what inner-sole to use?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kwun, Apr 15, 2001.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Hi,

so i've managed to destroy the inner-sole of my shoes recently. i wonder if anyone has suggestion on good replacement? are there "good" inner-soles for badminton? or is the normal generic foamy stuff enough for the purpose?

cheers.

2. May

May Guest

I daresay that the usual foamy is good enough. Damn, I keep having double vision.

3. Don

Don Regular Member

Dr. Sholes.. I think that is what they're called.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i saw those in the pharmacies, but which one? they have all those fancy ones. should i just get the simplest foamy one?

has anyone experimented on them?

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is it for foot odour? Hahahaha

Used to use sorbathane for foot cushioning, only the small one for heels. Don't seem to have the same problem in HK, I think the quality of shoes has got better over the years or better variety available in Asia. UK only had limited number of shoes.

6. AF

AF Guest

Hi,

You need replacement insoles. I suggest you go try out SUPERFEET, they are a little expensive but they provide lots of support and cushioning to your feet. There are mainly 2 kinds and they work in all types of shoes, your everyday/casual/work/dress shoes. There is the green, which is used on shoes which can have the original insole taken out. Then light blue ones are thinner and designed to go into shoes that the insoles are not removable. I have the greens in all my shoes and my feet are not as tired, even after a day of standing at work.

www.superfeet.com, I think that is their website.

Regards,
    AF

7. g2k

g2k Guest

I tried one those Dr. Scholl's All-Purpose Work and Sport Insoles. There're extremely comfortable and lasted about couple months. I wouldn't recommand the foamy ones cause I tried them and they tend to slip, and only lasted about a week. Spend the extra money, it's worth it.

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I've been happy using Sorbathane insoles on several of my shoes, including the ASICS indoor court shoes I use for badminton.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yeah, i think after market replacement sole are worth it.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks all. i will try one out and let you know. meanwhile, i need to deal with that hole... erm.. i am sure you guys don't want to know all the details. :)

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Dr. Scholl's Advantage Sports.

got one of those insoles yesterday. quite expensive at US$13.. but the construction is nice, some fluffy top layer with rubberly/foamly lower layer and extra soft cushioning at various points. the whole thing is contoured and find that the fit is great for me.

i used it today in the gym. i didn't notice anything bad about them. they are just there and doing its job. and that's what it should do.

i was also looking at the Dr. Scholl's All Purpose and Sports insole that g2k suggested, but upon comparing that with the Advantage Sports, the AS has thinner padding on the heel, which is better for badminton, i believe.

try them out if your current insoles has become the "see through" type. :)

12. viver

viver Regular Member

Re: Dr. Scholl's Advantage Sports.

I'm wearing the Superfeet for a year and they are still good. I play only once a week so probably that's why they are still wearable. Before it I tried many other types (foamy type - 1 week; sorbothane - 2 months, etc). The Superfeet seems to suit me the best. I paid Cad 30 for a pair and it's worth it.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, almost two years later, my Dr. Scholl's Advantage Sport inner soles has been used in 3 pairs of shoes and the right side finally became "see through". a hole big enough to fit my thumb through developed and it got so uncomfortable i had to replace it.

the good thing is that the left side is still intact.

oh. also, the top cloth layer dis-integrated pretty early on. that part won't hold. but the rest of the inner-sole does hold a long time.

base on my experience with it, i do recommend this inner sole. quite comfortable and does its job.

and i think it is a US$13 well spent considering that it does last a very long time.

14. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Try Dr. Scholl's Gel massage cushioning. I felt it at the pharmacy and it felt real good.

The air cushion may wear out alot faster than gel ones do.

Yodums

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    considering how the AS disintegrated, i think Gel will disintegrate even faster.

also, the over-softness of Gel will not be good for badminton, i don't want my feet sliding around in my shoes, and i need to "feel the floor".

16. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmm, you mentioned it was 13 bucks for 2 years of soles! Your feet shouldn't be sliding around, especially with gel as it acts like rubber where it will keep your feet in place.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the gel sole is *much* softer than rubber. imagine walking on wobbling gello. and i am especiallly worried about lateral movement.

18. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

It isn't -that- thick to feel like jello! :D Have you tried feeling it? It is fairly thin.

Yodums

19. Pre-emptive

Pre-emptive Regular Member

I am using Sof Arch plus in my SHB-95. It gives good support but stain my socks red. I also tried Sorbothane Ultra Graphite Arch Insole but found it too slippery.

20. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    insole

When I buy shoes I buy a size bigger than normal then I place SOF Sports Insoles (blue color) in them. Then I will replace the stock insole and wear double socks. Im overweight and getting older =)

The SOF soles are the best I can find here in Manila