Discussion on racquets

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jason, Jun 13, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason Guest

<html>I have been playing badminton ever since I was 5, and thats like 18 years ago. I am good, but did not pursue a career in badminton eventhough it had crossed my mind. In Malaysia, a career in badminton pays reasonably well, only if you are one of the top shuttlers in the country. I chose to pursue a career in Computer Science instead. But continued playing the game semi competitively. Represented my school, college and currently playing for the company I work with in some local tournaments.<p>I just found this web site today and found it strange that most of the discussions are on RACQUETS!! Give me a wooden racquet, and I can almost assure you that I can beat those who have posted inquiries on badminton racquets in this forum. I am certain that good players will never fuss about which racquet is the "best" or whether which brand is more reliable...etc. Any decent racquet with good tensioned strings will do. Get a comfortable grip, and concentrate on the fine techniques of the game. When you don't play well dont blame it on the racquet, because more often than not, its the fault of the player not the racquet, unless its like bended to one side...<p>Have a good day.<br>
    </html>

2. Andre Lee

Andre Lee Guest

<html>: I have been playing badminton ever since I was 5, and thats like 18 years ago. I am good, but did not pursue a career in badminton eventhough it had crossed my mind. In Malaysia, a career in badminton pays reasonably well, only if you are one of the top shuttlers in the country. I chose to pursue a career in Computer Science instead. But continued playing the game semi competitively. Represented my school, college and currently playing for the company I work with in some local tournaments.<p>: I just found this web site today and found it strange that most of the discussions are on RACQUETS!! Give me a wooden racquet, and I can almost assure you that I can beat those who have posted inquiries on badminton racquets in this forum. I am certain that good players will never fuss about which racquet is the "best" or whether which brand is more reliable...etc. Any decent racquet with good tensioned strings will do. Get a comfortable grip, and concentrate on the fine techniques of the game. When you don't play well dont blame it on the racquet, because more often than not, its the fault of the player not the racquet, unless its like bended to one side...<p>: Have a good day.<p>I am actually quite an active player representing my school, a college champion and are now playing for my company.<p>Yes,i agreed with you Jason, a good string tension and comfortable grip, it is more than enough more already.<p>Racquet brand and composition is also important but it is only concern on profesional players.<p>Andre Lee (Malaysia)<p>
    </html>

3. SO

SO Guest

<html>Having a racquet is the starting point for playing badminton - if you don't have a racquet, you can't play.<br>So thats the first decision and given the variety of racquets, and price range, I am not so surprised that there's a lot of advice and discussion on racquets.<br>On whether the racquet matters or not, I agree with you, somewhat........<br>I am sure that given your standard, you can beat most other players but you have to compare like with like.<br>The question is - if you were playing a clone of yourself and one used a old wooden racquet and the other the most modern one, would there be a difference?<br>I think it would be hard to argue that there would not be eventhough the extent would be hard to quantify.<br>I am reminded of when Bjorn Borg attempted a comeback in tennis and initially used a wooden racquet when everyone else had progress to a metal/graphite/whatever one.<br>He was pretty much blown away!!<br>I would agree with you that an aspect of whether one has the "right" racquet is psychological.<br>But then thats part of the game as well - if you feel mentally good about yourself, including believing that you have the "right" racquet, then you would play better.<br>So in a long winded way, do I think it matters? Yes but not as much as its made out but then its part of having an interest in the game of badminton.<br>
    </html>

4. How's a good racquet like? (NM)

<html>: : I have been playing badminton ever since I was 5, and thats like 18 years ago. I am good, but did not pursue a career in badminton eventhough it had crossed my mind. In Malaysia, a career in badminton pays reasonably well, only if you are one of the top shuttlers in the country. I chose to pursue a career in Computer Science instead. But continued playing the game semi competitively. Represented my school, college and currently playing for the company I work with in some local tournaments.<p>: : I just found this web site today and found it strange that most of the discussions are on RACQUETS!! Give me a wooden racquet, and I can almost assure you that I can beat those who have posted inquiries on badminton racquets in this forum. I am certain that good players will never fuss about which racquet is the "best" or whether which brand is more reliable...etc. Any decent racquet with good tensioned strings will do. Get a comfortable grip, and concentrate on the fine techniques of the game. When you don't play well dont blame it on the racquet, because more often than not, its the fault of the player not the racquet, unless its like bended to one side...<p>: : Have a good day.<p>: I am actually quite an active player representing my school, a college champion and are now playing for my company.<p>: Yes,i agreed with you Jason, a good string tension and comfortable grip, it is more than enough more already.<p>: Racquet brand and composition is also important but it is only concern on profesional players.<p>: Andre Lee (Malaysia)<p>
    </html>

