Jump Smash and back hand power

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Jump Smash, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Jump Smash

Jump Smash New Member

• Intermediate
    • Nicely built
      male/15, 5'6'', strong
    • How to do a decent jump smash and how to get power on backhand baseline returns
    • I play singles badminton, and my biggest weakness is my backhand. After rounds of playing, my opponent will discover my weakness and clear to my back hand to the baseline. And I always end up getting a really weak return to his midcourt, where he does this super cross-court jump smash. Sometimes I do a backhand drop shot to "recover", but it is not the greatest choice. I've worked on my arm strength, but I think it's the technique. Is there a better way to do it? For example, on a forehand clear, you can rotate your hip to get more power, what do you do on a backhand return?
    • And can someone show me the step-by-step to do a jump smash?
    Thanks!!!!!!

2. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    backhand + jump smash

Hi. Our book "Advanced Badminton Techniques" available now at...

http://instructoons.com/book/

..gives complete instructions along with pictures/drawings to illustrate how to do the proper backhand and jump smash.

Basically, try this:

for the backhand, your hand should be like doing a karate chop and not a backfist, then at impact, you whip it into a knocking-at-a-door motion. For the jump smash, the key is to bend your knees before you jump, then jump and bend your legs behind you, next kick straight down, then hit your smash. These steps assure you of good weight shift and power. There's more in the book if you're interested.

Care take.

3. hemants

hemants Regular Member

If it's a lofty shot, run around it and hit around the head.

IF it's a flat attacking clear, hit a backhand cutoff.

Try to avoid hitting an overhead backhand if it's floating down on you.

4. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

i usually don't need to hit backhands that much since i can go around the head. when i do, i just do drops and try to get back to base position asap. remember that if they clear to your backhand, you can usually do the around the head shot. if you can't get to it, that means you just need to work on footwork and get faster.

5. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    u'll need a strong wrist to do a backhand clear. i suggest u use a squash racket and move it as if u are hitting the shuttle as many times as u can.

this will improve the strenght of ur wrist in order for u to do a backhand clear and also remember to aim it far not high like a shooting lob.

hope it helps.

6. gk_sezhian

gk_sezhian Regular Member

I paid for the book through paypal but how to download it.I was assuming after paypal it will direct to the download page

7. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Although this thread is ancient, I've never seen a decent written step by step on how to jump smash. So here are the main components to a jump smash.

1) Start with your legs staggered roughly a shoulder's width apart with your racket foot behind. Both arms should be close to your body, with your racket arm relaxed and using a relaxed forehand grip.

2) Jump

3) Immediately after the jump, curl both legs up towards your bum and pull your elbow back while keeping your racket in front. Non-racket arm should extend forwards, upper body should be upright.

4) Raise your elbow while simultaneously moving your forearm to the supinated position, racket should be behind you and close to your back.

5) Kick out and pronate your forearm. Non-racket arm should be brought into the body, and your upper body should be upright at all times, even after landing.

Tips:
    For more power, arch your back during 3).
    If you are jumping forwards or backwards, you must keep your upper body upright during 3). If you are jumping forwards, curl your legs in more. If you are jumping backwards, curl your legs in less.
    If you are moving backwards into a jump smash, do not move back standing tall. Move back while gradually lowering your upper body, keeping it upright.
    Steps 4) and 5) should be done in smooth succession when you are ready to hit the shuttle.

Remember: there are many ways to hit a jump smash, and you need not follow all these steps to the letter. Everyone should experiment and discover their own technique that they feel comfortable with. Happy jump smashing!