badminton diet?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jas1121, Mar 14, 2006.

1. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    ey, can anyone here share thier diet plan here which includes the supplements tat u take too.

i recently bought an protein powder supplement by 21st century and its actually for muscle builders and rapid weight gain and its contains 750 calories per serving. its does increase energy and endurance, at least tats it says on the label. i don noe whether i should take it.

2. Mike89

Mike89 Regular Member

Still plodding away at school
    I don't think supplements are a good thing. I try to eat lots of protein. In the evening after training if I feel hungry and can't find anything in the fridge I make a milkshake with banana, milk and raw egg. (Oh salmonella I hear them cry... still not a stomach pain after 7 years of raw egg shakes..)

You never know what you're putting in your body when you take supplements. And I swear to a huge portion of lasagne 48 hours before a tournament. (garfield would agree...)

3. Grale

Grale Regular Member

Full Time Student
    Protein powder brands always market themselves on the most likely poeple to by their brand- people who want to build muscle fast. Don't be fooled by this as all athletes including professional and semi pro badminton players use it as means of increasing their protein in their diet. It will help you become stronger in your training, decrease your recovery time after sessions and fix muscular injuries quicker. If you do not go to the gym you will not put any weight on at all!!!

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Protein is for building structures in your body. If you are not going to grow anymore-and most adults are in this category-your protein needs are minimal and are required only to replace cells in your body that are being constantly replaced. Adults do not and cannot use protein to grow from a 2' child to a six-footer. If adults consume too much protein they will accumulate toxic waste.
    It is carbohydrates that sportsmen need. Carbohydrate loading helps before a tournament. I think Peter Gade does a little of carbohydrate loading. Only carbohydrates can give you energy on demand. Protein cannot give you energy.
    In addition to carbohydrates, the best beverage you can have is a large mug of cocoa plus skim milk drink. Cocoa will help your cells make more nitric acid and will make them take in more oxygen. The Argentina World Cup soccer team goes through this big mug of cocoa drink ritual every morning.
    As a matter of fact I have started a drink cocoa movement in Hong Kong and Malaysia with sportsmen and sportswomen, specifically for mountain hikers, golfers, badminton players, sedentary people who get tired running after a bus, etc. So far the movement is growing very fast. I just returned from Malaysia with 8kg of alkalized low fat cocoa powder.

5. hemants

hemants Regular Member

I agree with taneepak although protein can actually give you energy through a process called gluceneogenesis where amino acids get converted to glucose when there are insufficient carbohydrates in the diet.

But generally speaking, 60/20/20 carbs/protein/fat as a percentage of calories is a good rule of thumb for atheletes (bodybuilders likely need more protein).

More important than ratio's in my opinion is to make sure that the carbs and fats are healthy ones (whole grains, vegetables, unsaturated fats)

6. system32drivers

system32drivers Regular Member

would u consider coke as carbohydrate?

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Normally protein is not converted to carbs. If it does then you are literally 'eating' your own body, like prisoners of war of Changi prison during the Japanese occupation. Or like the muslim Bosnians a decade or so ago.

8. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Before training everyday I make sure to eat at least 3 hours and one hour before beginning training. This is just what I am accustomed to. I eat something with protein 3 hours before and a banana or toast with peanut butter or spinach salad one hour before. I also take Centrum as I have high iron requirements (not sure why). Within 30-45 minutes after training for 2-4 hours I take a protein shake. Then eat whatever after training b/c I am super hungry. 75% of the time after training I eat healthy... occasionally I just binge.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

If you are over 19 years of age you will be well advised to not overload yourself with too much protein, because your protein requirement is minute-only about 36g for every 100lbs of your body weight. A piece of lean meat weighing only 125g is more than enough protein for a day, assuming that your weight is 150lbs and that piece of meat is 45g protein, 45g fat, and 35g water, etc. A 3 year old kid will need almost 3 times the protein of an adult, on a per body weight basis.

10. psplrd

psplrd Regular Member

Well...
    Actually extra protein is gonna be wasted if inadequate energy consumption. The extra protein will be used for producing energy instead of tissues.:(

I agree with some that carbs is important but be cautious with "carbo loading'. Carbs hold water and certainly one does not want to carry all that extra water weight when runnign around in the badminton court. :eek: Therefore, the recommendation is to go easy on the carbo loading by spreading them out 1-2 weeks before tournment and not days prior.

