the top of my grommets was broken so it ripped the string. I took it back to Sports Experts and they re-strung it again for free, with again, Ashaway MicroLegend XL @ 22 lbs. Again tonight the strings broke, but lasted 4 games this time around. I am really frustrated! I really enjoy the racket while the strings last; clears are effortless, my smashes have improved, etc.

I never clashed the racket with anyone, and the strings broke both times on a smash, and it wasn't a mis-hit. This time when the strings broke, it looks like the top apex of my racket is broken. However, the top is still very strong and nothing seems to be broken by the feel of it. I can't bend or fold the racket as it is still solid at that point. Does it look like the racket is forever broken? Can someone please have a look and let me know if I should try to get this racket re-strung? I definitely will not be getting it strung again at Sports Experts!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by daMaster; 02-21-2006 at 10:31 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, your racquet is broken. It suffered a fatal string job. The guy at the store didn't use padding at the head and throat: hence, you have high-noon disease .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep its gone. thats a crack right there. gosh that sucks!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, that sucks! Please don't tell me this!

I haven't gotten to use the racket for more than 2 hours straight and I've played less than 5 games with it! My Isometric 75 MF Light has lasted 1.5 years and is still strong in comparison but was only strung at 18 lbs.

Is there anything I can do to get a warranty replacement from Yonex? Should I make the store (Sports Experts) give me a new racket even though I didn't buy the racket from them???

Should I try to get it re-strung somewhere else and see how long it lasts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It should be caused by stringing with 2 points machine. But it is seldom to have this problem at 22lbs x 24lbs. I have faced this problem when I was stringing in 25lbs x 28lbs and cushion is not enough, but the debossed area is not as deep as per your picture.

You can send the picture to your seller and see the possibility to return and replacement. If it is really cannot replace a new one, you can add some glue epoxy to strengthen it, if you tension is still at 22lbs, it should be able to survival for more matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yep broken;;; Not enough padding used while stringing the mains..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is so disappointing I spent about $185 CAD on this racket and now I have to throw it away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daMaster
    This is so disappointing I spent about $185 CAD on this racket and now I have to throw it away
    Don't throw it away, it should be able to play for a little bit longer after added Glue epoxy. If you are in Hong Kong, I can help you to re-string it at cost price to test it is still OK or not, but............................

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely will not be getting it strung again at Sports Experts!!!
    Another lesson being learned the hard way. NEVER go to the big chain stores for re-string, as they have very little (if not none) knowledge about how to string a badminton racket.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there anything I can do to get a warranty replacement from Yonex? Should I make the store (Sports Experts) give me a new racket even though I didn't buy the racket from them???
    1. I don't think Yonex US (or CAN) will honor warranty on other region's rackets.

2. Try to talk with the store, and see if they admit their fault, and can at least cover some of your lost.

Best of luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I doubt it was strung by a two-point machine. The most likely cause is an electronic machine with six-point support. The dude who did the string job didn't put leather padding or Gosen type plastic insert to cushion the load. Electronic tension head pulls very hard even at 22 lbs. The head post doesn't have enough area to spread the load. As a result, the frame in that specific area collapsed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I have zero experience in stringing or stringing machines, I presume there is a recommended stringing pattern from the manufacturer for each series of racquets.

I would first go back to the mega-sport store and try to snap a picture of the stringing machine, check the recommended stringing pattern, solicit opinions from experienced BC/BF stringers, and go back and speak to the store manager, armed with all your facts (ie/ clamps, pattern, etc.), as to why it was the stringers fault.

The longer you wait, the less effective your argument will be. Good luck!

Cheers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    I doubt it was strung by a two-point machine. The most likely cause is an electronic machine with six-point support. The dude who did the string job didn't put leather padding or Gosen type plastic insert to cushion the load. Electronic tension head pulls very hard even at 22 lbs. The head post doesn't have enough area to spread the load. As a result, the frame in that specific area collapsed!
    I do stringing in both 2 points machine at my home and 4 points machine at my store. This is no problem for my 4 points machine with 28lbs and without cushion, so that's why I will suspect this is the problem of 2 points machine. In fact, I have never tried electronic machine.

For the 2 points machine, from my experience, because lack of supporting, the frame will become round, at this moment, the 12' and 6' positions are needed to suffer all the force from main string and lead these two locations deboss or even breakage.

If Sports Experts is a large retailer, the chance of using 2 points machine is quite know. DaMaster, do you have any idea??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forrestyung
    I do stringing in both 2 points machine at my home and 4 points machine at my store. This is no problem for my 4 points machine with 28lbs and without cushion, so that's why I will suspect this is the problem of 2 points machine. In fact, I have never tried electronic machine.

For the 2 points machine, from my experience, because lack of supporting, the frame will become round, at this moment, the 12' and 6' positions are needed to suffer all the force from main string and lead these two locations deboss or even breakage.

If Sports Experts is a large retailer, the chance of using 2 points machine is quite know. DaMaster, do you have any idea??
    Sorry for mistyped the word.

If Sports Experts is a large retailer, the chance of using 2 points machine is quite low. DaMaster, do you have any idea??

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't say how many points stringing machine it is but what I do know is the stringer pulled the 12 and 6 o'clock points way too tight (he/she elongated the racket too much), probably without any protection and that's why the racket is cracked like that.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by forrestyung
    I do stringing in both 2 points machine at my home and 4 points machine at my store...For the 2 points machine, from my experience, because lack of supporting, the frame will become round, at this moment, the 12' and 6' positions are needed to suffer all the force from main string and lead these two locations deboss or even breakage.
    Actually, if the stringer stretched the 12 and 6 o'clock positions too much, it doesn't matter if it's a 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 point machine, the racket frame is already distorted.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malayali
    yep broken;;; Not enough padding used while stringing the mains..
    Actually, padding is not that big of a deal, aside from potentially scratching the frame. The key is the stringer stretched the racket too much at the 12 and 6 o'clock points.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast