improving arm speed

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lkomarci, Feb 24, 2006.

1. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

hey ppl,

what is the best way to improve arm speed for smashing? any good exercises? or should i practice a lot of smashes?

2. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    well, as long as u have a proper swing, continue to practise will improve yr smash naturally

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

weight training helps

4. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    Well i tried the old racket in the case trick and i swinged about 50 times then i used my normal racket and swinged made a huge difference for a while. I acually wacked myself in in leg really hard without me swinging hard due to the racket in the case. It was like swinging without using any strength but goes fast. ^.^

5. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    yep you can also try using a squash racquet, but be careful. after you finish using it, you'll feel the difference.

6. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

ya, squash and tennis racquet really helps. but most of all, practicing makes it all good.

7. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

oooh yea right, i remember someone once told me about the thing with a squash racquet. i'll do that for sure.
    i've also heard that it's good to put a sock on the racquet head so that you need to swing harder because of the resistance the air is giving.

thanx for the tips guys

8. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    just dont go overboard with swinging the squash racquet. dont want to hurt yourself

9. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

ok i won't, for starters i'll just do a bit of drive on each practice so that my wrist gets used to the weight and stress.

10. w3ncong

w3ncong Regular Member

11. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

yea i know, i use my body weight in shots as much as i can, or as much as i've learned to use it. i don't have the perfect conditions to train badminton, neither did i always have a good coach to teach me technique. so some bad habits still haven't gone, but i'm doing my best.

you know what...the funniest thing is when i see some "kids" (13, 14 yrs old) smashing harder than i ever could. boxing gave me good physique, strong and fast muscles, so i'm trying to help myself by putting together the missing bits and pieces.

12. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    well, its not just using your body, its the flick of the wrist too. i used to do that all wrong in the past, use mostly arm strength and end up with a sore arm/shoulder, despite hitting it as hard as i could, it didnt really seem to fly fast, that was until i used my wrist more. i just use a regular swing then snap my wrist at the point of impact with the shuttlecock, i noticed my smashes were more powerful and sharper. oh yeah, making sure it hits the sweet spot of your racket makes it faster. :)

13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

same concept with the case on and practicing.

14. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Something that increases your arm speed is throwing old tennis rackets like as if clearing (or doing tennis serve). They're more heavy than badminton rackets and as long as the motion of throwing is exactly that of your clear's (except for the part when you let go of the racket), you should be able to go through some improvement. The forearm pronation part is about the most important part of the throwing, concentrate on it.

15. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    heh i found this out by not warming up properly lol:D .....its ur chest, shoulder and lats... cuz i didnt stretch/warm up properly my shoulder like over stretched when i smashed and after a while my chest started to hurt(pex)then after a longer period ur lats start to hurt and if u dont know what lats are there ur wings make u fly....on ur back.....build those muscles up for however u want to use them...power low reps high weight, endurance low-mid weight 12-15 reps. just do taht for the off season training those muscles and ur legs for jump smashes and u will be invinsible lol wait...invincible?

+ swinging tennnis rackets and squash rackets are dangerous because if u use ur wrists with those things ouch....they basically fall off

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Same as throwing a punch. Relax the arm to generate the most speed of the arm. Tighten the muscles at the last moment but crucially only the ones that add to speed. The arm also contains muscles that will oppose speed generation and unconciously, many people tighten these ones as well when making the stroke.

17. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    lol what cheung say is pretty hard to do u must experiment urself and learn urself no words are ever really going to help u.....

18. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

yea sure, theory is a whole different universe. about tightening the right muscles in the right moment, and NOT tightening the wrong muscles in the right moment. that's just too much :)

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But don't you do it in boxing to increase your arm speed?

For instance, if you throw a right jab, part of the action is to contract your triicep for arm straightening. If you were to tighten your bicep at the same time, the whole action will be slowed down.

Then to do repeated jabs, would it be better to keep a wholly tensed up arm, or a relaxed arm?