User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oggie
    Its a pity that "stronger players" look down on weaker players and says to himself "why this guy?, why me?". I've seen this many times. They (the stronger player) play half heartedly just for the fun of it. If that is the case, many newbies will be discourage to take up the sport because of snob "superior players". When I was a newbie, I got partnered once to a more experienced player and he was so frustrated and rude. I'd almost given up badminton knowing that the next time I play again, I will be partnered again with a "rude strong player".

All I can say is: if you know that you are the "superior player", take charge be the leader, communicate your strategies and the strategies being employed by your opponent with your weaker partner so that he/she will know what you intend to do, and he adjust accordingly. You may have to work a little harder like covering 2/3 of the court as an example, if you really intend to win.

peace
    when we play on sat for 4 hours straight. everyone is more accomodating for any partner they get. but when playing for only 2 hours on a weekday night. partnership becomes a problem cos if you get a lobsided partnership, the games ends very fast. them you will be sitting and waitign before you hardly break a sweat.

balance is more important. ie weak/strong vs weak strong pair. as least the strong one can cover the weak the and weak the other side and have slower returns so that the rally continues.

i know ppl who detest weak partners. co sthese ppl have family, work, and can only manage to squeeze out that 2 hours to play and they want good games. just recognise these ppl and dont partner them. unless they say they dont mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the same scenario.. I am always partnered with a weaker player. Fortunately, the people in our group are pretty keen to improve and win and thus will always play seriously... No matter what, they are out to win....

Some things i think which you should take in mind:

1) Dont pressure your partner too much... I do not want to pressure him into making more mistakes, and i dont want him to get discouraged. I always try to encourage him and make him more relaxed with me. I usually try something funny to get him to relax.

2) Point out his mistakes.... I always try to give my partner tips. ie. " your lobbing angle is not sharp enough" or "there is an open spare there", etc... Let him benefit from what you can see and what he can't.

3) Dont make him look weak.... Under no circumstances should u tell or show you partner that he is weak... If you are good, they will know it... Don't make him play the girl part like in mixed doubles. This only discourages him and is not beneficial to his improvement. These are people you are gonna partner with again, so be sure he is improving.

4) Cover for him but dont cover for him... You should always be ready to cover THAT drop that he cant get or shot he is too slow to react. But don't make it a habit so that he relies on you. Makes sure to tell him that was his shot.... If he moves for the shot, don't get it even if he cant really make it.... Let him try or at least know that was his....

5) Talk with him... After the game, you should always talk about the game. Try to hint what he has to improve and talk about the strategies employed. Let him know you are not mad about losing

Always support your partner They will support you back when they are capable of it... Hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of weird but sometimes I really wonder who the weaker partner might be, and I guess it might be me.

I guess it does get discouraging at times when you try to play harder but you just don't make it through to the end. Oh wells, time to try harder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joshww81
    It's kind of weird but sometimes I really wonder who the weaker partner might be, and I guess it might be me.

I guess it does get discouraging at times when you try to play harder but you just don't make it through to the end. Oh wells, time to try harder
    if you are the one they always hit the shuttle to...you are the weaker link!!!

actually most of the times i like to be the weaker link. not that i like being lousy. i play to excercise and to enjoy playing. being weaker means you are attacked more often and you get to play more!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny bit is we lose because we either a> fail to hit the shuttle across the net or b> there's an open gap somewhere.

Mmmm...maybe it's the partnership that's weak :P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny bit is we lose because we either a> fail to hit the shuttle across the net or b> there's an open gap somewhere.

Mmmm...maybe it's the partnership that's weak :P
    open gap would mean that most of the times one of you is out of position and the other have to cover. and when the other covers, there will be an open unless the other fella can return and know where to return to to cover.

if you constantly attacks and there is always an open in front of you after attack, then ask you partner to cover or dont smash i fyou wanna win, cos this shows you partner dunno what is going on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that this probably has to do with doubles tactics, but I noticed that the girls in my group at the club I play with tend to play the traditional defence mode all the time (ie they'd take one side all the time). As a result whenever I try to play into front-back, one part of the court is left open, and when the opponents play drop shots, no one's there to pick the shots.

So I tried to play defence mode with them, and it was slightly better. But because of the position, we weren't in a position to play an attacking shuttle, and because opponents just kept attacking coupled with our weak defence, we lost our games.

With the other guy, we'd play front-back most of the time, with little defence going on. So the play is rather lop-sided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that this probably has to do with doubles tactics, but I noticed that the girls in my group at the club I play with tend to play the traditional defence mode all the time (ie they'd take one side all the time). As a result whenever I try to play into front-back, one part of the court is left open, and when the opponents play drop shots, no one's there to pick the shots.

So I tried to play defence mode with them, and it was slightly better. But because of the position, we weren't in a position to play an attacking shuttle, and because opponents just kept attacking coupled with our weak defence, we lost our games.

