Drop weight - set tension vs. actual tension

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by jsunsun, Feb 28, 2006.

1. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I'm a beginner stringer, strung ~6 racquets so far with a drop weight machine with 4 fly clamps. I usually play with 25x27lbs. However, I find I need to set my machine to 29x32lbs to achieve the feel of a professionally strung 25x27lbs tension. Is this normal?

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) do a search on the forum.
    2) calibrate your machine and make sure it is acurate.
    3) leave the weight down for about 15~20 sec before you clamp the string.
    4) make sure your fly clamp can handle >25lb. some have problem with thin ti coated string.
    5) i often question the big sporting good store's stringer because they don't calibrate their machine for badminton.
    6) some shop string 1~2lb higher to counter the tension loss when they use crank or electric machine with break.

good luck

3. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

Thanks for reply!

1) sorry, I could find anything from search
    2) yeah, i should calibrate my machine, but reason why i bought a drop weight is cuz i'm cheap, thus hate to pay for a calibrator...
    3) thanks i'll try this, though i'm already starting to regret being cheap and buying a drop weight instead of crank or electric, cuz takes sooo much time to string a racquet!!! though after string 6 racquets, i'm down from 3.5hr to 1.5hr to string one racquet.
    4) yeah i think my clamp can handle 25lbs, I have 2 clamps that have adjustable clamping strength (so I've set it tight enough to handle my tensions), and 2 hiqua clamps.
    5) my regular stringer is very reputable and strings a lot more badminton than tennis. Though the same tension from him always felt higher than any other stringer I've tried.
    6) most shops use fixed clamps right? how much difference in tension loss when comparing fixed to fly clamps? I've tried 2 vs. 4 fly clamps as suggested in this forum, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

the time taken shouldn't all the fault of the drop-weight
    (unless it doesn't have a clutch)
    I have a drop-weight, and my first stringing attempts took ages.
    You need to get used to the process.
    I'm usually sub 40 minutes per racquet now (without rushing), and at least 2/3 of that is on the crosses. My weaving is still not so good.

it takes time and practise, but if you stick with it, you should get there.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    1) sorry, I could find anything from search

There are a lot of information in the stringing forum but information is everywhere in chunks or separate threads.

2) yeah, i should calibrate my machine, but reason why i bought a drop weight is cuz i'm cheap, thus hate to pay for a calibrator...

You need a digital fisherman scale.

3) thanks i'll try this, though i'm already starting to regret being cheap and buying a drop weight instead of crank or electric, cuz takes sooo much time to string a racquet!!! though after string 6 racquets, i'm down from 3.5hr to 1.5hr to string one racquet.

Drop weight is fine if you allow sufficient time for the string to settle. Stringing a racquet properly requires quite an amount of concentration, time and dedication.

4) yeah i think my clamp can handle 25lbs, I have 2 clamps that have adjustable clamping strength (so I've set it tight enough to handle my tensions), and 2 hiqua clamps.

Which adjustable floating clamps do you have? The ones from Laserfibre are very good. I think you need two more HiQua clamps for the cross.

5) my regular stringer is very reputable and strings a lot more badminton than tennis. Though the same tension from him always felt higher than any other stringer I've tried.

Your regular stringer probably has fixed clamps. For your next purchase, get the stringing machines with fixed clamps.

6) most shops use fixed clamps right? how much difference in tension loss when comparing fixed to fly clamps? I've tried 2 vs. 4 fly clamps as suggested in this forum, but that didn't seem to make much difference.

From what I read on the tennis forums, it really depends on the quality of the floating clamps and fixed clamps. Furthermore, fixed clamps tend to speed up the stringing process.

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I find a lot of time is spent on waiting for the string to settle :D. For the main string, it's like 10 to 15 seconds. For the crosses, it's like 15 to 20 seconds. For the cross strings that go through shared grommets, it takes even longer like 20 to 25 seconds. There is so much friction between the main & cross strings & grommet that it's almost impossible to get the most out of the reference tension.

Sorry, I forgot. Do you pre-weave the cross? Or do you do it after finishing the main?

#6 Pete LSD, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The benefit for drop weight is the consistency (unless the weight is badly damaged). The mark on the rod might be a bit off, but once u get the "feeling", u pretty much can get ur own "mark" w/o worrying about calibration.

For crank or electrical ones, u need to calibrate regularly, due to the spring/motor conditions.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I highly doubt any flying clamps can handle 30+lb without significant tension lost. You will be surprised how much tension will be lost, even if the string stretching length is just 2-3mm off the mark than it should be. Also, the "knotting" technique is already critical in tension lost. :rolleyes:

9. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I use the badminton fly clamps from silent partner. They can be tighten as much as to actually flatten the strings.

as suggested by the forum, I do have 2 additional hiqua clamps to help with the tension loss from using fly clamps.

10. silentheart

Which fly clamp do you use to clamp cross? When you clamp the cross is the center piece a lot narrower than between the 2 crosses? The reason I am asking this is because you actually pinch cross strings in. When you release the strings, it will lose some tension there. To avoid that, use the clamp that has center piece about the same width as the cross gap. I don't think I can come up any more suggestion.

Have fun!

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This is the reason, i suggest NOT to use the adjustable flying clamps. If you set it too tight, u will flatten the string, which can cause the damage to the string itself. If you set it too loose, u lose more tension. Therefore, it's harder to be consistent and right to the point of "good enough".

Personally, I am using Yonex flying clamps, which should be no problem if u do up to 25/26 lbs. Heard HQ clamps are just as good. :rolleyes:

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I pre-stretch the string before I start.
    Less time waiting for the string to settle.
    Everything 2-piece top down nowadays.
    1-piece is faster, but I prefer 2-piece with a starting knot at the top.
    I don't do any pre-weaving other than weaving 1 ahead as I do the crosses.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    there is one advantage of drop weight tho,
    u get paid for doing weight training and arms strengthing, hmmph, not fair. :mad:

14. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

But Cooler, with electronic machines, you get paid for pressing a few buttons

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The electronic machine is not going to string everything for you. The only advantage is the motor will pull tension with constant force (if you calibrate regularly). This machine is NOT a robot, which has arms and legs to do all the waving. ;)

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u r equating pay with minimal work( r u an union worker :confused: :p )
    i was equating of getting paid to having a stronger racket arm :D

17. silentheart

Hi Cooler, LB, BlueJeff and Sir DinkALot,

Are most of the drop weight machines desinged for right handed user? As far as I know the clutch (or tension mech) is facing the right handed user. Just a thought...

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Unfortunately, that is the case with all the drop-weight machines that I have seen so far.

19. silentheart

Hi Pete,

As far as I know most of electric string machine are also for right hander too.

One additional thing. If you go to a big name sporting good store for restring your badminton racquet. If you see a Prince tennis stringing machine, RUN out there ASAP! Reason, they are for tennis only w/ 2 pt support. Most likly the stringer is Prince certified and they only know how to string tennis racquet... Trust me from my experience, they (machine and stringer) broke my beloved Emrik Boron Graphite and it can not be replaced...

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, the Prince Neo 1000 is a fine machine. The stringer has to start the cross from the middle for another over 25 lbs.