5. Patrick

Patrick Guest

<html><br>: I just found this web site today and found it strange that most of the discussions are on RACQUETS!! Give me a wooden racquet, and I can almost assure you that I can beat those who have posted inquiries on badminton racquets in this forum. I am certain that good players will never fuss about which racquet is the "best" or whether which brand is more reliable...etc. Any decent racquet with good tensioned strings will do. Get a comfortable grip, and concentrate on the fine techniques of the game. When you don't play well dont blame it on the racquet, because more often than not, its the fault of the player not the racquet, unless its like bended to one side...<p>In most respects I agree with you, even up to the wooden racquet part, but only because most of the players that posted queries sounded like beginners. But a racquet that does suit you is quite important too. I have a slender build, and am a wrist player, so I find racquets such as the Yonex Ti10, and ISO900SX totally unsuitable to me, and very difficult to use. It was nice to read that this was other people's experience before I had even tried them, let alone gone out and bought one. Basically all I care about when using a racquet is whether it's for a wrist, or an arm player.<p>That being said though, if you are a beginner, having a heavy racquet isn't such a bad thing, it helps to build up wrist muscles ;). At a beginner level don't blame the racquet, as you get better, let your style decide which racquet is better for you, there is no best racquet.<p><p>
    </html>

6. paul

paul Regular Member

manager of sporting goods company
    <html>: I have been playing badminton ever since I was 5, and thats like 18 years ago. I am good, but did not pursue a career in badminton eventhough it had crossed my mind. In Malaysia, a career in badminton pays reasonably well, only if you are one of the top shuttlers in the country. I chose to pursue a career in Computer Science instead. But continued playing the game semi competitively. Represented my school, college and currently playing for the company I work with in some local tournaments.<p>: I just found this web site today and found it strange that most of the discussions are on RACQUETS!! Give me a wooden racquet, and I can almost assure you that I can beat those who have posted inquiries on badminton racquets in this forum. I am certain that good players will never fuss about which racquet is the "best" or whether which brand is more reliable...etc. Any decent racquet with good tensioned strings will do. Get a comfortable grip, and concentrate on the fine techniques of the game. When you don't play well dont blame it on the racquet, because more often than not, its the fault of the player not the racquet, unless its like bended to one side...<p>: Have a good day.<p>Hi Jason<p>I often post messages about rackets - Cab-21 is my favourite. I pretty sure I could beat almost any pro if he was using a wooden racket (especially in doubles). I play in the same club as a ex-malaysian international ('96 team) and he seems to stick with certain rackets. Other top players I know also choose rackets that suit their style of play. I think when you reach a certain level then the choice of racket is quite important - even if it helps you win only one more point. I recently tried using a Yonex blacken, an all steel racket(top of the range over 20 years ago) and found it powerful but with massive vibration and much less control than a modern racket. <br>Fung Permadi and Yong Hok Kin were sponsered by Victor and Carlton but they continued to use disguised cab-20 - if the racket was not important why didn't they just switch to victor or carlton rackets ? (now Hok Kin has a racket made to his own specification because he obviously wasn't happy with what carton had in their range). <br>I do think though that the current Ti trend is just a gimmick<br>Jason were you a Malaysian state player ? I've beaten a few of those before - and anyway it's fun to talk about rackets !<p>
    </html>

7. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    i agree with you jason to a certain extent. Yeah, mostly the quality of your play depends on the player but you cant expect someone with an old wooden racket to beat some other guy thats using a really light graphite Yonex Aerotus unless hes really that good. There are the good points of new generation rackets.

Byro-Nenium (Singapore)

8. czeuthvskx

czeuthvskx New Member

none
    ...:)juzt like all the other sports, stuff matters, if not the most but, at minimal importance! yes, although the most roled is the player it also matters the raquet that the one uses in the game.