Badminton Etiquette 101

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by r0adk1ll, Mar 16, 2006.

1. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    In casual games (non-tournament) is it bad etiquette to smash all weak clears? Could that be ever considered as bad sportsmanship?

2. fanatico

fanatico Regular Member

Student
    no its means good sportsmanship. showing your opponent respect, by not giving chance

3. wasdy

wasdy Regular Member

Having been on the opposite end of that scenario (where the people are only smashing at my partner and not me) i have to say it does make the game pretty frustrating. Especially in casual games where everyone is there just to have fun, just smashing at the weaker one might make the game not as fun for both the person not getting smashed at, and the person always getting smashed at (especially if he gets frustrated that he can't return the smashes because he/she is weaker). Personally i usually smash at the stronger player just to keep a good rally going, but i guess if you just really want to win this casual game (for whatever reason) then maybe that could justify smashing at the weaker player only, to me anyway. Hope this helps, and this wasn't meant to offend anyone who might do contrary to what i do.

4. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

well, you don't smash everything, obviously.
    pick the times.
    if you got a whole second or two to walk up and drill it into the floor, and everyone on the other side is ducking for cover, don't go putting holes in the floor. haha.

like always, mix up the shots, don't always smash the weak clears, rather, mix in a few drops, or drive them back flat.

if they're a weaker pair, and its a casual game, its no fun if you dominate everything, right?

practice some shots. send up some poor shots yourself and practice some defense and panic-footwork :)

5. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Just dont go outta your way to smash it, and besides, it's not as if you're head hunting or playing newbie players, so go ahead.

6. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Just a little common sense will do I think. I still remember back then I was a pure beginner and someone was smashing at me most of the time. The supposed fun game quickly turned into total frustration and I couldn't wait to leave the court. IMHO, when you are obviously a better player and not playing for serious competition, refrain from smashing will prove to be much more enjoyable to both parties.

7. PhoenixMateria

PhoenixMateria Regular Member

All of a sudden, I've been playing a whole different game... I've picked a couple things from Chen Hong vs Kenneth Jonassen in the China Maters. My whole style has changed, along with the general way I play.

For example, I'll keep every element of my game in mind while moving quite deliberately, without running around like an idiot, and taking the shots I find appropriate, focusing on tactics, more than actual precision of shots.

I'll stay relaxed, and vary my shots, even if it's an "obvious smash". I just put pressure and get a different feel for the game. So when I play weaker opponents, I get to practice my shots, and I don't play lower either. We all get to learn that way.

So people can enjoy the game and I can, people can practice and get better and I can, wether my opponents are weaker, stronger or about the same level. :p

8. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    I don't think it is bad to smash all weak clears in a social match(unless they do not get any back at all...that is just mean:mad: ).....but I do mix it up with drops and other shots I want to practice.

In a social match I do not smash at the weaker player all the time.....mainly to the stronger, but give the weaker player a few aswell........why? It is good practice for him to get use to faster smashes to lift.......sometimes they surprise you!

I usually smash most weak clears in social games but with less power and work on steepness of my smash than all out power.

I hate when in real games the opposition don't hit to me!
    It is frustrating in a 3X15point game when you get to hit the shuttle like 10 times and your partner gets like 200.

9. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    If the person is weaker than you, it's not very sporting. Of course it's a balance, but if you get your kicks from smashing weak clears, go hang out with elementary school kids. You'll find they can't clear it more than half court and you'll get all the chances in world to show how strong a player you are.

Playing someone who you could dominate if you really geared up is a good oppertunity to work as a bit of a coach. Give them some confidence by extending the rallies and after the game give them some pointers. When I was a junior, I couldn't wait to step on the court with some of the better players at my club. Getting 7,8,9 points on one of these much stronger players really made my night. Even if they had a few extra chances in the rally where they could have really hammered it home, at the end of the day, I had really worked for my few points. And in the end, my shots that made points were quality shots. I believe that type of training is very important and if you arn't willing to do this for a weaker player, I believe either you should change clubs or they should. I've left clubs because the level was too weak. My club has asked people to leave because they were too weak. I've left a club because I felt too weak. It's a balance.

10. dkroft

dkroft Regular Member

student
    I agree mostly with Fanatico (near the top of the page) on this one, and I'll explain why.

When I'm playing with weaker players, which is almost everyone in my phys ed class, I usually play a bit softer on the smashes. I mean, they don't get discouraged as much, and there's no use wearing out a shuttle when you don't have to, haha. Someone said it made a good coaching opportunity, and I can empathize; I've given plenty of tips myself.

HOWEVER, when I'm playing against my phys ed teacher, who plays badminton very, very well, I don't like playing him when he's not playing hard. Generally, he'll let me get 4 or 5 points in a 15 point game. I'm pretty sure that if he were playing hard, he could consistently hold me to 0, or possibly one if he hit a smash or two into the net. I don't like when people go easy on me, that's all.

11. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

You could, instead of smash, work on your placement of the bird. If you are that muc better than them, than try to place the bird where you think they can JUST get it, just within, or just outside of their range, where they really have to work for it. You get to practice your placement of the bird, and they get the satisification of getting a good rally. Try it. It is actually quite hard to do. :)