Lin Dan era and 21 scoring

Discussion in 'China Masters 2006' started by tonyglandille, Mar 14, 2006.

1. tonyglandille

tonyglandille Regular Member

Don't you think that with the new scoring points, the domination of Lin Dan is over? I think that this year will see many player like LCW or PG or CJ win 6* tournaments.

This new scoring points desserve Lin Dan, cause he is a physical player who can beat all the player just by he's physical and know with this new scoring old player like PG who is for me much technical than LD will win against him. The best exemple is the SF AE2006 where LD return and win the match.

And if you look closely the SF against PG at the China Master 2006, PG would lost with the 15*3 scoring.

I don't think LD appreciate this 21*3 scoring system.

What is your opinion?

2. tutu_h

tutu_h Regular Member

hard to tell since this is only his first 21 point system in 2006. everything can happen

3. Chire

Chire Regular Member

Hopefully it will be rejected though, can't see why they're changing it all the time anyway.
    There's a point in what you're saying though, the matches are much shorter, and players whose gameplay is all based on their stamina renders them useless. Man that's sucky, because Lin Dan is physics-wise way above a whole load of players, whom he'd beat easily with the old pointing system.

4. tonyglandille

Lin Dan is not the only, look at the defeat of ZN or XXF, even if WL will become a great player I think that with the old scoring, she can't win against ZN or XXF. I really think that LD will not trust all the title this year and it is the same for ZN and XXF, It is a good think for the suspens in the tournament but not for the sport, look at the MD final, I think this is the most crapy double game that I saw!

5. peace

peace Regular Member

In my opinion, Lin Dan is still suitable with this new system (though this new system is so sad, hope IBF will turn to the old one). LD won Invitation World Cup last year which was also with this new system. I think he lost to PG, because of their balances. I remember that most of their matches are close and tight always.....

Hope he will do better in TC.....

6. Natrificial

Natrificial Regular Member

Articling Student
    LD just needs to adjust his game a little... attack even more often and with even more speed, because he knows the match will be shorter and won't have to conserve at all.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Interesting points.

I think the new game looks more like tennis or table tennis, ie no lobs etc.

Players seem more careful and miserly with their strokes.

I bet Chen Jin is also a table tennis player.

Its looks as if new system favours skill over fitness, like the commentator said, Peter gade does not like new scoring but the scoring likes him.

If the new scoring is used in Thomas Cup there will be more close matches and chances of a lot of upsets.

8. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    At the end of the China Masters China has come out openly in support of the new scoring system. But Denmark is against it and would like the 5 x 7 scoring system to be used. It is all over in the papers. I wonder why the 5 x 7 system is being brought up. Right now, it is going to be yes or no on the new 3 x 21 system. Bringing in the 5 x 7 system complicates things even more. And it is not even on the agenda. I wonder why?

9. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Nothing in Msia papers as all they talk abt is Commonwealth games.

In IBF site Denmark doubles admitted 21pt rally is to their advantage.

If there is a sudden change to 7 point China will have no chance to adapt,

whilst others with beytter skill may cope better.

Just as Ji Xin Peng was put out by 7 point system, I think same goes fr some China male players.

I think Denmark & Ina really fancy their chances in TCp as long as
    it is not the old 15 pt format.

10. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Jens Eriksen spoke openly against the 21 point system which is "killing the game" at the press conference after his final.

He also said that the MD final was uninteresting with too many mistakes and no long rallies, because of the scoring system.

List of players who have openly criticized the new system is growing : Gade, Hidayat, Hafiz, Tony, Howard, Eriksen ........

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Its all politics, Asia rejected 7 x 5, Europe rejects 21 x 3 rally point. I think that 7 x 5 is best personally if they are set on changing the system. I think its retarted how you can lose if you serve out. Also generally speaking badminton is a game of spurts. In many matches a player will score 2-4 points in succession, then the opponent will do the same. There are also pauses in the scoring such as two players stay at 5-6 for example for 5 minutes. The new scoring system eliminates that but can burry a player if the opponent gets a spurt.

Coming back from 11-3 is pretty exciting if you ask me..... but whatever we need to do to get badminton more on TV with bigger prize money!

12. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    i don't think the 21x3 game favors LD, from all the clips i see he is a slow start player, he can heat up in the middel of the game, where in the old 15x3 system there is still chances for him to catch up if this applies, but 21x3 can be challenging for him some of the time, Taufik seems to be similar imo, but PG is favored by the new system, this will give him a few more years to play if this system will stay

but the new system does indeed spice up the game for singles

and i also agrees that it will suck for double b/c the game ends too fast

i think endurance is also a skill, you still got to train for it, if you don't its your responsibility, just like skill and power

13. tonyglandille

I don't say that LD won't win anymore but with the new scoring player who make tight game against him has far more chance to win now, like PG or LCW and that why I think this year LD will not trust all the title like he do since 2 years.

In my opinion 5x7 is not good to, there already try 3x7 and I remind that this experiense are not really concluand for one point, the player has far less chance to come back. If you are not in the game at the beginning you lose really quick.

14. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    lin dan wont start as an aggressive player in the starting, i think normal players will also get used to it during the mid game, because our body needs to warm up so if you starting an early game, most probably your stamina will go down faster..
    for the 21 pt system, the gd thing is that it is an advantage to ppl above 25 years of age cause they might not need much stamina.

15. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

I am new to this forum so go easy on me!! I watched the Game between Peter Gade and Lin Dan the other day and I've also watched a few other of there games using both the new scoring and the old scoring. I enjoyed watching All England Final between LD & PG. It was a very close game with LD just scraping home in the end. The recent game in the China Masters using the new scoring system was also a good close game so here is what I think. I like the new scoring system for singles because I believe that people, both players and spectators can get used to it. Doubles however is a different story. I hate personally players doubles using the new rules, it is difficult for beginners to pick up and it makes the game less of a struggle. You start and before you blink it is over. I hope that the new system is kept for singles and the old system used for doubles. From asking spectators, most of them here in OZ enjoy the new system for singles.