Does running during practices help prevent cramping?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by george333, Mar 5, 2006.

1. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    Hi, This might have been posted before, so I apologize in advance. I have searched but the posts don't really pertain to my question. I was in a tournament yesterday at my highschool, and in between matches, I took a light jog inside the school, during going up and down the stairs, I suffered a cramp to my right calf. In the next match, it went down a little. After the match, I got it massaged. During the next match, I got a cramp to my left calf and then my left quadracep. One of the coaches said it was due to the lack of running during our practices that led to it. I need some input please!!!

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

cramps occur b/c of lack of salt, potassium, water. drink gatorade. also by increasing your level of fitness you will be less prone to cramps, this is the route your coach suggested. Drink gatorade an hour before playing if you are prone to cramps, or take a mutlivitamin each morning. I take centrum, eat bananas and drink lots of water and do not get cramps anymore.

3. calfunz

calfunz Regular Member

student
    stretch bfore play????and tons of water

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Your coach maybe talking about the need to introduce alternate endurance training to your team program. Running may benefit singles players but not as much for doubles players.