Racket or Shoes?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Shocker85, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Shocker85

Shocker85 Regular Member

Hiya there peeps, I was planning on buying some new shoes (currently using running shoes =[ )or a racket, but i am left undecided and inconclusive. With that, i need your guys suggestion. Some background, I'm currently using a Prince Axis 70 and is considered an intermediate player ( i can semi-smash pretty well with this controlled racket). Was considering SHB-99 or either that, i will be buying an MP (30-44?)HELP! xDDDthanks for your time,tan

2. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    Are you more unhappy with your runners or your racket?

If you like your racket...keep it and get badminton shoes.

I feel it is better to have good court shoes for badminton than a better racket.

Running shoes are usually high in the heels and sharp on the soles corners......easy to roll ankle.

Badminton shoes(especially yonex) have good grip and shock absorbsion and also good stability. Pricey but I have shb89m or something can't remember but they are the best shoe I have ever bought....no regrets...last long too.

At the moment you have got a good/decent racket........get some good/decent shoes, this will probably help you more than getting a new racket and playing in runners. If you don't hve good grip you might not get to the shuttle to hit it with the new racket,lol:)

3. MikeJ

MikeJ Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I'm no expert, but I believe that you should invest in new badminton shoes.

I'm pleasantly surprised that by wearing running shoes while playing badminton, you haven't experienced any injuries. I've seen several accidents on the court because of improper footwear (mostly ankle and knee injuries).

IMHO, using a very good racquet while not wearing good badminton shoes is like having a powerful car (like a BMW 7-series) with the wrong set of tires. What good will a powerful engine do the car or driver if the car has small 165 tires? :D

That's just my opinion. :D Good luck! :D

4. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    good comparison...

get a badminton shoes, it doesn't have to be a 99mx, a cheaper one will still perform better than your running shoes

you can have some money left and get a better racket later

5. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    My advise is if you plan to play badminton regularly then having a proper pair of badminton shoes is more important that having a "better" racket. Agree with LongReach and MikeJ that normal running shoes will easily cause injury to ankle if you move around court quickly.

Having said that you need not necessary get the latest model of the Yonex range - most decent brand badminton shoes are well designed for badminton play. Other brands could do as good a job as well - you can refer to the Review section on shoes in the forum. You may end up saving some dollars on racket upgrade later!:D

Happy shopping!!!

6. drop_n_net

drop_n_net Regular Member

Student
    I think if you add in an extra bit of money, you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone. u can buy a cheaper pair of shoes(shb 52 or something like that) and that will get you enough money left over for the racket:D

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Shoes.

Good shoes prevent foot injury. Rackets don't prevent injuries.

Preventing injuries is more important than a marginal improvement in playing performance.

8. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

There is no doubt about it....................get the shoes............

:D

Everyone agrees:)

We all can't be wrong! ;)

9. Shocker85

Shocker85 Regular Member

this is awesome guys, i think i'll be getting them new shoes.Thanks for the help! :D

10. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Smart man!:)

Don't have to get really expensive shoes, aslongs as they fit well, have good cusioning/support , grip and are made strong they will last quite a while.

Your feet will love you for it!:D

All the best mate.

11. fishmilk

fishmilk Regular Member

Student
    Yeah definitely... new shoes always make me happy. They look so good, and usually are more comfortable due to the cushioning being new. Really pleases me.

New racquets are the absolute opposite. I spend forever trying to look for that perfect one, then when I get it, it takes FOREVER to get used to it. Until you're used to it, you play like crap. When you're used to it, you realize a racquet can't help much if you don't have skills and your new investment did little good.

Point: buy shoes =)