Karakal SL70 (2005 ed.) Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by dnaxe, Mar 6, 2006.

1. dnaxe

dnaxe Regular Member

So - I just got a karakal SL70 (2005 ed. ) This is a 70g unstrung racket made using magnesium-graphite. It's supposed to be a stiff, head heavy racket. Compared to the previous karakal SL70, it has new "muscle tec" (see http://www.karakal.com/products/badminton_products.html?cat=Racket)

[caveat: I'm using the stock strings for the moment, karakal pulse 70 at an estimated 18lbs.]

I'm moving from a wilson n85, and the increased stiffness (and relative slight head-heaviness) improved my smash tremendously, to the extent that it's not returnable (at the moment) by my usual opponent.

Power has also increased, baseline-to-baseline shots are more effortless (although my technique is still not quite there, so it's not actually effortless)

I expect it to get better as I get more used to the racket.

Strangely, one of the two I got was much (20%) better, probably something to do with stringing....

All in all, I'm a happy bunny. I'm only playing again next saturday, i shall update this post then.

Oh! and the racket doesn't "feel" light. A 3u MP99, a 3U MP30 and even a 2U Ti-5 felt lighter, even when held upright by the handle. It was definitely more manouverable though (than the n85) *shrug* I've realised that perhaps I should compare them holding upside down, I will try that next saturday.

My friend who uses an MP99 preferred the karakal and wants to get one! but I suspect his main problem is that his racket is strung too tightly for his own good.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

say, could you tell me how much that costs in singapore and where you got it from?

3. dnaxe

dnaxe Regular Member

I got it from the official distributor. (see www.karakal.com)

but they don't usually bring it in, perhaps mail them? :D

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow, it's 70 pounds here in UK. My AT700 from Thailand was only 45 pounds ...