need tips for mix double

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hystephen, Mar 6, 2006.

1. hystephen

hystephen Regular Member

student
    hello, i got a partner tat ply badminton for 3 weeks. Im in the team JK and she, my partner want to be on the back, how can i train to be on the front.......

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) What is JK?
    2) Usually the better player plays in the back.
    3) To trend to play in front, stand in front of the net, practice driving the shuttle at heat height and do drill on net drop shot. Practice high clear from front court.

3. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    usually, in the traditional mix doubles, the guy stays at the back ( unless the girl and the guy are equal leveled, which in that case, they can choose to play regular doubles. )

4. hystephen

hystephen Regular Member

student
    srry, its JV, my mistake

5. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

So what does "JV" stand for?

6. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    Probably Junior Varsity - more specificly, what are the issues you seem to be having with your mixed partner?

7. hystephen

hystephen Regular Member

student
    yeh, its Junior varsity, the reason tat i choose mix doubles, b/c in singles, i get tired easily, so i stick wit doubles, however my partner is newb and she ok, and she is not good at the front, so i goin to train her to be in the front, so i can be in the back.......other problem is where i cant see where the birdie is goin to hit.....i mean i wear glasses durin the game, but i tried to c the players where he goin to spike, but i cant see. I could move around to see my luck to find where the birdie is goin to hit, but i dont knoe......all i need is to practice, but is hitting the wall part of it?????

8. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Isn't mix doubles actually more tiring (for the person in the back) than singles though? :confused:

9. hystephen

hystephen Regular Member

student
    to tinkerbella122, yeh, its is

10. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

ever use contact lenses? they're better than glasses.

singles are more tiring imo compare to play in the back in double

11. |R|S

|R|S Regular Member

Student
    no point debating which is the more tiring of the two

so basically you cant see where the shuttle is going? go check your glasses dude! no excuse for not being able to see the shuttle because your partner/opponent's partner is too big! mia audina plays double and her partner is fine... how about jen eriksen? he is huge!

12. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

or another suggestion may be, not to stand so close to your partner...

13. SmashAtYourFace

SmashAtYourFace Regular Member

hey stephen, did u play mixed double #3?
    i think i played you guys....

14. SmashDemon

SmashDemon New Member

i play mixed doubles and both me and my partner are of decent skill level...usually, she likes traditional guy in back, girl in front, but we've found that sometimes, doubles side-to-side style can also be effective...but usually, under all circumstances, traditional mixed style is the best way to go.

15. hystephen

hystephen Regular Member

student
    yeh.....u did......wat a surprise....tis is my first yr plyin badminton.......

16. tubby

tubby Regular Member

Front and back for attack - side by side for defence. Otherwise you will play a decent team who will smash to the sides and you wont be able to guess which way!

17. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I find that tubby's explanation is the main guideline. With ammendments...

-If you lift the bird, go side by side, because you should be expecting the possibility of the opponent smashing on you

-If you are hitting the bird downwards, with drops, smashes, successful pushes, etc, then go front and back, as you are on the offensive and want to maintain it.

-If you are side by side and are switching to front and back, if it's equal opportunity for either of you to go front or back, the physically stronger player should prefer to go in the back.

-A lot of players do now want to play the net because they feel it is boring and they feel they're not doing anything to contribute to the game. Make sure your partner at the net knows just what she's contributing to-- it's all about perspective. If she's not getting much action at the net, it's because the opponent doesn't feel that it's safe to exploit. That means she's putting on good pressure and covering her territory well, for example.

-Some players feel the net is dangerous... that's just gonna take some practice with how to effectively use the net to shield you if you get smashed on. As long as the netplayer keeps his/her knees bent and is aware of going on, it's not significantly more dangerous than the back, in my opinion. If anything, actually, I tell my MXD net player that staying at the net is a protection tactic too... I mean, normally in MXD, you exploit the physically weaker player, because they are less likely to make strong returns. By placing them at the net it is not only increasing their deffensibility, but maintaining their offensive effectiveness. (OF COURSE, I'm not saying that if the opponent is smashing that everyone should hide behind the net to not get hit... if your opponent is smashing, you two should be side by side to cover as much surface area as possible. I'm not talking about tactical safety though, i mean people actually getting hit by the bird-- if you have a net to sheild you you're safer than being out in the open lol)

-Above all... if you are going to play the backman job, make sure you do it right! It's fine to say that your partner is not as experienced as you, but no matter how new or experienced the net person, they will get slaughtered if the backman feeds too many lifts.

#17 Jinryu, Apr 21, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  18. tubby

tubby Regular Member

Jinryu is right. Have a look at Jake Downey's book about doubles or some of the training videos that you can dowload from emule. They go even further than Jinryu in explaining strategies for MXD.

One other thing to mention. I play MXD doubles a lot in my club and some partners you play well with and others you dont - no matter how good both players are. As you play more you will soon find that you play better with certain type of players. Unfortunately I havent yet found a logic for this as there are too many variables - ego, ability, footwork, bravery (especially at the net).

19. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    The Jake Downey book... how could I forget that?:rolleyes:

I printed it out (it's available for free on his website). It's about half the size of a phone book, and is pretty comprehensive-- not much about technique in particular, but deals a lot with teamwork and tactics.