Health scare of my life: Junk food kills...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cappy75, Mar 6, 2006.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I experienced two major incidents that put the 'Fear of God' in me recently. They kinda shocked me as I have never come across them personally but only via the media and discussion with friends.

First, my 24-year old brother having to undergo emergency procedures and the subsequent bi-monthly dialysis sessions after a two week binge of fast food (McDees, A&W, etc), ready-to-eat TV dinners and irregular snacking. He didn't have a healthy routine from the beginning. A total gamer and no exercise whatsoever.

Second, death of my best friend's younger cousin who was apparently at the peak of his health. He worked as a magazine model and played soccer regularly. Cause of death: plaques hardening in the major valve that pump blood into his heart resulting in cardiac arrest. He complained of chest pain several weeks before his death. Seems that despite his healthy lifestyle, he wasn't very careful with his dietary intake.

My question is this: Is there any way to get rid of those artery hardening plaque? Regular exercise didn't seem to work as it merely displace the plaque and moved them further into the heart where eventually they'll clog up the flow of oxygen and blood.

As for myself, those events led to my resolve to try to wean myself off McDees (and other fast food chains) for good. But is it enough?

#1 cappy75, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Go to a dietician and have a rough plan of what to eat each week.

I always eat healthy everyday. No junk food, balanced diets lots of vegies and lots of water!!!

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I seen an article about a drug that reduced the size of the plaque. They had to use some pretty neat technology to measure the size of the plaque. However, the problems with that study is that it only told us the size of the plaque. That doesn't necessarily equate to less chance of a heart attack (though intuitively it might do).

The article came in a very reputable medical journal abut 2 years ago.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Depend, the cure might be worse than the disease. Go see a real doctore, get regular check up. This might not be the best place to ask for medical advice.

5. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

alcohol is prescribed by some cardiologists. the alcohol can help remove the fatty buildups in arterial passages. Moderation is the key though. however nothing can beat long term prevention by staying in good shape, not smoking (smoking hardens arteries making them more suceptible to bursting and plaque), and eating healthy foods.

6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Surgery gets rid of the plaque :p

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Actually, I was hoping to get a good discussion going because the underlying question would be: can exercise alone keep you healthy? What else can one do besides the 'magic bullet' (surgery:rolleyes: ) to correct years of fast food diet?

There's no way I would seriously consider advice on personal health issues on the net. This thread would serve fellow BF'ers well by reminding them that there are other factors involved in their well-being beside baddy.

#7 cappy75, Mar 6, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  8. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Balancing your diet again?? Like seriously eating good food. Low sodium low fat high fibre food?

9. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

1st of all, there is nothing wrong with fast food. some of them are pretty decent once in a while.. key word: once in a while.

exercise does help. suggestion is min 30 minutes a day. But, if u play badminton twice and sweat a lot and u think that's enough, that maybe not true. sweat is merely a way of your body to cool itself, not an indication of work. u can sweat while u'r sleeping, but does your body do anywork? not at all.

for the plaque, get your doctor to do blood work. check for your cholesterol level. plaque is caused by fats and cholesterol build up in the blood vessel. If it is to high, and your doc suggest some prescription like lipitor, etc etc, I suggest u kinda delay till the next visit, change your diet drastically, and actually stick with it then see if your cholesterol level back to where it should be. My parents took lipitor and they say once u took the drug there is no turn back (although I still don't get it, but I see expensive cost over there. I guess your body become unable to get rid the bad stuff by itself). If diet alone doesn't work then go with the prescription.

another one is that high cholesterol is genetic. if most of your family have it, then there is a high chance that u ahve it too. same with kidney stone. My family have a history of high cholesterol, so my parents has been teaching that since I was little.

best diet is to avoid fatty food. and you should read the label before buying any food. canned food is worse than fast food. they're awaful in term of sugar, salt and cholesterol. the yhave high percentage of almost everything.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Besides what others have already said. I would like to add green tea - fresh tea is the best but it is not practical. Family support and care will do wonders :), plus friends ;). Perhaps, one small glass of red wine per day will help :confused:.

11. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Food fact : Beer is given to cattle to fatten them.

12. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    i think its a little bit of everything u guys said, we always hear it alot, you know; exercise and diet but sometimes we really cant predict the outcome. i know guys who lives a healthy lifestyle but die in an instant, i know people who have been drinking since 15, smoking since 17 but their still living. there are many factors like its in your genes, u ate alot of fatty foods, sweets, etc. so i guess you should have your blood check, see whats wrong, go to the doctor ask for any advice, eat healthy, eat lots of fruits, vegetable, lean meat, but it doesnt mean you cant spoil yourself from time to time, moderation on everything, and of course do exercise, play baddy alot.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Actually I came across an article touting vitamin C as a natural remedy for those heart-blocking plaques. Load up on vitamin C pills and OJ:p!