MP66: A light headed & flexible shaft, wiv a tight 24lbs BG66 strings?Is tht rite?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by milton_ng, Feb 25, 2006.

1. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    hie..I would say that I'm an average player..I've been to training and stuff like that b4, but my game is usually very dry/brainless, and not consistent at all.. On some occations I could beat almost everyone on the court, and sometimes I could even get trash by the same person I beat the week b4.. so well this is just a little discription of myself here..

Just yesterday, I bought myself a new Yonex MP66, cuz I wasn't too please wiv most of my other Isometric Heavy Head Balance rackets..And in the MP66, this is instead is a Light-headed Balance one..My initial Impresion of it was good, at least it suit me better then the heavy headed ones, based on just a few shots against the wall..I'll only be playing on the court tomorrow..

But! I guess the question here, is that have I made the right choice of getting a Light headed one, instead of even of an even balance one?? what is the difference btw? Is it a very marginal difference between them?

I would say, I have no problems in smashing, and the reason I bought a new racket was to improve the accuracy & placings of my net shots, drop shots, baseline clearings, and smash clearings... Therefore, have I made a right choice in getting such a long flexible shafted Light headed racket, together wiv such a high tension of 24lbs strings?? Or else which other rackets would me better? NS8000? MP99? MP100? Or any others? Please help me out guys.. would really appreciate it.. thnx =)

2. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    If you have just bought a mp66 stick with it.:) All MP series are good.

Probably not good Idea to get a NANOSpeed8000. It is more suited for advanced players as I personally feel along with others that a fast wristy swing is needed to get power from it.

Mp100 and mp99 are good but very pricey just like the Nano's.......it's unlikely that a more expensive racket will improve your game.

You are best to stay with the racket you have and experiment with different strings and tensions. For a beginer or inconsistant player 24lbs sounds pretty high. Try a tension around 21-22lbs as a starting point and go up or down from there and see what feels better.

Change your strings/tension before you start looking at other rackets it can have a better effect than getting another racket.

3. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    MP series racquets are good but I use another brand (LaFleche). It has a long shaft and is very light. It may be similar to your Mp66. It does very well in what you said (net shots, drop shots, baseline clearings, and smash clearings). The racquet is also very good in net kills. The even-balanced racquet is very good in net shots, but it is slightly weaker and much slower in net kill.

I use my SuperLight LF-Ti 500 exclusively in lessons (we use feather shuttles). 25-26 lbs is my preference.

Because the LF-500 is so light, I can move it with ease and with stable hand. The racquet serves my purpose of learning footworks and correct forms.

For LF-500 info, search "LF 500" to see the LF thread by Taneepak.

4. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I think this is supposed to b asked in the equipment section?

5. RedCrab

RedCrab Regular Member

The MP66 is a good racquet...., I find it very good in defence...especially clearing smashes. It also have good balance, hence it is good at the net.

The main difference between MP and the higher range MP racquets (MP99 and MP100) is the flexibility of the shaft. MP 66 is a flexible racquet (according to Yonex) while MP99 and MP100 is extra stiff.

I feel if you are an attacking player..., the MP 99 and MP 100 is a better choice as it is more lethal and accurate on smashes.

For normal players who play for fun and leisure...the MP 66 is the rite racquet for you as it is good and also cheap.

6. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    Yes, i think this shouldve been posted in the equipment section. This really isnt anything about techniques. If you need help finding the equipment section, it is under Discussion Forum and equipments. Always willing to help ^.^

7. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    thnx guys..

hie guys thnx lots for the advice..well actually I've recently purchase a new CAB21 SP..and it seemed to suite me a little better..I guess it's probably due to it's stiffness..it's a very accurate racquet..and the sweetsport seems to be smaller..but then again i feel somehow all these makes me work harder to improve my game..thnx lots guys for u advises once again..peace ^^

8. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    only problem with cap21 SP

The only problem I seem to get with the CAB21 SP is Its rather heavy for a wristy playr like me..I like to use a lot of wrist flicks when playing..but with this 2U racquet I usually feel a sharp pain after 3 hours of playing..that was the reason i'm considering to get myself a NANOSPEED8000..but the only hasitation is that I've used a similar headlight racquet in MP66 but it was too flexible for me..I admit using the MP66 for defence was indeed perfect, but it definitely took a huge toll in my smashes..In such I wonder would it be the same wiv the nano8k...since both are head-light, but the only difference in the 8k is it's stiff...sorry guys if i'm posting this enquiry in a wrong forum..i'm really new in this website..

9. sharpmindx

sharpmindx Regular Member

Banker
    i was in the shop 2 days ago - Cab21sp according to the shop is still very popular with the malaysian national players despite being in the market for so long. for carbonex series - the sweet spot is smaller but it is also higher - ie u can hit the birdie slightly earlier. I didn't get the Cab21sp but bought the armotec 700 - which is head heavy compared to nano series.

10. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    ur right sharpmind!

yes it's indeed true many malaysian national players uses the cab21 SP..players such as Wong Chong Hann, Chan Chong Ming uses them even till this very day..Lately I've been contemplating of whether to get a NANOSPEED 7000 for myself, since I heard good commends that it suits wristy players like me.. oh btw SHARPMINDS,how much did u got ur CAB21 SP for? The cheapest I could get it here is RM250! And the price of the NS7000 is RM560..I wonder if it's cheaper over there in Singapore.. And ya ur right the sweetspot for the CAB is at the top head..But i'm strating to feel it kinda slowing down my game..and costing me valuable points..I usually use lots of wristworks..And this 2U racquet is indeed too heavy and too stiff for me..I strung it with BG66 at 24lb btw..Do u face the same thing?

I was hoping too if anyone here is willing to sell a 2nd hand NS7000...? cuz i'm interested.. anyone could tell me if the NS7000 is less/more stiff then those MP99/CAB21SP? thnx so much in advance... =)

11. milton_ng

milton_ng Regular Member

Student
    thnx lots for all the replies earlier..

hey guys..just wanna say thnx for all the replies sent earlier..have training hard and wanting to improve my game..but just hoping to find an ideal racquet for myself at the same time.. Money is really not an issue actually.. so I'm currently looking into getting either a MP99/ NS7000/ AT800DF..
    Pleae take note too that I'm a rather diffensive player that likes to play in both singles and doubles..so I really hope u guys could help me out here.. Oh and one more thing I'm a person that does lots of forehand smashes, rather then arm swing smashes.. :)

12. sharpmindx

sharpmindx Regular Member

Banker
    I didn't get the Cab21SP - It was around 140 sing. I bought Armotec 700 instead for 225. The shop stopped me from buying nano - becos according to the guy - it is very difficult to handle. For an offensive player - u should get a heavyheaded racquet as it is better for smashing. I think ur problem is u bought the 2u - becos most yonex comes in 3u.
    Just like golf - doesn't mean u can use the same equipment as the pro. Better to try and feel the racquet.