grip size choice

Discussion in 'Grip' started by checkthemc, Mar 3, 2006.

1. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    I don't think this topic has been brought up before, but help would be appreciated here.

What would be the correct grip size choice? My hand is 8.5 inches if I stretch them out as far as they can reach (from pinky to thumb.) If my fingers are together, the widest point is approx 4.2 inches. From middle finger to the line accross my wrist is approx 7.5 inches.

Much help is appreciated.

2. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    i suggest u just choose 1 tat makes u feel comfortable with while playing.I used to use small grips coz i was used to it since i was 4 or 5 yrs old, i recently changed to a bigger grip becoz i wanted to try the new karakal tat i saw in a shop which was kinda thick. it was comfortable so i guess i will be using tat type of grip from now on.

hope this helps.

3. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    Well currently I use a G5 grip with 3 overgrips, and I think that perhaps is way too much. I understand a lot is preference, but perhaps 3 is a little too much?

4. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    My hand is small size (H<7.5"). I use G5 and G4 with one Yonex overgrip and feel very comfortable with both.

Your hand's size could be just out of small size and not big enough for a medium size. So, my best guess is a G4 with one overgrip and a G3 with no overgrip on.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    My suggestion is to get several racket with different grip size (i.e. visit a local gym / store, however, most Yonex US code rackets only have G4 available), and try urself. For the test, try to just have the original grip on, but not any "modified" version (i.e. with extra overgrip, with different replacement grip,etc). Once you feel comfortable with one of them, that's the size you should go for.

There's no universal answer for grip size, even if you provided the size of ur palm / finger. Everyone has different preference. ;)

6. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    hmmm my hands 7" (Smalll) and i have a G3 size and i think its fine. ( The only size i tried)

7. dnaxe

dnaxe Regular Member

As LazyBuddy said - it's almost entirely a matter of personal preference.

8. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

One additional point to LB's post. Many people think there is a general rule for grip size like tennis grip. However, I would like to point out, when you play tennis, you grip FIRM on the handle. In badminton, you try to keep your grip RELAXED during a play. Some players only use 3 fingers and thumb to hold racquet so they can switch grip in <0.1 sec. (just a guess) There is not too many grip size to choose from for Yonex. Just get a over grip or replace it with a thicker replacement grip.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

In my view, the correct grip size is the minimum thickness you require to keep the racket stable in your hand when smashing, without needing to clench uncomfortably.

If your hold is not (comfortably) secure during a smash, the racket will turn or wobble in your fingers and you will lose accuracy and power.

If your grip is unnecessarily large, then you will not be able to change grip as quickly, and you will find it difficult to use "finger power" in the forecourt and midcourt.

The way to determine this ideal grip size is to experiment.

10. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    For me, I would fine a size which fits your hand, then obtain a smaller size (to factor in overgrip to build up). Example would be myself, because I use G5/4.5 then put a single overgrip(overlapping to double layer) and works fine since it's fits my hand correctly and get the confort from the overgrip.

11. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

In my experience, a grip size which, when held in a RELAXED grip, allows your fingertips to within about 2-3mm of your palm is a good starting point. Some players I know have their fingertips JUST brushing their palms, and I have played with a similar sizing very comfortably.

My advice would be to build the handle up with cheap grips until it's the size you want it and then put a real quality overgrip (Karakal Peachy is the ONLY choice, IMO) on top.

12. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i usually just put 1 overgrip on any grip because i like my overgrips... :-D
    and i don't want to put too much because i want to be able to "feel" where my racquet is positioned.