Grips Loosing Colour Onto My Hand And Give Me Callous

Discussion in 'Grip' started by calfunz, Mar 2, 2006.

1. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    as the title reads how to prevent? i think these rmb5 dollars are really worth it 5rmb.....gives me callous from one days play and looses colour onto my hand if i hadnt of washed it off at the gym i would have take picture to show u the side/front of my thumb is blue and my index finger is blue and i can see a calous build up on the palm side of the hand on the ppart where you finger joins hand near the side more and on the palm side thumb.....any recomendation to any grips???becuase i am afraid of put a new grip on because its the same kind it will do the same thing :(

2. lightsmash

lightsmash Regular Member

Target board
    u pay peanuts, u get monkeys.
    another alternative, use towel grips.

3. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    will towel grips reduce calous building?

4. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

what's wrong with having callous anyway? at least it makes yor hand not looks/feels like the ladies hand :p (I assume u r a male)

5. Hagane

Hagane Regular Member

Transport Consultant
    not necessarily.

The best way to prevent callous is not to do any hard work :p

Nah, seriously:
    The best way to prevent callous is to buy a good grip that suits your size.
    i.e. Get a racquet with the correct grip size and replace that grip, or apply an overgrip if that's what you prefer, but never exceed the size.

A good towel grip can help, but it varies from person to person, and from brands to brands.

I have two towel grips. One which comes from an unknown brand, large roll. It's quite rough, I get callouses everytime I play with this.

The other is Yonex towel grip. Very smooth, to the point that some have wondered how I can hold it properly. I can still get callouses. Just goes to show that it "may" help :p

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I get that alot using YY Supergrap (just one layer of overgrip over the wood). To prevent callus, wrap affected parts with short piece of tape (I use hockey tape). Not too tight or you'll cut off circulation to your fingers. Another way would be to enlarge your grip size gradually until you find the optimal size.

7. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    ic on my mp-99 i took of originial grip since it sux...well not sux not my style i shoulde say. and put on one layer of overgrip over the wood used that for a day then my hand turned green, well just my index and thumb since that part is mainly where u hold wiht all ur handgrip..then i go home and put another layer of overgrip a blue one and play again next day, does the same thing my hand turns blue this time and callous is building i can see....yeah i have used yonex towel grips before like 2 years ago until my brother took it off since it was his racket....but i remember it was good...i think but i dunno how it will feel now since i like the icky sticky gooey stuff well not really gooey but it gives a good feel to it....but i thot callouses hurt....like when they actually build up, and u liek werk more of the same part...

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Heh! That's what callus is! It's your body's response to repetitive usage in a particular area:D. After awhile it won't hurt as much.

9. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    If your callus gets big and it gets hard, you may consider putting a skin softener (optional), followed by filing or clipping it off.

#9 Matt, Mar 4, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  10. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    ic but it wont hurt? it hurts after my session of baddy tho liek that area

11. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    No Worries cause my skin peeled off at my thumb and it hurts big time but it heals in about a 3 days. But its kinda hard playing badminton without your tumb in the rite position when your skin peels off...

12. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    calfunz, I assume that is referring to me. If you file/cut it properly you're fine. I've gotten mine down by using a nail clipper just carefully getting off the excess skin.

I also done this method because my finger had one from writing (gotten too big) from the way I holding my pen/pencil.

13. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    oic mayb ill try the taping method lol tape my fingers ahha