In addition, players should constantly replenish the carbs in muscles during a match via sports drink or carb rich foods (banana). Carbs in muscle can be exhausted pretty fast during the first 15-20 minutes of a game cos of the high intensity nature of the sport.:)

11. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    thanks everyone for ur replies, now i have an idea to make my own diet plan.

12. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    It all depends on your body make up, in my case I take in a lot more protien than the average person. I tend to drink protien shakes more in the summer as the heat diminishes my appetite.

I'm, on average, 30 - 40 pounds heavier than the typcial badminton player who is the same height. I've got a lot of muscle mass and thus I need lots of protien to keep the muscles from breaking down.

I lift weight 5-6 times a week on top of cardio ( running, badminton, squash)

When I'm trying to lean down, like I am now, I tend to cut out a lot of the sweets and greasy foods ( not that I eat a lot of fast food anymore). I also lean more towards fruits and pasta for energy.

For example, breakfast will be one of the following:

1) a Banana with Peanut Butter
    2) Yogurt with two slices of toast
    3) Bowl of Cereal ( though rarely anymore as I found the milk causes mucus build up)

Mid-morning Snack:
    Apple Sauce/Fruit Cup and a granola bar

Lunch
    Apple/Grapes and Fruit Leather
    The odd day I'll pack a deli meat sandwich (Turkey, Smoked Chicken).

Dinner:
    Various Combinations of:
    Pasta, Chicken, Salad, Vegetables. BBQ steak. Sushi. Soup, Vietnamese Subs. I'd east more fish, but none of my kids like it. Most fast food is along the lines of Quiznos and Subway.

I like to stay away from Potatoes (especially french fries) and cut down on the sugared pop. My biggest vice is Fruit Juice which has mega calories. I'm drinking some diet pop, and still like gatorade, but trying mostly to stick to water and V8. I have vowed to eat more veggies ( hence the reason I drink V8)

Very little junk food, though if I get a craving I allow myself to have it. (The odd donut).

Keep it simple, more smaller meals...

13. Mike89

Mike89 Regular Member

Still plodding away at school
    ViningWolff... what is Fruit Leather??? Something Canadian? Sounds interesting.

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Whatever your weight or muscle mass your protein requirement is still a puny 36g per 100lbs of your bodyweight. Having more muscles just means that you have more water and less fat in your body and hence will weigh heavier, which is taken care of by the 36g protein requirement per 100lbs of your body weight.
    If you take too much protein far in excess of the 36g per 100lbs of body weight, and if your protein comes in the form of meat, meat, meat and nothing else, you are going to get into serious trouble later in life.
    A protein molecule is like a string of beads, and each bead is an amino acid. When meat protein is digested, these beads come apart and pass into your blood, making it slightly acidic. The human body is finicky about how acidic the blood gets because even a tiny change in acid levels can derange body chemistry. In the process of neutralizing that acidity, calcium is pulled from your bones, and passes out in the urine. The more protein you consume the more amino acids pour into your bloodstream and the more calcium you lose.
    Over time the once powerful and muscular body will have weakened bones, if protein is consumed in excess.

15. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    That's why I also have increased calcium intake to go along with it. I also take an anti-oxident.

That 36 grams/100 lb ratio applies to a person of average fitness on a maintain only basis. if I stuck to that, I'd wither away. In fact I'd start breaking down. I know this from experience.

Given my weight is around the 210 lb mark and I train twice a day most days, my intake in minimum of 150 grams a day. I if don't take that in, I feel it. Then again, I'm not in maintain mode, I'm in increase mode.

16. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

A thing about calcium which may surprise you : A group of Yale University researchers looked at hip fracture rates in sixteen countries. Because osteoporosis is particularly aggressive in women after menopause, they focused on women over fifty. They expected to find that countries with a higher calcium intake would have fewer fractures. But that was not what they found at all. To their surprise, just the opposite was true. Countries with greater calcium consumption actually had more hip fractures, not fewer.
    Calcium was not causing the fractures. The countries with a high calcium intake happened to be those where Western diets-meat and dairy products-were popular. When the researchers looked at how much meat these populations ate and their incidence on hip fractures, they found their culprit. The more meat people ate, the more fractures they had. The problem was apparently something in the meat, and the high calcium intake was not able to stop the fractures. Meat protein makes your blood chemistry acidic, which in turn pulls calcium from your bones at a faster rate than your calcium intake.
    The 1992 Yale research paper was titled 'Cross-cultural association between dietary animal protein and hip fracture: a hypothesis. Calcified Tissue International.' The authors were Abelow, B.J., T.R. Holford, and K.L. Insogna

17. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    WARNING: Association is not causation :)

18. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    That's an old paper that was trying to establish a hypothesis. It's 14 years old and sadly outdated.

