what to think before a game in a tourny....

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by calfunz, Feb 28, 2006.

1. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    what should you be thinking before a game????for me in a tournament, if i have see opponent play before i will think oh this will be easy...but then getting overconfident leads to me not to play my best and just toy around wiht them and give them stupid points or give up my serve....for players who i see that are better then me i will try my best if i have seen them play....but for people who i have not seen but eveyone says there amazing it psyc's me out totally and my heart starts pounding and my body is shaking when i walk on the court and usually leads to me loosing.....due to not able to perform most well...but then after realizing if i wasnt so intimidated i probaboly would have done better.....is there something that you guys do before games in tournaments or what you think of or what is good to think of or what isnt good to think of i want to hear!

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i know lotta people thinks about foods

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

don't play with your emotions so much. think about strategy and what to do and not to do. don't get all psychd or nervous or sad or w/e. your emotions are under your control, control them. Your opponents skill is not. Making a plan though and strategizing and reminding yourself of little things like preloading jump, pace changes, relax....

relaxing is the most important mental aspect of probably anything. sports or otherwise.

4. .:eha

.:eha Regular Member

Unemployed
    What works best for me is not to think at all. :p
    Really. I'm just focusing to do my best, not to win. Even though that is my goal, I still dont focus on it. And when I am playing, I dont care about the score.
    You should just play the best you can, and just think about that.

And probably the most important of all, don't underestimate you opponent.

5. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    well i play doubles...and all the coaches say is just hit to those magic spots....and it werks so that is where most of my shots go...and drives to deep backhand....

6. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

yea, just forget about everything.
    sit back, relax, enjoy the show, listen to music, stuff like that.

about not worrying about the score, theres lots of times where i even forget the score in matches and rely on my partner to keep track of where we are :p

7. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    ic im a real big score freak and i yell the score everytime a point is scored and a new serve....

8. nanoliska

nanoliska Regular Member

automotive aprentice
    I find that before a match that music can calm or phsyc me up depends on how im feeliong but if you are nervouse play 1 point at a time.......and you should try avoiding the overconfidence i know this has happend to me a couple of times....

9. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i just relax and calm down:)

10. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    i always try to get myself pumped up b4 a match in a tournament and i was tell myself tat i m gonna win to give me confidence.

11. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    just remember that it is just a game. It is badminton, an awesome sport win or lose. :D

12. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I remind myself of the basics. Movement, footwork, variation, etc...

I think it's just a game, all that matters is I try my best, I'm out there to win, but if I lose, I'll go down playing my best, not just playing lethargically.

If I've heard someone is good, I remind myself I haven't played them, and that against Some players people can appear great, yet against others of the Same Skill they can appear poor because of weaknesses, play style, etc. So I tell myself, the Match has not been predetermined, no one has won yet, I don't know how good they are, and they don't know how good I am, the only way to tell that, is to play my best and see.

If you make mistakes don't think about them, just think, ok, I made a mistake but it's not the end of the world, but even if you're winning Don't get complacent, you Haven't won yet, don't keep thinking on and on about making a mistake you made or think about "what if I keep making the same mistake", that just makes it worse.

If you want to get psyched-up, listen to some music that gets you in that fighting-spirit mood, that makes you Want to win, and play it before going to a tournament, or while going to it etc., then just Think of that music when you're at the tournament.

Don't let yourself get angry at Anything. If you get bothered by anything like people saying a player is good, be sensible, recognise You haven't played this player, so You don't know, they could be terrible against You, or they could be better, and thinking they're something like "oh what if they're amazing" Won't help you, so put it aside, and play.

13. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    But still i don wanna dissapoint my coach who gave me so many chances in tournaments but usually if i lose i would put on a smile and shake my opponent's hand . Of coz when playing normal matches i wont be concern bout winning tat much as i take it as a chance to practice technique. hehe.

14. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    haha, i know what you mean. i dont want to let my coach down either as he is really friendly and actually seems to care about his students. i used to take all my games so seriously that i would literally break down if i lost. my coach told me not to sweat it, there are many other tournaments i will participate in during my life and since then ive been playing the best ive ever been. just remember that a true coach that cares about your progess will be there for you win or lose. :D