Returning Smashes

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by slow_shash, Mar 15, 2006.

1. slow_shash

slow_shash Regular Member

Engineering student
    I am a college level player but i still cannot return smashes to the back of the court. my reflexes aren't very good and i get stuck between backhand and forehand on the forehand side (underarm).what does it take wrist flexibility ,forearm strength ,reflexes?
    pls help.

2. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    It's more of a reflex shot than anything else. You must be drilled many times to achieve that level of play. But depending on where the smasher is sometimes you don't want to return a high one to the back of the court.

For instance when the smasher shames from the back of the court, you don't want to give the guy more cannon fodder by lifting it back to him again. A block with the racquet to just make the shuttle cross the net like a netshot would prolly help you more in that situation.

But regarding your post, I reckon you should just practice swinging the forehand return and getting accustomed to it. Just remember when practicising to not use the bad habit of switching to a backhand when the shot is clearly meant for a forehand underarm clear.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

for quick reflexes relaxing is key. also goodfootwork is key to returning smashes. its all about the preloading jump!

4. pandee720

pandee720 Regular Member

try hitting against the wall. that'll make your reflexes faster. as for wrist strength, use a squash racquet or tennis racquet and swing a couple of times per day. don't overdo it the first time or else you might injure your wrist. try increasing gradually. and then again, there's experience...

5. sala_ryan

sala_ryan New Member

Student
    I think that u better get someone who have a good smash and practice returning his smash, by either just putting it over the net or lobbing it...
    You'll get it in 1-2 weeks.

6. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    You don't even need someone to smash at you. Just have someone at the net throwing shuttles at you. That's a good way to start.

7. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    walling dude, play with the wall:) make your wrist snap stronger so you can send it way back the other end.

8. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

yea, its all about the wall, i think.
    you gotta hit the shuttle with a fairly decent amount of strength to get it to pop back far enough and fast enough to keep up the rally.