Questions on Clearing

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by XKazeCloudX, Mar 7, 2006.

1. XKazeCloudX

XKazeCloudX Regular Member

Student
    Hey. everybody, im from california 15, 5'7'' , and is varsity #2 in highschool as a freshmen. I have only played badminton for a week or two and i think because of my athletic ability and good footwork from football that made me up so high, because at first i have no idea what you do in badminton :p and I will probably sound a little noobish lol..awrite so..first i understand hip rotation arm extension hitting it 11 o clock ahead of you will do for a clear right? and snaping your wrist will too?...but is "pronation" another word for the snaping of that wrist? I would also be very happy if somebody can tell me how to clear it more straighter, ive seen some ppl called dat attack clear?

2. Woofsta

Woofsta Regular Member

Student
    Well an attacking clear is when you clear but goes flatter and faster almost like a drive =]

3. XKazeCloudX

Student
    thanks but how about my other questions? can anybody share some tips with me?

4. Shinto

Shinto Regular Member

forearm pronation is when you turn the racket head. So when clearing you swing the edge of the racket toward the birdie and then quickly turn the racket face toward the birdie. The wrist snap is like sorta not a very great word to use... cause it sort of combines the wrist movement with the pronation. I think that's right. Correct me if i'm wrong someone. You should do a search for pronation cause there's threads about it.

Btw i'm a high schooler too :) and just started too. 3 months so longer than you but i'm actually also working on clears altho for backhand... can only get baseline to mid-court or a little farther than that.

#4 Shinto, Mar 7, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  5. XKazeCloudX

Student
    uhm..hmm...i dont really understand what "wing the edge of the racket toward the birdie and then quickly turn the racket face toward the birdie" mean..sorry lol...tell exactly how that works

6. Shinto

Shinto Regular Member

so when you swing it looks like you are going to hit it with your racket edge (so the racket face is not pointed toward the birdie). Then you turn your arm quickly and "snap your wrist" (bad word choice). The snapping is when you turn your racket face toward the birdie and then "the snap motion" If you don't know what i'm talking about still and no one on the badminton team knows pronation. Go find a tennis player and ask them to show you their flat serve. If they have good form, that's pretty close the overhead motion... although you're trying to hit up instead of down. I used to play tennis and my coach taught me good form so I naturally pronated. (P.S. i'm not that experienced so I may be wrong but that's how pronation was explained to me. and TRY searching the forums for pronation)

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As others have mentioned, forearm pronation is the main way to get power.

It's like throwing the racket at the shuttle -- the same way you would throw a ball, except obviously you keep hold of the racket :D

8. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    There are two types of forearm movement: pronation and supination

Pronation is, as others have said, a rotation of the forearm in an anti-clockwise direction (assuming you are looking down your arm with your wrist held out.

Supination is an clockwise rotation (assuming you are looking down your arm as above).

do a search for both terms and you should get some good threads

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sometimes, it's just hard to explain a stroke by word, as everyone might use his/her own term.

Maybe get some training VCDs to see how exactly you need to excute this stroke (and other types), and some of them even give u tips on what type of drills you should go with the learning progress. Another way to learn is to consult with fellow players or coaches. However, such attempt might back fire, as a so-call "better" player (especially if the overall standard is low) might just give you the wrong information, as him/her simply win the match with better physical condition, rather than correct technique. A reputable / certified coach might be a better approach.