Mini hop versus full jump

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by r0adk1ll, Feb 27, 2006.

1. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    Hello!

I would just like your opinion on this:

I tried variations of executing smashes. I first tried the mini-hop smash, then next the full jump smash. Now here's my question:

Asides from the angle of the trajectory, which move is more powerful? I seem to see the bird fly at the same speed. I used the same arm motion, the same snapping of the wrist.

Any thoughts, feedback, violent reaction:D ?

Thanks!

2. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    well mini hop or full jump

yr body is up in the air and there is nothing extra to give you
    more power other then your own body's movements.
    So while in the air if you excute the same swing same move same speed
    it would only make sense that u deliver a smash of same power
    However, for full jump as you would imagine you have a better angle.
    your have a larger attackable range, and you can make your smash steeper landing closer to the service line. That makes your smash more threatherning other then making it more powerful. There is also the tradeoff for slower recoverly time. So its better if you can do either one depends on the situation.

3. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    Hop vs Full Jump

I do hop jump and full jump smahes accirding to the flight of the bird.If the bird is not high enough and it may pass behind my body I do not get time for full jump smash.If the return is a high cleear I move back to the bird and jump as high as I can and smash and it will often be a winner.I think it is beacause of the angle.Most of my full jump smashes land in the fore court.But when I execute full jump smashes I can't see the opponent's positions.Again it is not easy for me to plce the shuttle where I desired to land it.In short, it is a blind shot. But in the case of mini jumps I find it is not difficuilt to place the shot where I like.Still,my opponents often return the shuttle.

4. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    yeah its similar to my experience as well, mini hop's smashes is a bit flat compare with full jump and if your opponent has good reflex and defence with racket high its likely they can do a flat drive return making it a lot more difficult for me to keep on making aggressive shots without lifting. So if situation allows i usually perfer full jumps to force a bad return happen.
    Except.. making a couple full jump in a roll is rather exhausting. Afterall
    we ain't pro and can't really keep up the pressure non stop.

5. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    Yeah i can relate to that, usually on the third smash, my shot either goes wild or lacks power already (too much pressure!) Sometimes I use deception and make it appear im going for another smash, but then i just drop the bird at the net...Let them dive for the shot! :D

6. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    After the 2nd or 3rd full jump smash I feel fully exhausted and I too use deception.Sometimes I do a net drop by making a good jump and hitting with the tip of my racket or do a quick clear.Usually it works because my opponents are not on the balls of their feet after the 2nd or 3rd smash.