Supporting a Weak Partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by vip_m, Feb 28, 2006.

1. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    I don't have a regular partner and, because I'm one of the better players at my club, whenever there's a weak player in our doubles, he/she gets partnered with me. Unfortunately, I don't really know how to support a weaker partner. I usually trust my partner to know what to do and to do what needs to be done--so when I'm partnered with a weaker player, unless our opponents are really weak, my game goes down the tubes.

So my question is, anybody have tips on how to support a weaker partner? Should I always anticipate that they won't be able to get the shot and try to snag it from them (especially weak players who don't go after after drops)? I'm just worried that I'll run into them or I'll get hit by their racket.

Anyway, from experience, I shouldn't expect to win when partnered with a weaker player otherwise I'd get really frustrated--I just try to think of it as a learning experience.

#1 vip_m, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  2. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    First up: Patience. Don't pressure your partner. Sometimes throwing a fit or showing disgust when your partner misses a shot. Pressuring your weak partner will only make his/her game worse.

Second: Try to encourage your partner. Being the better player, its good to give them tips on how to improve their game.

Third: Let them have a feel of where they're more comfortable at. Some players are better at the back, some are better at the net, find out where he/she is more effective then compliment that using your skills.

Fourth: Cue them. If you notice that sometimes he/she tries to get a shot that's for you, you should try cueing them. By saying "mine" when its your shot, "yours" when its their shot, they will eventually know when its their turn and not get a shot intended for you.

Lastly: Compliment them. There's nothing like receiving compliment for a good shot coming from someone they know is better than them. :D

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How much do you want to win the game when partnered with a weaker player?

And how much does that other person want to win?

If you both want to win you can share advice.

If its just for fun, don't say much.

It also depends how open minded the other person is to advice. I think you have to be adaptable as well and know a bit more about the personalities you partner with.

In general, harsh advice doesn't go down well.

4. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    If you guys really wanted to win, i think you should setup most of the shots whereby the weaker player would play at the fore court and you at the back.

Mind you, most players feel insulted when told to play at the forecourt. :p

5. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Maybe just give him some polite rule of thumbs by sharing what you were told when you were a junior player;

1. When at back and he's able to return the bird, return far towards the other side
    2. When at net, aim high and don't try to drop.

Just communicate nicely.

6. jiayou

jiayou Regular Member

I always encourage my weak partner & always give complaint.
    And I still try to play serious, so my partner would be concentrate & serious also.

If he/she made mistake then I will tell him/her later after the really stop.
    So he/she can improve the skill & tactic. How to do drop, return & block the smash, netting , etc.

The most important patience & hope your partner arent annoying person LOL :D

Otherwise, I dont know what to do ehehhehehe.

Maybe can ask Li Yong Bo :D

7. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    Anyway, from experience, I shouldn't expect to win when partnered with a weaker player otherwise I'd get really frustrated--I just try to think of it as a learning experience.[/QUOTE]

Definitely right attitude from your side...:) :) or you can look at this as a challenge and see how well you can adjust to different partners (most likely not at your caliper of play :p ). Pay attention to his or her weak/ strong shots...if you are good, then you should be able to control the shuttle and protect your parnter and to allow them to exacute their strongest attacks!! ;) ;)

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Sink or swim as a team...

Definitely advice them regardless of how competitive the game is. I am sure most players relish the opportunity of playing with better partners. This would also be a good time to brush up on the communication part of a doubles partnership for both players. IMO, the worst thing to do is leave them to their own device. Support them by planning with them, expand their knowledge and tactical awareness, complimenting them when they did the right shots and encouraging them when they're down. A weaker partner can only get stronger playing with a better skilled group... at least improve defensively:D.

9. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    I'm one weak partner, sometimes and I hate it when my partner shows me all sorts of funny faces. but luckily most of the time i can ignore their faces and try to play better. please forgive us noobs, we all start out somewhere. :eek:

10. Andy Eh

Andy Eh Regular Member

I have a little problem aswell, my partner is a bit weaker but alot weaker when it comes to doubles, since he lives in the area I live and goes to the same school I play with him at first (grade 9) it was great he went to teh same club as me so we got to train there and at school. But then I started getting better and yet he stood still. Now we each play 4 times a week and are coached by people who have been aroun the game a long time, and still hes not getting better he even told off the coach(his dad) when he tried to give him tips. Now i am hoping to make ofsaa but it seems that cant be done since he refuses to get better and loses to kids who play once a month. I just dont get it and it really bothers me when Edith Hayman(Canadian coachomg hall of fame) told him something about his game and gave him tips to improve, and the next day at club he went right back to his old style.

Please tell me what you think I should do ive tried everything I could think of please give me other ideas on getting him to improve

11. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

hi vip_m,

if you are much better and experienced player like you said, play the weak player in front and you stay at mid/back court. since you have more experience and playing back row, call out who's shot. also, by asking your weaker partner to stay up, he/she can just lift the shot back and drop a net shot once a while to mix it up. yes, you will be playing 2/3 of the court. you need to labor for your win. i would not worry about the other person's feeling if i really want to win really bad.

12. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    You are both adults and capable to make own decision. :rolleyes: I would say to concentrate on your training and do not let him slow you down.:p Hopefully, he will wake up after noticing your improvement...cannot possibly get someone to change if one is not ready!! :eek:

13. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    when i partner with a much weaker player then i usually have 2 things to decide before the game.
    can that weaker player understand the basic offensive/defencsive position switching, as long as i believe that player can understand the basic position switching idea. i will try give him advice on how its done (if he doen'st know it already) and be happy and play my own game, just work harder and hope for the best. i believe any player other can butterfly catchers can understand such a simple concept.
    if that player is really one of those butterfly catcher, i'll just forget about
    winning and play a fun game instead. I'm sure any decent player won't be too mean to target all shots on a super weak player or take advantages on every shot the weak one makes. I'm sure they will still direct all the smashes at me and i'll still have good fun defending.

14. chessymonkey

chessymonkey Regular Member

comp tech
    yah and if he's really standing on the same ground while u keep improving
    soon enough yr coach will assign you a new partner. U can't possible make a good double team if one person doesnt put in the effort no matter skill lvl.
    There r some player that is uber in single and everything and simply sucks
    in doubles. U can't really change them so may as well let them be.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Players like that should just stick to singles. I can't emphasize how bad it is to partner with someone so oblivious to everybody else. Personally, this issue hit closer to home because I knew someone who got his eye taken out by an errant racquet. His partner backed up on a clear (it's not even within reach:eek: ) and wound up to smoke it only to backswing his racquet right into his head. Couldn't recall who told me but the loss of sight in that one eye was around 60%. He wasn't wearing glasses before but does now.

16. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Isn't it a requirement that Canadian juniors wear protective eye-wear? Is this one of the events that led to that being introduced? It sounds horrific

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

No, that man was playing a casual game with his buddies when it happened. They weren't the serious competitive types. Maybe that's what contributed to the accident since everybody was just chasing after the shot with no organised coordination. Surprisingly, the last time I saw him, he was still bringing his kids out to play at the local college gym. I thought he would have been traumatized by the loss of an eye and stayed away for good.

18. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

playing with a weaker partner Can make you a better player....

19. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    I guess depends on who I'll be partnered with

Right. Since I play with different people, I guess it depends if my partner, though weaker, would really like to win and is open to suggestions. If not, then I'll just not push him/her and just try to enjoy the game (although there'll be some opponents who'd wanna win at all cost, even if it means having a corny game where they target my weaker partner all throughout and never get a decent rally).

vip

20. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    lol partnering a weak partner can be really boring. sometimes when i partner an obviously weaker opponent i really don't seem to get to hit the bird at all. it's a dilemma because if u play back, you won't get to hit the bird but if you play front, the weaker partner usually don't play backcourt too well, so u end up snatching their balls. it can be frustrating when u create opportunities for the weaker partner but he simply blows it. so i think most imptly u must tell him where to stand