Newbie seeking guidance

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rp_badder, Mar 13, 2006.

1. rp_badder

rp_badder New Member

I'm basically starting badminton from scratch, and I have lot of questions concerning different areas of the game. I would be very grateful for a respectable source to help me.

I joined a club recently and I know two great and helpful players from the club, one of them a past tournament player in Scotland. One of the drills I've been doing is the "4-corner drill" I was taught.

Here's a basic overview of my skills thus far: My speed, in general, sticks out as a strength IMHO, and I can hit powerful shots. I know and use the forehand grip and backhand grip. I know that in the ready stance you should have your knees bent, you should have a center of gravity, lean forward slightly, and the racquet up and ready. I was also taught how to do the backhand drive :confused: serve, I think it's referred to, and I am training that.

Right now, I am not concerned with my fitness because before I even learned the strokes and all, I did fitness training such as free squats, stamina and explosive running, weights, etc. to prepare, and I try to continue to train fitness on a regular basis.

I want a few tips on the following: the backhand, more accurate drops and clears, the right form when hitting drives and smashes, and also maybe some examples of general strategies to use. BTW, at the club, they mostly play doubles, but I want to play singles also, once I enter competition.

Pls help! :( I really love the sport, and I want to make a name for myself while the competition is still minimal in my country.

#1 rp_badder, Mar 13, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    The best suggestion i could give you is:

Try and find a good coach.:) It works wonders.

It is best as you are 'starting from scratch' that you develope proper form and technique......from the start and don't develope bad habits that can be hard or almost impossible to break.

Can be expensive but it is well worth it.......If you are serious about playing Badminton well!

All the best in your quest

3. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Learn the proper techniques

If you learn the proper techniques (rather than gaining bad habits), you'll have an easier time playing and enjoying the sport. Just in time, a new badminton techniques book is out to help you: "Advanced Badminton Techniques: Whether you're a beginner or the best, your bible to better badminton"

Just like the best golf and tennis instructional manuals, this book is intuitive, evenly-paced. The text are short and very readable, yet complete and clear. There are loads of pictures to explain everything. It covers power: teaching you how to have more power in all your strokes: smashes, drives, serves, etc. It teaches control: how to make those deft drops and net shots. It teaches tactics: court rotation in doubles, what to do to overcome the stresses and anxieties of crucial points and remain cool and composed, sports psychology tactics, etc. It teaches the secret stamina techniques employed by world-class players so that you're almost never tired no matter how many smashes you pound throughout the match. It explains in step-by-step fashion how to do the most-requested techniques: jump smash, tumbling net drop, high backhand, late shots, etc. It mentions the common faults and how to avoid them and it gives great tips used by top players all throughout.

So if you're interested in getting better at badminton, check out "Advanced Badminton Techniques" at...

http://instructoons.com/book/

4. rasmoo

rasmoo Regular Member

hmm

have you read this book? is it worth it? or is this a shameless advertisment for your book?

5. rasmoo

rasmoo Regular Member

well i just read all about it from the previous post so ignore this one, sorry!

6. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    check out tutorial videos in the tournament video sharing forum. it's nice to see an enthusiast picking up the sport