temperature and string life

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Akirika, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Akirika

Akirika Regular Member

i live in canada, a damn cold place in march. however march is when badminton season starts. i was wondering if the cold climate would make my strings shrink thus increase their tension. or would the temp make the strings brittle and break easily. because outside its cold, in the gym its warm. does this change in temp harm the racket/string at all.

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

hmm, doesnt seem to be harming my strings, and i've been in -25 degrees for 30 mins or more. and yes, your string tension increases in colder teamperatures but it should be fine, as long as its not strung at 35lbs :cool:

3. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I don't think that really matters the outside temp because you do not play outdoor, I hope. I broke my string one night after two hits due to no warm up of my racquets before hand. I jumped right into a game and just got my racquets out from a cold car. After that I was extremely cautious when I get my racquets out from a cold car. Other than that if you let the racquets and strings warm up for a good 5-10 min you should be ok.

4. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

as long as you stored your racket in room temperature then it should be fine. A very short distance, say travelling from your car to a in door building shouldn't harm either.

5. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

From my experience with both badminton and tennis stringing, extreme cold weather (40c) will make string soft and lose tension. I would say, do not leave your racquet inside of your car w/o temp control over 30min. I grow up in central Cal and the summer temp average 40c and the temp inside a car can be more than 60c under sun. I had tennis string snap inside my car. Now I live in midwest, the temp can be very cold during winter. (I know CAN is colder) I seeing a lot of string breakage in our club latly because of cold weather. Anyway, these are just my experience...

6. fpixi

fpixi Regular Member

Highschool
    all ways remember to warm up your string no matter what. just do it with your hands, rubbing on the string fore about 10 secs... that works for me..

7. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

Temp effect on strings

This past winter, the hall we use had problems with hits heating so we were playing in near freezing temperatures for months! I noticed guys heating up their strings with their hands before the game.

Thin strings especially like the BG66 sound different too, at least to my ears, they sound crisper, as if the low temp is making them less elastic. They break quicker too, maybe they're more brittle.