I want to get a racket..any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by sky713, Mar 16, 2006.

1. sky713

sky713 Regular Member

Student
    im using this really heavy and cheap one at the moment..its starting to break so i want to get one thats better(maybe around 80g)..but not too expesive.. possibly less than 50pounds(around US$90)...anyone know which one would be good:confused:
    i normally play doubles...what info do i need to give..? ive not brought a proper racket before..and preferably one thats good for smashing too:)

thx for the help

#1 sky713, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  2. sky713

sky713 Regular Member

Student
    im thing of the Armortec series...maybe Armortec-300? on the yonex site, it says stiffness is medium..im not sure whats the difference between flexible, medium, stiff & xtra stiff

3. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I'd suggest a more even balance racquet, probably Flexible to Medium-Stiffness.

Flexibility of the shaft gives more power Depending on the player. E.g. weaker players, in my experience, generally benefit and get the most power they can out of a more flexible or mid-flex to mid-stiff shaft. Stronger players with the correct techniques can benefit from mid-stiff, stiff, to extra-stiff shafted racquets. There is a level of personal preference with it too.

I suggest something not Yonex for lower-cost racquets, generally. Work on your skill before buying even just a 'reasonably' expensive racquet is my advice.

For example: Inflight TP15: http://www.centralsports.co.uk/shop.php?page=detail&product=4803

Or if you want something Very light, but a bit more expensive: Ashaway Ti 130: http://www.centralsports.co.uk/shop.php?page=detail&product=4863

Even-balance will prove best I believe, head heavy may be harder to get used to and control is also important, even balance is a good compromise for good power and good control. I believe the TP15 is even-balance, and the Ti 130 is even balance to "mildly" head-heavy.

If you really want an Armortec, I wouldn't suggest the 300, it's probably only slightly easier to use than the Armortec 500, and is only, on all British badminton sites I've seen, very slightly cheaper. So the AT500 (2005) is better value, in my opinion.

Any racquet which is Even-balance, and 3U, is generally good for below intermediate level players generally. Far better than any shop-bought £10-£20 racquet, usually. As long as you have a "decent enough" racquet, training skill, and getting more time on court is Far more important.

4. eguitarcoolboy

eguitarcoolboy Regular Member

Hi Sky713, haha i am new here. but i spent some time reading ppl's precious knowledge and opinion think i can help a little bit perhaps. The stiffness of the racket actaully differs the power and control of the racquet. From what i read, the more flex the racket the more control you get but less power, the stiffer the racket the more power but less control. Which means you need higher level of skills to use a stiffer racket to balance your performance otherwise you might end up injure yourself with poor performance. Please correct me if i am wrong. Thank you and one more thing. I still dont understand when ppl say the racket is stiff, does that mean the material used or the shaft or any other things??

Kent

5. sky713

sky713 Regular Member

Student
    the one im using before is wilsons Ti smash one..don;t know what type it is..
    my skills now improved a lot as ive been playing twince a week for about a yr now..but don;t know what level im at..im fast at moving round the court, im good at playing at the net and ok at smashing..(recently learned how to smash properly from watching badminton matches)

thx for ur help Spaterson and eguitercoolboy:)

ps. do stiff rackets break easier from collision too?

6. SPaterson

SPaterson Regular Member

Student, Programmer
    I'd say pretty much all racquets (apart from Steel/Aluminium ones) have little difference in their durability. Stiff racquets are "probably" slightly easier to break, but if the collision is powerful enough to break a stiff racquet, it'll most likely be powerful enough to break a flexible one too; especially as typically all racquet Heads are similar in their stiffness, the shaft doesn't change much in a collision IMO.

- Indeed, watching badminton videos, asking questions, reading up on techniques and watching Anything like training videos is very useful in badminton. You don't have to spend all day every day doing it, just watch something, and learn One main thing from it, and Remember it for when you play next time. Keep telling yourself what you learnt and it'll Very quickly become second nature.

---

As for the Wilson Ti Smash, I'm pretty sure my Very first one was either the same of a 'Wilson Ti Comp', which given they'll both be about the same price, I think it was about a 105g Racquet frame. Yours is probably 100 to 105g, I'd guess.

Even an 85g-89g ("3U") racquet will truly feel Much lighter. It doesn't sound like a Huge different, but it really is.

7. sky713

sky713 Regular Member

Student
    yes, TiSmash is 100g..my fd had a 3U yonex one, i picked it up and feels so much lighter...
    i think im going to go to the shops to have a look at some rackets tomorrow:) but not neccesary buy it yet, thx so much for ur help~~!

8. tangy

tangy Regular Member

student
    try ashaway tp990 its alot like the yonex mp 99 but alot cheaper