Sorry, I take research papers with a huge grain of salt. Why? I used to be in the R&D business (pharmaceuticals) and have taken Biosciences.

I could throw in a simple variable such as well water (luckily I never had to drink it, yeeech) which will completely throw a wrench into body chemistry (people who are on well water have an increased mineral intake that has shown increased bone density and hardened tooth enamel to the point dentists have to use diamond drills)

It's no different than the controversy of Atkins. Bodybuilders have been doing it for decades (it was simply known as the high fat diet) though Aktins made a lot of general claims, the diet will effect people the same way.

I tried Atkins. My appetite actually increased. (that was bloody expensive, but in three weeks I dropped 14 pounds and close to 5% body fat)

I've read of people going on it and having huge health problems. Guy I carpool with, was on it four months, dropped almost 50 points of his cholesteral and dropped a few pant sizes. It depends on your body.

Bottom line is that if you are looking for a diet, you need to consult a nutritionist after completing a battery of tests. I have three friends who are certified nutrionists to draw information from and know enough bio-chemists that I can really get into it if need be.

19. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

You may want to check and confirm if consuming too much protein will cause the following:
    1. High protein meat-based diets have higher cancer rates and lower life span.
    2. There is a strong correlation between protein intake and cancer of the breast, prostate, pancreas and colon.
    3. Protein is essential but also health-destroying, if taken in excess.
    4. Cells overburdened with protein become toxic.
    5. Undigested protein damages the kidneys.
    6. It breaks down the pancreas, lowers resistance to cancer and diabetes, if in excess.
    7. The US Government has revised its daily protein recommendation from 118g to 46g to 56g in the 1980s, and now to 25g to 35g. Many nutritionists now suggest even lower, to 20g per day.
    8. You lose more calcium if you take a 1,400mg calcium supplement daily and consume a huge 75g protein intake, because the calcium loss from your bones caused by your acidic blood is more than your calcium intake of 1,400mg.
    9. An average American consumes in excess of 100g protein daily. Just look at the poor people in New Orleans during the Katrina debacle-typical unhealthy specimens of meat-base protein in excess.

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    latest and greatest

Switching to vegetarian keeps weight down: study By Patricia Reaney
    Tue Mar 14, 9:09 AM ET

If you want to keep the weight down, switch to a meat-free diet, scientists said on Tuesday.

Researchers who studied the eating habits of 22,000 people over five years, including meat eaters and vegetarians, found they all put on a few kilos but meat eaters who changed to a vegetarian or vegan diet gained the least.

"Contrary to current popular views that a diet low in carbohydrates and high in protein keeps weight down, we found that the lowest weight gain came in people with high intake of carbohydrates and low intake of protein," said Professor Tim Key.

The research compared weight gain among meat eaters, fish eaters, vegetarians and vegans -- who eat no animal products -- and is published in the International Journal of Obesity.

It showed that on average people gained 2 kilos (4.4 lb) over five years. None of the volunteers was overweight.

"The weight gain was less in the vegans than in the meat-eaters and somewhere in between in the other groups," said Key, of Britain's Cancer Research UK charity and the University of Oxford, who conducted the study.

"The lowest weight gain was in people who changed their diet to eat fewer animal products," he told Reuters.

Key and his colleagues said exercise was another important factor in controlling weight.

"The data also showed that people who became more physically active during the five-year period gained less weight than people who did very little exercise," Key said.

The findings are from the British arm of EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), which is comparing the diets of 500,000 people in 10 countries to discover how diet is linked to cancer.

The EPIC study has already revealed that diabetics have three times the normal risk of developing colorectal cancer, which kills more than 490,000 people worldwide each year.

It also showed that diet is second only to tobacco, as a leading cause of cancer, and, along with alcohol, is responsible for nearly a third of cancer cases in developed countries.