Which up and coming players would you like to get to know better?

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2006 Badminton' started by adelina76, Mar 10, 2006.

1. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Hi Everyone,

I need your input and help on this. As you know, I will be covering the Commonwealth Games badminton event for IBF. I've been asked by IBF to conduct an interview daily during the event on up and coming players from the Commonwealth countries (so think Malaysia, England, Canada, Singapore, NZ, Australia and other former British Colonies).

So, this is your chance to have your say. Who would you most like to see being interviewed. Also, what kind of questions you guys would like the answers for? (For those Tania Luiz lovers/stalkers/fans, please note, I will not ask her for you if she would marry you, so please refrain!)

Just remember, not seasoned players, but up and coming! I'll compile your answers and hunt down your favourite players and interview them with YOUR questions! Look forward to hearing from you guys soon!

Adelina

2. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    dnt know bout questions will think bout tht one but players lets c...

LCW?hehe
    Koo kien keat mayb?
    Oh yea and Foong Meng cheah from Aus...coz i know her haha...
    John Moody mayb?coz he's young
    Rebecca Bellingham would be Ok but shes not "up and coming" lol
    Kendrick Lee spore?dunno if he'll be good but he's young too...
    Nathan and gail?after all they'll be the biggest stars in the games(the only world no. 1)...btw i saw them training yesterday hehe...

Btw...will ur interview be on tv?or just as a report on the ibf site?

3. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Unfortunately, I haven't graduated to doing live interviews on TV yet :p Maybe soon with all BC'ers' support maybe?!! I'm doing written articles that will be published on the IBF website.

4. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Hi adelina76,

If possible, can you please do an interview with Tammy Sun of Canada?

It would be great if you can ask her the following questions:

1. At such a young age, are you training professional full time nowadays? How do you juggle between badminton training and going to school? How supportive are your parents' decision for you to dedicate so much time towards badminton?

2. You have won so many National titles playing mixed doubles with William Milroy, but haven't yet won an international title. There were a few ocassions where you came close of winning. I'm trying to think off the top off my head (sorry if my facts are incorrect). I think once, you lost to your Canadian Teamates Phil/Helen in either the semi's or finals, and once, you lost to Mike/Jody (or is it Mike/Valerie?) in the finals. How's it different psychologically playing them in International tournaments as opposed to National Tournaments? Is there any additional pressure? If so, do you think experience will help you overcome that pressure?

3. You currently play doubles with Lindsay Smith. How's playing doubles with her different from playing doubles when Denyse Julien was your partner?

4. You and William have been dominating the mixed doubles national competition for the past few years. How much of your success do you give credit to Brent Olynyk, your former mixed doubles partner before William Milroy? Was Brent's mentorship very valuable to your success?

5. Combing questions 3 and 4 together, how would your playing style and strategy be different had it not been from your experience of partnering with Denyse and Brent?

5. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Whoa...

Hey Edwin,

Thanks first of all for taking time to post the questions. Except for questions 1 and 2, I am not sure the rest would be suitable as it's getting a bit too 'detailed' in the sense that other than Candian supporters who know all the players you were referring to, the rest of us wouldn't have a clue and since the article will be posted on the IBF website, those questions may a be a bit too "local" if you know what I mean. However, I will ask the other questions for you. Keep an eye out for her answers.

A

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    How's your Madarin, Adelina?

If you're ok with it (or with some help), maybe you can pose some questions to the Singapore China lady imports, particularly Xing Aiying and last Games WS gold medalist, Li Li, versatile Jiang Yanmei and her WD partner Li Yujia . Btw, some of them do understand some English, I hope, since they have been exposed to the language. Questions like how they are settling in multi-racial Singapore. their goals and amibitions, their hopes and fears, what sort of training they are receiving and do they find it tough going.

And of course, Ronald Susilo should also be another interesting subject since he is now recovering from his Achilles tendon rupture during the last WC. Does he still have the ambition to beat Lin Dan again, as he did during the first round of the Athens Olympics? :)

7. edwin

edwin Regular Member

Computer Programmer
    Hi Adelina76,

I'll give a bit more background information so that questions 3 to 5 will make more sense to badminton fans all over the world. :)

Back in 2002, Tammy Sun was about 16 years old. That year, she played doubles with Denyse Julien (the legendary Canadian player who is still winning National Titles eventhough she is in her 40's) both during the Uber Cup and in National competitions. She also played mixed doubles with Brent Olynyk, a 2000 Canadian Olympian who is one of the best Mixed doubles and Doubles player in Canada at that time (Brent has been playing mixed doubles with Robbyn Hermitage for years. They decide to split up that year and partner up with younger players so that younger players will gain more experience by playing with them).

I can summarize questions 3 to 5 by asking, "When you've spent a year playing with much more experienced players as your partners, how much did you learn from them? Do you give them a lot of credit for your current success? If you have spent that year playing with players who is about your age and whose playing experience is similar to yours, how would your current level of play be different?"

Hopefully, with this background information, you would be able to rephrase questions 3 to 5 in such a way that badminton fans all over the world can understand what I'm asking :). Thanks Adelina76.