Half court King for singles, but not full court Singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Chung_L_Lee, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Chung_L_Lee

Chung_L_Lee Regular Member

Hello, I would like to take everyone and Pros' opinion out there about my Singles game.

I tend to win much easier in Half Court Singles. Even when I play with the National Coaches and Players. In some ways, I feel they're kinda weak technically in many of their returns.

However, when we play Full Court Singles, then it is a different story. Before I could lose a big time (provided that I beat them easily in Half court, not Full court).

So now I found out that I'm lack of the technique to hit my shots virtually everywhere with ease in the tiny rotation of my wrist to adjust the direction of the shuttle during the point of impact. So I corrected, and my Full Court Singles game improved quite a lot.

Here comes my questions:
    1) Even though I improved, I still find difficult to defend smashes in full court, not in half court, and I do know that because it is due to the court is twice smaller. So, I'm looking for more technical/theortical answers that I might misout and need to work on.

2) Or am I not playing full court single the proper way? Given that I'm seemingly quite unbeatable in half court. haha, no offense to Pros out there. I'm just want to get to my point in contrast.

3) If I can't change my game, will there any tips of playing styles that I can incorporate my half court single games into Full court singles game, since I'm much stronger in half court. (eg. Keeping all the shots down the centre line? Not necessary right)

Thank you very much, guys. I'm looking for your feedback and expert tips, and I do play somewhat competitively in about Provincially Ontario B or C level.

2. tubby

tubby Regular Member

Returning smashes in full court singles can be helped by getting into the right position to defend. If you have hit the shuttle high into a corner then you need to take a stance favouring that side ( the side the shuttle is) as a straight smash will come back marginally quicker than a cross court smash (less time in the air).

Other than that i would suggest that if you are king of half-court singles then you footwork and fitness should be pretty good as the rallies tend to be longer and consist of lots of clears and drops. However you might not be using the full extent of the court when you transfer to full court singles and if your opponents are pushing you into corners and you are not doing the same to them then you will suffer.

3. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    I think half-court singles is great for testing clears, drops and smashes as tubby says. It is dangerous though as it does nothing to improve your crosscourt shots or replies. I think also pushes and drives may suffer as well as any mid-court shots. The result is that it makes you think in a linear way (you can get used to just going forward and backward and not sideways). Next time you play full-court singles keep a mental note of the winning shots played against you.

You've obviously got a good foundation if you are winning half-court games though.

4. Chung_L_Lee

In that case, a good cross-court will kill me

First of all, I really appreciate your kindness of helping me out. In the case of hitting a shuttle high into opponent's corners and take a stance (half-step) nearer that side would put me out of position to take a good hit cross-court smash (similiar to Lin-Dan's #1 weapon in single). So, is it normal? Or I shouldn't be struggle to handle a cross court-smash from a stance half-step away from the centre base?

5. Chung_L_Lee

Exactly as I Experience.

Thank you for your reply! Really appreciated! =) Exactly, as you said, I find that I'm slower in moving side-ways, and much faster front & back, but it might have to do with my preparation stance by putting my racquet foot in front of me (not both feet parallel). However if I try both feet parallel as the preparation stance, then I'll be slower moving front & back, but it will faster in moving side ways.

All in All, it seems that I have problem to positioning myself in full-court when receiving a good smash hitting from corners. I tend to be easy out of reach. Either I'm in reach for a straight smash down-the line, or in reach for a cross-court smash, but never in reach for both (my positioning seem to be wrong). Anyhow, I do know, stand a half-step close to the side of where the smash is hit. So, what's wrong?

Help! I'm 5'6, good leg power, and I suspect improve my reflex & reaction & agility are the key!?!?

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Try these things:

1. As Tubby says, stand slightly to the side where you have lifted the shuttle that should enable you to get to smashes hit down the line.

2. Bounce on your toes just before the smash is hit, it may be that are standing flat-footed which will slow your reactions slightly

3. Hit some clears to the middle of the backcourt, this will give your opponent less of an angle for his smash

7. tubby

tubby Regular Member

There is a training video on www.ibbs.tv that talks about this footwork. Essentially it says that instead of the normal 50/50 split for a shuttle hit high in the middle, a shuttle hit high to a corner you need to favour the side it has been hit to with a 60/40 split. However mentally you need to be thinking that it wont come straight at you and it will be hit cross court or an attacking clear.

This probably sounds really strange, but the idea behind this is if you are physically nearer the shuttle when it hit straight you should be able to get it easily. However if it is hit cross court (or somewhere else) you are slightly further away physically, but because you are almost expecting it to be hit elsewhere you react to it quicker.

If that makes no sense then have a look at the site and download the video.

8. Jackalan

Jackalan Regular Member

maybe you are always putting the same foot forward in your stance, which you can get away with in half court singles but not in full court where different corners need to be covered. that was my main problem when i was in a similar situation x