With the other guy, we'd play front-back most of the time, with little defence going on. So the play is rather lop-sided.
    thats what i meant by the other player has no clue whats going on. better to just play half court singles. you smash make sure you are ready to go up and take the shot. if you play half court single tactic and they play double, then just enjoy the game like singles, if ball lands the other half, your partner must take then.

either you have to tell your partner whats wrong or just play for fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you partner a weaker player and somehow play your best to beat a stronger pair, the satisfaction derived is much more than usual. Improving your game is one thing, but if you play for fun, pairing with a weaker player can be very challenging and gratifying if you win.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's gratifying if the weaker player is not too weak comparing to the other three participants on the court. If s/he knows how to rotate, even better! For you as the better player, you'll have to keep most of your shots flat to minimise 'victimising' your partner. That would be challenging if they do hit it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by madman
    If you partner a weaker player and somehow play your best to beat a stronger pair, the satisfaction derived is much more than usual. Improving your game is one thing, but if you play for fun, pairing with a weaker player can be very challenging and gratifying if you win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the club I've played at, I was in probably the 40th percentile of players, so I had a lot of experience being the weaker partner. But then I started to get closer to their level, and I came back and played in my gym class, and the results were horrendous. Since I was the best besides the coach, and at that time I was close to surpassing her, but she paired me with a mentally challenged kid...that was one of the most challenging games I think I've ever played, because he was slow in every way, and not very coordinated either. About halfway through he developed his one shot, which was a kind of high clear that went from our halfcourt to just over the net, maybe 20 feet high, which of course set us up big time. Thankfully our opponents weren't too hot either and didn't always capitalize on that opportunity too well, and I could block or whatever. We ended up somehow beating them, haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok at the begining of the game tell them the only thing that matters is winning( then they will mostly stay out of your way). Then during the game put yourself in position to cover them on the shots you know they won't make. Communicate on the occasion that they get in your way, otherwise take about 75 percent of the shots letting them occasionally get an easy shot. This way they are still in the game, but you still have a chance at winning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default just for laugh

supporting a weaker partner?

more open gap in the court?

simple

u should use 2 racket instead of 1

there fore u cover more space

waahaahahahahaa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wedgewenis View Post
    playing with a weaker partner Can make you a better player....
    The club I'm playing at has weekly competition, each team is composed of 4 players from 4 different skill levels ( ie. level 1= strong, ... level 4 = weak), then all 4 players partner with each other in combination and compete with the same combination of the other teams. ie. 1 & 2 vs. 1 & 2; 1 & 3 vs 1 & 3 etc... Since I'm in the level 2 category, I get to partner with the one better than me and the one worse than me. What I found so far is that I won 90% of the times when I partner with level 1 or level 3 players, and lost 90% of the times with level 4 player. Although feel frustrated sometimes, I have to think it as an opotunity to improve myself when partnering with very weak players. I think if I can improve the 90% loss to 50% loss, I can probably be promoted to level 1 player...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st u must know whet is ur partner's strength, if he good in defend then play defensive game, if he good in netting, ask him to set for you and you execute smash. If He is good in smash, then you set for him (u become front player).

If he is weak in defend, then try to play slow game, make the shuttle low. If he only knows how to service, then he guard 1 corner you guard 3.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crappy Partners (no offence meant here btw)

1) Inconsistant: ie keeps hitting unforced errors, the net, out on the full etc... The worst noob you can be stuck with. Solution there really isnt anything you can do here since everytime they hit to your partner he or she will stuff it up. The best you can do is ask them to stand in the corner while you take over and go for everything including their shots, however the draw back to this is it can be taken quite badly. This is a skill problem - no quick fix so try not to get angry.

2) Weak shots: Cant clear properly, net shots too high, non-existant backhand but at least they go over the net? These guys usually have the same problem as 1) best thing you can do is play it mixed put them in front whenever possible, and tell them to focus on the either lifting or clearing (the distance close to the net means it will be easier for them to clear it deep or easier for the to go for the drop). You have to be clear with them with what you want, but try to focus on one thing. Ie tell them to always clear but make sure they they clear deep!.

3) Ass that wont listen. Arguably worse than 1 & 2 they suck, they got an attitude, and they want to play sides only. Honestly there is no arguing with these people. Play the game 'sides' and avoid partnering them in the future.

4) The solid guy. He's got the basics but he's nowhere near as good as you or the other guys. Have a plan, odds are he will have the ability to stick to it but just as importantly you have to be prepared to cover him. So stick close, this can make your side a bit more open but if he is unable to get to a shot in time or is wrong footed, odds are you will be able to cover him. If your singles footwork is good you should still be able to cover your side, abliet with more difficulty.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the time, I'll ask him/her to play at his/her best. There is nothing more to ask for and enjoy the game. In my experience, the better player tent to play worst trying to play strange shots and wasting more points than usual. So as a better player, compensate and try to make as less errors as possible. See it as a consistency training. And try different approaches. I was the weaker player in the past for other players. To vary in playing style, I learned also and improved in tactics. Changing tactics (even not logical ones) can sometimes give surprising results. Just stay out of frustration.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast