User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "Full Effort" Regulation.

In light of the recent controversial JO MS final, referring specifically to the 3rd set, does anyone know if BWF have any regulation concerning some sort of a punishment against players whom BWF deem to be guilty of bringing the sport into disrepute by failing to deliver their full effort in a match? I believe other sports national/continental/world governing bodies (e.g., ATP/WTA, various FAs, FIA, etc.) have something like it, mainly to discourage team orders (how do you spell F-e-r-r-a-r-i? ) and other types of match fixing. Do BWF have one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They penalised the China team a while back for the performance of one of their ladies doubles pairs.
    Someone else will remember the details better than me I expect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was during The WC 2003 BWF penalised Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen because they didnt give full effort during their match against Gao Ling and Huang Sui. As always the first set was great but the second was a disaster lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a good point. I haven't seen the JO MSF but from whart I read and hear it seems taufik was putting less than full effort.

It the interests of fairness Should taufik be penalised for this. Arguably he actions are worse than YW/ZJ as it was in the higher profile category of MS, in the Final of a 6* tournament on Live TV.

Th WD QF match in WC03 was in WD, in a QF, and not on a TV court.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't see how this rule can be enforced though, especially if the players are from different countries. there's a fine line between not putting in enough effort and being off-form or just tired. who's going to make that judgement? i think it's too subjective to consider ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why can it be enforceable on matches between the same countries and not enforced when players are representing different countries.

It is equally subjective and difficult to enforce.

WBF have to make the judgement, that is what they are there for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamzz
    i don't see how this rule can be enforced though, especially if the players are from different countries. there's a fine line between not putting in enough effort and being off-form or just tired. who's going to make that judgement? i think it's too subjective to consider ...
    That's what I was thinking. It would indeed be hard to enforce, and if anything would probably cause more of this dreaded controversy as there would more than likely be disagreements over BWF's judgement of a situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Syaoran_Style
    That was during The WC 2003 BWF penalised Yang Wei and Zhang Jiewen because they didnt give full effort during their match against Gao Ling and Huang Sui. As always the first set was great but the second was a disaster lol
    For the record, the penalty was against Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting in their WC 2003 WD finals match against Gao Ling and Huang Sui.

I watched that match, and didn't feel they were giving the match away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, the consensus appears to be that BWF do have a regulation to handle these sort of things, then. Anybody familiar with its details? For instance, the actual statute, how an investigation is initiated, how a judgement is made and by whom, the range of punishments, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa
    For the record, the penalty was against Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting in their WC 2003 WD finals match against Gao Ling and Huang Sui.

In fact Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting played Gao ling and Huang sui in the final and both pairs gave their best.
    The incindent happened in quater finals. i'll try to find the article for you =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About Taufik ! I really really admire him .. but when i saw the JO final i was sooo Disappointed ! He deserves to be punish ! that's just a shame for badminton ! In my opinion he insulted our sport ... he can't continue behaving like that. BWF should not let him participating in the Asian Games .. he'll understand what is to act like a child !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Nicholls
    They penalised the China team a while back for the performance of one of their ladies doubles pairs.
    Someone else will remember the details better than me I expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheongsa

The incindent happened in quater finals. i'll try to find the article for you =)
    ..(for those interested) here's a link to one thread of that incident...well, you guys can also search under the same sub-forum as well..
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ad.php?t=10961

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ------------------------------------------

Dont forget that nice guy Kenneth Jonassen did the same thing in

the HK Open semis against LD when he got so demoralised he just

gave up trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ummm .... hasn't it occured to anyone that the nss might be playing a part in this?

my feeling is, Duh!

if any player knows they cannot come back due to rallypoint I dont think they will try very hard.... and because of NSS you will also be seing alot of matches where they are probably be hiding the fact that they know its alraedy over

anyone see Poul Erik vs Dong Jiong? ... Erik came back from being down in points like 2-13 .......... and nobody seemed to be paying attention to all the dramatic endings to the matches in the last year before they removed 15x3 ... like in every tournament there were dramatic endings.

21x3 isn't badminton scoring, its more like a race in points or to make less mistakes in a pre-determined number of rallies.
    Last edited by wedgewenis; 10-20-2006 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think its up to TH coach if he should be diciplined, i do belive its not far to everyone, like the other player, the spectators and fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi i would like to comment on this full effort regulation,
    it is obvious that it would almost be impossible to have a control about whether someone is tryin their best or not,

Lets say:
    a) someone is not tryin their hardest and they win, do we penalise them?
    b) if someone is tryin their hardest but they just get owned do we penalise them?
    c) how bout external factors that are affecting them that the public do not know of that makes them unmotivated?

These are just examples of how this full effort regulation cannot be reinforced by IBF.
    But i believe that the nation itself or the player's coach has a responsiblity to overlook this problem but the MAIN factor would be the players themselves.

Just my 2 cents on this topic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20
    That is a good point. I haven't seen the JO MSF but from whart I read and hear it seems taufik was putting less than full effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20

It the interests of fairness Should taufik be penalised for this. Arguably he actions are worse than YW/ZJ as it was in the higher profile category of MS, in the Final of a 6* tournament on Live TV.

Th WD QF match in WC03 was in WD, in a QF, and not on a TV court.

talking abt taufik and the chinese ladies are different issue.

i remember hearing or saw some news regarding the chinese ladies saying that for that (or all) tournament when both chinese player met each other they are suppose to play their very best during the FIRST SET!! whoever lose the first game have to give up the 2nd set.
    This is to prevent them from getting too tired playing 3set of hard game between their own people, so the winner will be very fit enough to play in the next day against player from other country.
    UNLESS ITS FINAL then both side will go all the way for the title.

SO...i think if any player playing against other county and played too relax, or not putting in full effort should not be punished. because when he / she is tired and tryied too hard to keep up the speed, then he / she will be highly in risk from injury. dont you think that is worse?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast